What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh my god...........

JustLikeAPill
I have to say that more kids here are less considerate and vulgar in public, at home, and in school during class infront of teachers (even towards them).  Of course, this is particularly prominent in the area I live in, which is an English suburb.  Every other word is that versatile F one.  I've found American kids to be more careful with their expression in public.  Racism is also of concern to me here since it's expressed more openly (seriously, openly selling swastika pins to children!?).  I thought the KKK and Nazi Skinheads were bad, but when it comes to 13 year-olds, it's frightening.  There's lots of decent people too though, and those are the ones I prefer to interact with.  Like I said before Dino, try to stand firm, but not so far as to get you into serious trouble.

Amori

Dino, I would almost place money on the idea that if everyone here went to a mental doctor (psy...) the largest portion could/would be diagnosed with something or other.

WOW! the UK sounds like a horrible place.

i hate racism more that homophobia and sexism combined, and i really hate homophobia.

if it helps, dino, i'm clinically depressed and take prozac. EVERYONE has problems. my brain absorbes seratonin faster than i can produce it so i'm sad all the time. but now i'm happy like all the time because of prozac. drugs can really work wonders.

JustLikeAPill:
What I said makes England sound like a horrible place, yes. I admit I was harsh when I described england. I'm like you, I'm against discrimination of all sorts.
I have to agree with superimposedhope about the head doctor visit - everyone is bound to have a fault or two.
Everyone is different, and I embrace that, as long as it does no harm. In your case Dino, you're not hurting anyone, and though you may not feel satisfied with yourself, I think everyone here appreciates your existence as much as the next guy.

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]assburger syndrom (sp?)

Thats aspergers syndrome. In ability to comminicate socially.

inability to tell tones of voice, understand facial expressions or eye contact.

How ironic that you mentioned aspergers syndrome...

why is that ironic?

because... i ... erm...I have it.

And if u hadnt mentioned it, you can bet darn shure i wouldnt of come out and said that!

My case is very mild, and i am quite liked and popular in my highschool (altough this years not as good as last year in terms of siciability) Infact, i get A's and B's in all my classes, wich, i am told, is unusual for someone with my syndrom. They say i may even be able to functon in college.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know of only on -ic that really prevents friendhsip and destroyes them, and that is alcohol-ic.

well theres a syndrom like that, and i have it. Altough everyones nice, i have no freinds per-say. I had some freinds, many years ago, but not now.

And since were on the subject of my problems, might i add that i have a growth hormone defficancy. I am very short (hence my relucance to reply to the height post)

I am getting the hormones artificially trough shots every night. It has to be on fat tissue. But since i am about 2% body fat, the shot is usually administerd on my rear.

AND my Vision quaility is halving almost yearly now.

I dont care if you beleive me or not, but its true all the same.

oh my god i cant beleive i actually said it
confused.gif

I always assumed we American kids were the worst as far as manners and all are concerned?

I could fit for difficulty catching and throwing-and I can absorb desired info(i.e Cps, aquariums, and anything interesting) like a sponge and remember if long after seeing it only once...but can ride a bike just fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thats aspergers syndrome. In ability to comminicate socially.

inability to tell tones of voice, understand facial expressions or eye contact.

How ironic that you mentioned aspergers syndrome...

Also funny you should mention that because my psychiatrist, who I see for treatment of my rather extreme ADD, said that I might have that and that I should do a little research on it to see if the symptoms match up with mine.

However, I'm left to wonder if I have that if it causes what you mentioned, as I don't have any of those. He mentioned it after I explained to him my horrible inability to sleep well (or at all), rare but horribly discomforting sleep paralyzation, and my occasional nasty anxiety attacks.

Anyways, regarding the behavior of kids, most kids are mean, vulgar little crapfaces because their either their parents are as well, or their parents are too lenient with the "my child can do no wrong" attitude. I went though a LOT of poop as a youth with being teased, harrassed, and generally made to be miserable, and through that experience I've discovered two possible solutions.

1. Kick the nice guys in the balls really hard. Sure, you might get detention and punishment from your parents, but once a person knows that you're willing to go that far, they're less likely to bother you as much. Worked for me.

2. Get a change of environment. If you're dealing with tons of poop in school, or even in your city, then transfer to a different school or move somewhere else if possible. Granted, much easier said than done, but sometimes its the only way.

Dino, my sympathies. I had my share of difficulties growing up, too. I was the smallest boy in my grade...and the grade below that...and the grade below THAT. You tend to be a good target for bullies when you're a foot under the average height. I was REALLY skinny too. Blew away in a high wind, once
biggrin.gif

I was also almost held back, and thought of as not-so-smart because I terrible vision, and no one caught it. Nice.

As for the lack of coordination, that can be compensated for. I have a student in my karate school who doesn't have right brain-left brain communication (or at least very limmited communication). This made him jerky and awkward with terrible balance. The difference from when he walked in the school for the first time and now (5 years later) is rediculous. He'll never be gracefull, but when he go mugged last year he went through the guy quicker than exlax.

i've never had a problem making friends, but i always try to be nice to the people who do. alot of them hate me because they think when i'm being nice to them i'm really making fun of them. it's like they are paranoid.

A few choice words always work for me

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Sep. 12 2004,10:04)]oh my god i cant beleive i actually said it
confused.gif
I can believe it!
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry to hear that Dino. Kids are so mean at that age. If it makes you feel better I got hit with a hockey puck(?) in school. Hurt like heavens and it was right between the eyes.

