What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Escapees! every one of my birds loose!

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Hi everyone, i ahve a problem.

When i opened the giant  birdcage today to replace some objects in there, my birds freaked; every single one flew past my head and into the house. That would not have been a big deal, but the door was open and they all left the room.

This is a big problem because they are untamed and essentially wild. As such, they wont come on demand, and definatly do not want to go back in a cage, no matter how big it is (about 1 meter square.) Have you ever tried to catch a wild animal by hand? not easy, let me tell you.

Now you may be wondering why this is such a big deal.

The big deal is that these animals cant understand the dangers in a household, and there are many of them for birds.

For example, upon reaching the dining room, one of my males and his mate flew straight twards the picture window at full speed, slamming into it and rocishetting off of it onto the ground.  
smile_h_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thank god both of their necks were not broken.

From there the flock split up. One went into the dining room and one went downstairs, while the rest flew onto the chandeleer on the 2-story high ceeling near the balcony overlooking the dining room  
mad.gif

I followed the one that went donstairs, and the sequence of -get 7 feet from the bird, and then follow where it flees untill you can get close enough to grab it- would be repeated over and over with  the rest of them. That sequence lasts on average of 45 minuits for each bird...

The finches perched on the chendeleer 2 storys up were too smart to be scared off by just me, waving my arms and yelling.

And, thus, my old wooden glider comes into play. I had to scare them off to a hight where i could catch them, and for this purpouse the glider worked wonderfly.

I have 4 of them caught now and i am so exausted from that effort that im going to have to rest before i try again. The ones still loose are as fast as ever.

I am worried that i cant seem to locate all of my birds that are still lose. I am worried about this fact. I hope they arnt hurt. I will keep you posted on my progress.
smile_l_32.gif

I'm sorry Finch...that's terrible.
smile_h_32.gif

Do you have an aviary net? If not, I'd go get one. It makes catching birds SO much easier. I have one. You can get them at Petsmart. They are made specifically for catching birds with fine netting so their feet and beaks don't get tangled up. It also extends your reach for catching them up high.

I hope you get them all and they aren't hurt.

yicks..good luck, ooo look! ones over here!
laugh.gif
i hope you get them all man!

Time to get the butterfly net out....

I can just imagine you doing that!
laugh.gif

Well I hoep you get them all, and then tame them, so if this ever happens again you can catch them and return them into the cage with ease, instead of running up and down the house chasing birds.

Well I hope you get them all and thta they are all O.K.

ooooooo, that sounds painful for a bird to slam into a door!
smile_h_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Thanks guys. I have finally got everyone back. The rest happened pretty much like the first, with me chasing them around. But i still couldnt find two. It took me a hour and a half looking in every conceivible place. One of those two missing finches were found under the coutch, wich he must have clawled under to hide. But the biggest shock came when i looked between the counter and the range. There, wedged in what was no more than 1/2 a inch of space was my missing female. Im gussing that when she flew into the kitchen and landed on the stove, she lost her footing on the slippery surface and fell. This particular female has had a bad string of luck lately. She accidentaly crushed her eggs, and her male recently paired with another female, leaving her alone.

It took me awhile, but she is out from the crack and seems no worse for wear.

In fact, seeing that shes single, two of the cage bacholers are already courting her.

PAK,
I didnt know that there were bird nets. Thanks, i have to look for one next time im in town.

This sounds like something that would have happened to me. I can relate, and you are to be commended for your efforts in caring for your charges. That was a lot of worrisome work!

Well, at least they were all in the house.. o_O

Glad to hear they are all A ok
smile.gif
(Hope that female with the crushed legs heals)

LOL Spec...you need to read a little closer. That was "crushed EGGS"...not crushed legs.
laugh.gif

Finch...go to any pet store that sells birds and ask for an AVIARY net. The mesh netting is very fine...almost solid but not like cloth. It keeps their feet and claws from poking through and hurting them. Fish or butterfly nets won't do...net mesh too open! They aren't very expensive. I've used mine quite successfully to capture birds that sometimes get into my house and fireplace through the chimney.

They are well worth the small investment.

Oh, nevermind, PAK beat me to the "crushed legs" comment ;)

-though it was confusing, since finch mention that the birdie slipped...

I've had a Giant African Millipede escape for 2 months, A giant Madagasgar (sp?) Roach for a day, And a leopard gecko for a month. The millipede was hibernating IN a couch
laugh.gif

Thanks PAK. Do these aviary nets have soft rims? These things are extreemly fast, and if i brought the net down and if the bird flew under the rim while i was doing it, i would not have enough time to react- and the rim may strike the bird, seriously injiring it. Thats why i woluld need a soft, pliable rim. So far i have not been able to find such a net.:(

the female who got stuck looks like the white bird in this picture, incase... you were wondering what it looked like. She is a Recessive Silver Zebra Finch, and the prize of my flock. Its quite uncommon. Im trying to breed her, but no luck so far.

1z-rs.jpg

photo by Myra

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]LOL Spec...you need to read a little closer. That was "crushed EGGS"...not crushed legs.
LOL!!! I also thought it said "legs"!!!!
I can relate too! I have two lovebirds (my pic altavar... the "blue" one is Caribe and the "green" one is Mango...I didn't name them) but they're tame (that they don't do what we want is another matter! they think they rule the universe! LOL!!!) and so we can let them roam arround the house. They only go to two rooms and we are sure to have a bird-proof house (aldough sometimes we under estimate them and they chew our plants!!!!).
anyway they're the most awsomest birds ever
biggrin.gif
they're smart too!!! sometimes too smart!

Goodness, shed be in a whole mess of trouble if her legs were crushed. But finches are surprisingly resiliant to fractures and can heal (ambiant crookedly) without the aid of a splint or lots of rest. But that puts alot of stress on the animals that i would like to avoid if it ever happenes.

Lovebirds, huh? I love hookbills, they are the amoung the wonderfull birds to own. They are intelegent, and some are extreamly sweet. I would love to own a bird that i could just pet and hold. But as i am going to college in a few years, i wouldnt want to just have to leave the animal and not be with if for a long time. In my veiw, that would not be fair to the bird. If i had got one a few years erleier perhaps.. but not now.

With finches, they dont need attention and frankly would de delighted if i could feed, clean, and take care of them without ever getting too close. Not to mention their lack of brains. They have complex relationsips with each member of the flock, and its constantly changing. But theyr as dumb as the preverbial door knob. Which is fine with me. I dont know if a could handle a bird that could possibly be smarter than i.

smile_m_32.gif

I don't think the rim is pliable BUT...it is an aviary net specifically made for catching birds. So I'm sure it would not be constructed as it is if it could hurt a bird. I've never had any problem catching one in the net and never has it hurt one.

Quite frankly I'd recommend everyone getting one as they are great for catching any kind of bug or critter you'd like to remove from your home.
smile.gif
Ya never know!

Spec do not ever assume on this forum. Gets you into nothing but trouble.
smile_n_32.gif

I lost my favorite cockatiel that way. I hand raised him from a chick and he would fly around the house when I was cleaning. One day one of the kids (came home early) opened the front door and bam, the bird flew out. He was a strongheaded bird and flew off. It was winter so I know he did not last long enough to find his way back.

Back