What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well alphawolfh you are absolutly correct on the evolution part... anyway what i ment to have someone say is that hummingbirds are very advnced birds atonomicly. some would say the most advanced

did you mean the most specialized?
I'd say that those I forget the name birds that live for years and years without ever touching land would be pretty specialized... and perigrine falcons that can swoop down REALLY REALLY fast and catch birds in mid-air...
and hoatzins with their ability to eat tough and poisonous plants/fruits and w/ their claws as youngsters to be able to actually climb with 4 limbs...
let's not forget parrots and woodpeckers!
PS. it's "alphawolf" :p

Understand this: i love primitive animals, way more that specilized ones. I dont know why but the facinate me.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]did you mean the most specialized?
ya thats it. They have like 360-something species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd say that those I forget the name birds that live for years and years without ever touching land would be pretty specialized...
I agree there very specilized and advanced, and also of very ancient liniage. The raptors are considerd to decend from this group. Parrots are also a old group and going strong! I love old groups. Its so cool to se how they adapt to changeing curcumstances.

Don't take this wrong, but I feel that this is simply about trying to justify killing squirrels for fun in that one is higher on the food chain.

Apparently, since we humans know more and are "more aware"(this statement could be attacked in many ways, but I ain't gonna open another can o worms) then we should know not to waste time killing things when you could devise much more effective ways of protecting your plants.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

the thing is that the "smarter" an animal is, the more evil, wasteful, foolish, etc. it can be....

I completely agree with you TheAlphaWolf.

this may come in a bit late, but finch, you are wrong here...the grey squirrel is in just about every hunting season in nearly all the states it inhabits. I do understand though. I lost several plants to these little vermin. I own a bit of land, and lets say (legally of course you can hunt on your own property year round) that I had no problems with the population this year because their numbers were reduced by nearly 40 in three months....

Forget the squirrels! It's the humans that are the real threat. I came home from work last night to find that one of my N. ventrata cuttings was just plain stolen. Talk about feeling violated...
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](legally of course you can hunt on your own property year round)

no you cant! only during hunting season, and regardles of where!

Oh yes here is something fun. If squirrels and chipmunks are raiding your bird feeders, and one of them is on a pole taht sticks out of the tree, rub canola oil halfway down the pole, all the way to the feeder itself. This is the funny part

Wait a few minutes, and a curious little squirrel will make his way down. Halfway down, he will start to slip. He slips and slides all over the pole, desperatley trying to hold on. Eventually he will fall off and run away. It is so hilarious. I recomend trying it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Oct. 06 2004,12:46)]A better solution would be to protect your plants.
You wanna enlighten me upon how the hell I'm supposed to do that?

You may be able to construct a "cage" of sorts out of screening or a stronger material if needed. It will take some smarts to keep the squirrels out of it(dunno if they will attempt to gnaw or dig to get to the plants or not). If you want a clear view at all times, perhaps a pane of plexiglass would be in order.

For larger collections, unsure of what you would do. Its not really that you should not kill all the squirrels(ethics aside), its just that the above method, providing you can work it out, will be far less expensive in the long run.

yes.. the humans are the real pests. my mom wanted to open my room's window and so everything fell! then she didn't know where anything was supposed to go so when I came back there was this big stain on the carpet, the pots outside of their trays, my bromiliad didn't have a flower spike anymore (just when it was starting to flower!!!!), etc etc.... the good thing is that nothing died. (just the flower spike)

and humans are the stupid ones that think wetlands = wastelands (there's no such thing as a wasteland) and go there to build houses and destroy everything.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 10 2004,1:42)]yes.. the humans are the real pests. my mom wanted to open my room's window and so everything fell! then she didn't know where anything was supposed to go so when I came back there was this big stain on the carpet, the pots outside of their trays, my bromiliad didn't have a flower spike anymore (just when it was starting to flower!!!!), etc etc.... the good thing is that nothing died. (just the flower spike)

and humans are the stupid ones that think wetlands = wastelands (there's no such thing as a wasteland) and go there to build houses and destroy everything.
FTG,

When you think about it, squirrels ARE smart and might shy away if you shoot a few rounds in the air...

Nflytrap,

Well the thing is, a lot of people cant afford strong durable screening, and besides that doesnt work, I tried it, they just chew through or dig... Squirrels look all fat and puffy on the outside cause of their fur, but they can squeeze through a 3/4" opening with no problem
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That stinks Wolf, hope the plants make a fast recovery.

I'm not stupid, cause i know that wetlands= worth their wieght in gold
smile_m_32.gif

Regards,

-Spec

well, apparently a lot of people can't afford anything ... and yet they can afford a gun and keep buying ammunition and all that...
you just have to buy a good fence once.
OH and they're doing fine
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 09 2004,5:12)]well, apparently a lot of people can't afford anything ... and yet they can afford a gun and keep buying ammunition and all that...
you just have to buy a good fence once.
OH and they're doing fine
smile.gif
Fence??? Too keep out squirrels?

I think a few rounds in the air might work temporarily, unless you want to imitate a stone fountain or something. Eventually either they would get use to constant loud noise or your neighbors would get pissed.

lol! you know what I meant! cage, fence, whatever :p

.....i'm so pissed off I'm not even gonna say anything

and speaking of pissed off, that kind of I'm superior to every animal in this world and I have the right to kill them, squirrels are the same as mites, etc, atitude is the same attitude that breeds horrible things like rattlesnake roundups, animal abuse, projects to exterminate coyotes and wolves, and this:
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....y138363
and animal experimentation,animal neglect, canned hunts, poaching, and the list can go on and on and on and on.
I think I'm gonna be sick.... I shouldn't be thinking about all this right before going to bed.
and the bad thing is that most people don't realize how many stupid people doing stupid things there are in the world...
people killing mice by putting them in a bucket of water and watch them swim until they're exausted and drown, people dumping gasoline on mice and lighting them on fire and laughing while saying that it looks like a little burning car...
(my aunt used to do the former and my stepmom told me she once saw these guys doing the latter... but I've seen bad things myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back