What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well yeah

ok guys, ive had some problems and some people wondering why my name is altrade212, well my screen name on ebay is altrade and i figured that it would be easy to name this one the same, now some peole have been saying, they dont trust me in the forums, and i dont see how i have offened anyone, and for the person who says i dont post anywhere else only in the trade forums *no names* look in the drosea, utric and dionea help forums, i post there too and once in the pings, its not very nice to accuse me of things just beacuse of a screen name, the only reason i ask for plants or seeds is beacuse im a newbie and i want to have a nice collection, so for the *no name* person, dont judge a book by its cover and for whoever else has had any thoughts about who i am and what not, and yes my best friend is amatur_expert and NO he is not altrade, and as soon as i get big plants i will trade and give seeds, im not just here to take, i want to be as genorous as everyone else, well i guess thats it.. thanks for listening you guys..

Uhm... Wow...

Think you're over reacting a bit?
laugh.gif

people just need to know before they assume

Maybe if you called the person that upset you a doo-doo head it might help. Thats what I tell the people I deal with.
smilie4.gif

Ironic, you mention over reacting!

Altrade212, If you've done nothing wrong, theres nothing to worry about.

Joe

Yes , dont worry about those people... I have even gotten pms commenting on how i never visit the trade forums.

If I am "that" person, I have to say that I don't think you did anything wrong, All Trade - not really. You just were unaware of the rules. There have been a number of problems in the past with people asking for freebies: its sort of natural to want these plants if you are into this at all. But when everyone gets to doing it regularly, it makes it hard to track real trade offers and put it on the mods to keep an eye on things. Now, I am by nature a generous person, and I enjoy offering my stuff for free. I generally offer so much material in a year, that you would have to triple whatever growspace you currently have from MY offers alone, not to mention those from many other forum members who also have a sharing ethic. Rather than trying to get everything at once, without knowing what you are doing or where to put it, why not try learning some techniques, one of which is to demonstrate a little patience and ability before asking for everything?

The following doesn't apply to you alone. The are other "newbies" here that have the same urgencies. I was there once myself. I used to HOPE a plant would grow, even if those with experience told me I had not a prayer. Very rarely would they be willing to part with something they knew they were sending to certain death, but occasionally they did grant me that favor so that I could learn for myself....and you know what? 99% of the time they were right. You can't just hope to grow many of these plants. BUT they did not often repeat the favor. With some things, you get one chance.

The purpose of this Forum is not to get free plants. It is to discuss and learn, and thereby earn your chance to successfully grow what you want to grow, and to make the most of that "one chance".

I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings, and there's nothing wrong in not knowing how things work. This is a good place to learn many things: how to sucessfully grow the plants, and how to also be a functioning member of a very fine community that demonstrates some of the very best qualities of man: sharing, sympathy, frienship and support. We welcome younger members here, but also expect a demonstration of maturity from them. I have been seeing too much bickering and demanding here, and it needs to stop. You can bet the Mods are watching all this, and if I guess it right, patience will be wearing a bit thin. A word to the wise.

The reason I insist that the trade forum be free of requests for freebies is just this: if you take seed and grow it well, you will have much to trade with others. I go through considerable trouble to insure that you have this chance through my free offers and my teaching here. "Having" or "Giving" is a requisite for posting on the trade forum. Consider this the challenge. If you waste the chances that are given because you can always get more, where is the impetus to learn to do more than hope these plants will grow?

If there is a single time honored true and tested fact of CP growing, that is it. Earn the respect of other growers, and the gates of the kingdom will be flung wide. Otherwise, wait and hope.

well its not ALL-TRADE its altrade al for alfredo (my name).. and i know this is not to get free plants,a nd i know it is to disscuss and learn, thats why i also post for help in other sections, you can ask anyone, as a matter of fact, you helped me out on questions before! and i never say i wont trade, i just never say i do, that does not mean i wont, usually i would wait till the other people pm me then i'd ask if they'd like a pack of seeds or so that i got from SASE's orr what not, dont take it personal but dont be so quick so jump at correcting others mistakes without really knowing if they made one, i do fully understand what you are saying though tamlin, thanks for your concern..