Also when I was a lad I could not say the letter r. I was called "four man" for awhile at school *during sixth grade*. I hated it and I really practiced my R's after that. Did not take long because the kids were teasing me. After awhile ppl stopped calling that but there was this one kid that bugged me and unfortunately I gave him the DDT from wrestling. He stopped bugging me and calling me "four man".

Be strong and does sound like there may be a cure for this problem. Plus you have many friends here...
smile.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Dino BUT...once you have a diagnosis, then you can do something about it whether its something you work out personally, medically or through therapy.  Knowledge is the key.  
smile.gif

And...we share something in common.  I call it "wobbly world"--poor balance.  I have vestibular neuritis in my right ear.  I have almost no balance function at all.  This gives me spells of vertigo (spinning), dizziness, foggy brain and poor balance.  The diagnosis is new for me as well...only a few months ago.  I had dizzy spells for years but they started getting worse and my balance was getting bad too so I finally went for tests.  I was glad to find out I wasn't crazy.  lol

I feel better knowing what the problem is.  It can't be fixed, so I just have to learn to live with it.  And I don't like it.  I'm always saying OOPS all the time.  Sometimes you look like an idiot.  You just have to laugh when you do something stupid.  I laugh at myself all the time.  
smile.gif
 I want to have a T-shirt made that says "OOOPS!" on the front.  
biggrin.gif

I know its upsetting to get a "diagnosis" but now you are ahead of the game.  Do some research, write down questions to ask the dr. and then do whatever you need to do to learn to live it.  Trust me, it could be MUCH worse.  You will learn how to deal with it.

Almost everybody has some challenge to live with.  It may or may not be noticeable.  But as you've seen so far...you are not the only one challenged with a physical/mental issue.  So wipe away the tears, square your shoulders, hold you head up and say..."This is ME!  And I'm a fine person and this will not control my life!"

Hey Suzanne,
Don't know anything about cures or whatever....But from the martial arts I know you can compensate by strengenthing you other two balance functions (joint fluid and eyesight). Ear fluid is only one of three methods the body uses to establish balance. I don't think you'll ever be doing cart wheels on a balance beam, but you could conceivably reduce your stumbles...

I know there is vestibular therapy. I guess what you mentioned is what they work on developing. I don't consider myself bad enough to need it. Luckily, most of my "wobbles" aren't noticeable to others. I FEEL it more than someone else can see it...I correct it before it shows. But sometimes there are the biggies where I have to grab something. lol It varies as to how bad it is...sometimes only a wobble or two in a day...sometimes its a lot, particularly if I'm coming off a vertigo episode.

If it ever gets any worse, I might consider the vestibular therapy. Thanks for the tip.
smile.gif

I have an appointment with the Doctor tommrow.
I iwll find out tommrow. No school for me toomrow either.
Dino

P.S
You shoudl really take that therapy Suzzanne...........because later it might be too late to take the therapy.

Why do you care so much what others think, Starman? I don't give a rip what anyone, anywhere thinks. Just ask anyone who knows me. They all know no one and nothing influences what I do or how I live my life, and I don't care what anyone thinks. My third cousin Margie's friend Kim said that I am definitely one of the most independant people my age she has ever met. Everyone that knows me also knows I'm a tomboy, a true redneck girl, and they also know I'm extremely proud of it, whether they accept it or not. My grandmother thinks I, in her exact, recent words, "want to be one of those queers" just because I refuse to wear dresses. Go ahead, see if I care. Call me "queer". See what it gets you.

But my point is that you really shouldn't care what your school thinks! If they refuse to accept you just because of a very MINOR disability, they're acting like immature little kids.

I have my own little imperfections. My right ankle, it gets a sharp pain in it every time I run for some reason. I think it's a nerve. My hands are double-jointed, my left hand especially (trust me, I can lay my left hand flat, palm-down, on the table and grab my pinkie and pull it back until it's at a 90 degree angle and it doesn't hurt.. I can do this with my right hand too, just not quite as far.. my fingers in general bend back at all joints farther than normal when I make a flat hand in the air without doing anything). I'm a little short for my age. I have had braces for a couple years. SO WHAT! I don't care what anyone thinks about this stuff or anything else, and trust me, there's more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] on the table and grab my pinkie and pull it back until it's at a 90 degree angle and it doesn't hurt..
you mean that's not normal? 90 degrees from what? the table? I can do that...

most women/girls dont wear dresses

and your grandma sounds like a real homophobe honestly

What I meant was that I'm not the high-maintenance Barbie-doll cutesy girl type that prances around in high heels and a miniskirt worrying about her make-up all the time. My grandmother just can't seem to grasp and accept that concept. My grandfather is the real homophobe, actually.. I have no problem with gays, but call me gay just because of who I am, I get angry. She also chews out my mom for being just like me and for not wearing make-up. I never plan to wear make-up, so I guess my grandmother's just gonna have to DEAL. My mom accepts me and is GLAD I am how I am. She told me that when she had me the last thing she wanted me to become was some kind of Barbie-girl.

At least my grandfather only thinks I'm "weird".

Ever hear Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman"? That song reads me like a BOOK. Gretchen is my hero. She's just like me, and she's proud of who she is. I am Gretchen Wilson's #1 fan.

I thought you liked Kenny Chesney?

Back