What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh crap!

All this talk of sparring reminds me of a story:

As my Kung Fu instructor is a also a doctor in Traditional Chinese Medicine, I see a lot of strange stuff. Once, a young man in his late teens hobbled into our school with the help of his parents wearing a regular top but down below, he was wearing his 'Gi' pants. This went on for a couple of weeks but each time he wore a different top but always the same pair of pants. Curiousity got the best of me and I asked what was wrong with the patient. Turns out that the young man was a participant in a local Taekwondo tournament and took a kick square in the 'sacks' and his testes swelled to the size of an orange. After repeated treatments, they returned to normal.

As for myself:

#1:Back in grade 7, I once planted my left knee through the safety glass (they type with wires) of a door. My friend was chasing me and the carpet below slipped away. That didn't hurt.. what hurt was while I was getting stitches at the hospital. The doctor noticed a second cut after the fixed the major cut and decided not to use anesthetics while stitching the second cut.

#2: While moving a folded Ping-Pong table, one side fell over wedging my hand four fingers in the small space between the table and the side bar. Exposed tendons...

#3: Last November, 2 days before leaving for the Bahamas for my wedding, I slipped on some ice on the front porch and badly twisted my left ankle. Got acupuncture done that evening but became very sick when I got home. I was taking special meds to speed up the recovery but the side-effect was quickened circulation which resulted in higher than average body temperature. I had a very bad fever and slept the entire day. On the morning of our departure, we almost didn't go because I was so sick but I shrugged it off and we decided to chance it. Luckily, I made it past security as I had all the symptoms of SARS from the drugs. I was able to walk normally 3 days after the injury but didn't couldn't train for an entire month.

Charles

I've never been hurt really bad, but I bet I have more close calls than anybody here. I'll choose just one for now. I'll tell about the time I was shot in the chest with a 9mm.

Back in 2000 me and my brother in law decided to kill some time by target shooting. We were shooting cinder blocks. After a few minutes the blocks were getting boring, so we looked for something harder to shot. He found a solid cinder block that had a small inch and half round rust stain on it. He set it up to shot and told me that he bet that I couldn't hit the rust stain. I am always willing to accept a challenge. So I took aim. I pulled the trigger and what happened next seemed to happen in very slow motion. I saw it was a dead on hit. I hit it dead in the middle of the rust spot from about 50 ft away. After the bullet hit the block, I saw something coming towards me from the block. I felt something slam into my chest. It hit my bottom two ribs about 3 inches from the center of my sternum. It happen in a fraction of a second, but like I said it seemed to happen in slow motion. I turned to my brother n law and said "Hey a piece of the block hit me." I reached down to pick up the piece of block but I picked up the bullet instead. Then I realized what had happened. Since the blocks we had been shooting had been hollow there was no chance of the bullets ricocheting. I have shot the solid blocks before and they shattered just like the hollow blocks. So I couldn't figure out why this bullet bounced of this block. Then the answer occurred to me. Before I had always used just regular cheap bullets. That day I was shooting hollow points. Since hallow points flatten out when they make impact, it couldn't penetrate all the way through the solid block.
I had a big bruise on my chest but other wise I was fine. I had always known I was bulletproof, but now I have the evidence to prove it.

lol, at the next shoot out, i'll duck under you ozzy

Back