You know, the thing you offer to trade sometimes doent always have to be carnivorous, altough most members would prefer that it were. Perhaps you have an unusual tree or shurb around your house, and you propigated seedlings from it and offerd to trade some seedlings for any carnivorus plant hat you dont already have. The species range would be broad, and if anyone was interested they would offer to trade. If not... well not many people need tree seedlings anyway.

For example; a few years ago there was a Alternate-Leaf Dogwood living on the edge of our property. Its a vary hardy species that can survive where most other dogwoods would fail, like in dry upland sites. A great wildlife tree that provided food for a whole range of species ; it is virtualy inpossible to obtain one in the hotaculture trade, because it is distinguished from similar species by minar botonical differences, like leaf arrangement.

Say i took 5 white berries from that shrub and sprouted them (i wish i had now.)
Boom! the saplings would be something you could offer for trade. if anyone was interested, great! if not, then, well, you have 5 fine young specimans of a tough and uncommon shrub to plant trought your yard, or, wherever.

Thats a way you could obtain something tradeable. I wish i had propigated that shrub now for trading; it was removed 2 years ago for construction.

I wonder if anyone is interested in trading crab grass? You say why crab grass? Keeps people off your yard.
smile_m_32.gif

Sand burrs do the job mutch better

I hope you see my point about learning to grow well enough to produce your own trade material? That is the point I am trying to make here.

Sure, trading for other things is fine, but it doesn't bring the RESPECT.

Other options on the trade forum include a simple request format "Looking for Nepenthes argentii: please PM me to discuss the details" this allows you make contact and work it out in private. If you can convince someone to give you what you want , it is between you and them.

But, until you offer your own material, you will still remain a "newbie", and this will limit you. I look for growers to share my plants with. Growers who demonstrate both skill and sharing are the ones who get boxes of plants from my collection, eventually.

If I am a grower of other intermediate -difficult tropicals, am I still a newbie when i started on Cps?

Joe

you stop being a newbie when you gain respect, give it, know what your talking about, and share.

that's what i think anyway lol.

Mastering a species means growing it from seed to seed, and sharing those seeds you produced is the best demonstration that you have acieved this. After a few demonstrations, people figure you are a good bet to keep the ball rolling with their rare material, if and when it is produced.

Hmmmm, just because you can grow orchids, tropicals or cacti doesn't mean that you have CP culture down, although someone with a taste for rare exotics and can grow them well certainly shows potential.

See, newbies don't have the big picture yet. I may post a photo of D. graomogolensis and have 5 people PM me asking for it. It is a stunningly beautiful plant! WHat they dont realize is that someone initially shelled out several thousand dollars, and scrambled through rotting shale, pricker bushes, picking off slime leeches, and boiling inside their skin, and dodging illegal gold miners who shoot first and ask questions later. Then it is hunt belly down until *maybe* the plants are found and identified. Specimens have to be collected, recorded, packaged and shipped. Then someone has to grow them, (takes almost 2 years for seed) and offer the resulting seed for sale (expensive). It is not just sold to anyone (as above), and if you are not in the IN crowd, you need to find some kind soul lucky enough to have gotten a piece of it, has grown it, and has it or seed for sale. This is where I usually come in to the picture. I have a good rep as a skilled and generous grower. Still, I looked and begged for 5 years for D. graomogolensis before finding it. I still am looking for D. chrysolepsis. Now my first seed is ripening! Do you think, after all this, that I am going to share this with someone who is asking "how do I grow D. capensis"? Nope. Not going to happen. I will share with someone who is likewise growing similarly related species, in hopes that it will result in a trickle down effect over time.

But there is a danger here as well! This methodology has been attempted by other growers, and it has been a failure! Following just this protocol usually means the material is circulated in an elite circle, which is NOT optimal if you want to see it become well established in general cultivation. So, I do some teaching and observing. When I see successes start coming from a novice grower, and other less rare material being grown well and *shared*, THEN I will offer them a chance to help with the work of spreading it.

How else to go about it? I am open to suggestions.

Back