What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many other ppl have there own personal zoo?

ive always had animals around. be they regular pets or things ive caught. right now i have:
2 spotted pythons (Loki and Sesha)
1 ball python (Lil' Ball)
1 carpet python (The Carpet)
2 sugar gliders (Lil' Boy and Lil' Girl)
2 rats (Special Ed and Crazy Pete)

the newest member is a 2 and a half month old degu named Lou who will have a girlfriend just as soon as we find a female with in a reasonable driving distance

i also have 10 ducks(Lil' Mallard, The 4 White Monsters, The Runners, and The Rouens) and 3 geese (The African and The Other Two)

and to think a year ago i had twice as many pythons.

I have dwindled my zoo down now but I used to have :

3 dogs
4 cats
1 mallard duck
1 hedgehog
1 ball python
1 sugarglider
2 oscars
1 convict
1 leopard gecko
1 veiled chameleon
6 various tree frogs
3 scorpions
1 wood duck
2 rabbits
2 kids

Joe

one glider? most ppl keep them in pairs atleast. what is yours like? Lil' Boy is great but loves to do anything that makes noise, bang his swing around, play on a lil electric piano thing when he is out of his cage, friendly and is a papaya addict. Lil' Girl is EXTREAMLY neurotic. she cant stand being away from Lil' Boy, doesnt care for ppl and we are pretty sure she has killed her joeys the two times we think shes been pregnant.

heres a pic Lil' Boy is hanging Lil' Girl is on the perch gliders

I had a little boy named Terd. He was very active and affectionate. I would chill on mine or my wifes shoulder for hours or jump back and forth from our arms. You can keep one but they need lots of attention and toys. Kinda like the bigger birds.(Maccaws, etc....) Unfortunately he died from eating one of my plants. He broke of a peice and stashed it in his mouth till later. Mine loved tuna, mango, pineapple, and grapes were his crack addiction. He ate a grape with the care that people eat an Oreo. He would gently pop the skin and hollow out the center first. Then eat the skin later more for fun I think.

Joe

Speaking of which; If your in the Omaha area you gotta go to the Kingdom of the Nights at the Zoo. They have a colony of 30 Sugargliders. Its really cool to see how they act in such large groups.

joe

thats to bad. Lil' Boy will do flips till you give him a piece of papaya. he trys barking for it but we refuse to give him any if he does that. being that their cage is in our bedroom thats one thing we dont want to encourage.

Rattler

You should post some pics of the sugar gliders. About 3 years ago I almost bought a pair of them. I think they are really cool, but expensive. I started to think it might not be a good idea with 4 cats running around the house.

I do not have much of a zoo.

4 cats
5 discus

I used to breed leopard geckos a few years ago, before getting back into fish. I miss my lizards.

Same thing here! The cage was in the bedroom. At night sometimes I would get up to take that darn wheel out of his cage. SQUEEK,SQUEEK, SQUEEK........QUIET!. He was a really cool pet but with an infant now, we wouldn't have the time to spend with another one. If you haven't tried giving him a grape, you should. A friend told me his was the same way with grapes.

Joe

yeah at $100 a piece and keeping them in pairs being best they are a lil on the pricy side. but the pythons ive kept usually werent much cheaper. the lil degu i got today was only $25 and seems just as friendly and social. i would have gotten another but they only had 3 brothers so im on the search for a female or two. mine dont care much for grapes. they'll eat them but not especially crazy for them. they did enjoy a lil apricot i gave them. not sure what they liked most about it: the taste or playing with the pit all night. these pics are a year old. dont have any newer ones scanned.
pic of Lil' Boy
Lil Girl i think

I've got 4  kids and a cat. Does that constitute having a zoo?  
smile_m_32.gif

i have had fish, gerbils, green anoles and a mustyrious red-heded female anole of unknown origin.

I had to get rid of my lizards when we moved here and now i have many zebra finches. I must say that they are the most enjoyable pets i have ever had.

rattler_mt,
Those are great pictures. Makes me want to get them again.
How big of an enclosure do you keep them in?
Do you let them out a lot to run around?

they are in a bird cage 2ft by 2ft by 2.5 ft high. whenever i find a larger one at a decent price or if we get another female, which ever comes first, they will go into something bigger. Lil boy gets to come out and run around quite often. he is not as "pocket tame" as some but doesnt mind being held to much. he will spend 20 minutes or more jumping back and forth between me and the headboard of our bed 4 ft away. Lil Girl is antisocial with ppl and we rarely let her out.

Rattler

I had mine in a small aviary 6'tall x 4' x 4'.

Joe

im looking for one around that size. not to common up here though. sometimes living in the middle of nowhere sucks.

Rattler

i agree. cant find anything unusual in the parie states unless you live near big population centers

I have a lil bit of a zoo i guess;

1 soon 3 Brazilian rainbow boas
1 soon 4 Amazon tree boas
9 boa constrictor juveniles soon less
smile.gif

1 boa constrictor subadult female
3 ball pythons
2 Rhacodactylus ciliatus crested gecko
2 Bearded dragons
6 leopard geckos
11 corn snakes different morphs
2 madagascar ground geckos
14 morelia spilota carpet python juveniles
2 bluetongues female pregnant

thats about it right now I think... A bunch of snakes and lizards arriving soon tho
smile.gif

Those are just mine, the wife has about 120 assorted reptiles as well lol...
/Quensel

man......do you have the largest collection in Sweden?
smile_n_32.gif

Nope, very far from it, I'm afraid...
Oh, and list was missing one daughter, homo sapiens sapiens, 6 mo.
smile.gif

Back