What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War on squirrels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 12 2004,3:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 11 2004,7:44)]I can't say I agree with all the things they say in that article... but I'll say this:
I HATE canned hunts! every single person who has ever supported a canned hunt should die a horrible horrible death (and that's not a threat :p... nor was it aimed at anyone here... should post a disclaimer every time I say something?)
Yeah thats just unfair. And it takes the sport out of it. It`s like going fishing and buying a fish to put on your hook.
SOmetimes fish such as shiners are used to cath very large bass. This is thier natural prey.

Well I meant takeing say a 4# trout putting it on your hook and tossing it out and reeling it in. I know I`ve used shiners as bait before,it is rather cruel when you think of it to use a live fish and hook it behind it`s caudal peduncal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 10 2004,10:39)]first, we wasn't calling us all "idiots and mongrels", second, he's totally right except for the being in a car crash part, third, if the squirrel trashes a plant, then move the plant!! plants grow back, squirrels dont. and for people who hunt, then say they don't kill for fun, that's hypocrasy at it's worst. don't tell me you don't get a smile on your face when you kill a dear, it's not a business you know.

and whoever thinks it's fun to kill squirrels or shoot them with paintball guns is sadistic. would you like it if i killed your dog or cat for fun? hey, it's a pest right?
I interpret that as they do not like to torture the animals and make them suffer...as in they prefer the animals would have the quickest death possible.

Also, squirrels do grow back...as in migrate and reproduce...which is why attempting to shoot them all would be a time consuming chore. At the very least you will still get that occasional squirrel who may not be harming your plants...but is killed anyway. Or you leave it, it finds a mate, and soon you have a bunch of squirrels and perhaps they come along to play with your plants one day.

I still say trying to protect the plants is a more permanent solution. Another possibility would be to use something they can't climb and have them up on a high platform well away from anything they can jump from and too high for them to jump too. Certainly not very convenient though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
sure, blame everything on instincts.
many times animals attack humans because they've been starving or are sick or it was a mistake or they've got plastic or something in their intestines.

Eh? What do you mean? Are you trying to say a deer would attack me because it's hungry? mmmhmm.... Now when a pack of wolfs attack me out of hunger... Why is that? Hmmm let me think.... AH! because they are hunters that's why natural hunters...
Oh yeah random fact... all mammals can feel pain, fear, dream and pretty much everything we do except think as we do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 12 2004,1:44)]"Oh no, they just ate some ants that went into the trap... this is murder!"- spec. this isn't murder, it's nature. deal with it.
<span style='color:blue'>quite a contradiction there clint! When I kill animals and eat it, its nature. Deal with it. Don't even think of saying that guns arent natural and thats why its bad. guns come from the earth, its natural. laser beams arent though...
smile_m_32.gif
</span>
"Vegetarian diets are very expensive. Again, we dont have 10 dollars for each meal we eat." - spec. auctually, it's only about 20 bucks a week, not 30 bucks a day.
<span style='color:blue'>Thats not what the bills came up to when my sister went on a vegetarian diet!</span>
"Actually if you hunt correctly they die instantly. They dont hurt at all, not even 1/10th of a second. If you were shot in the head, would you be alive for 5 minutes in agony on the floor before you died? no indeed. Hunting isnt murder. These are ANIMALS we are talking about here... They arent HUMANS. They dont have the same level of AWARENESS as we do." -spec.

humans are animals, just the most advanced animals on the planet, and don't tell me they don't have the same awareness as we do, because they can feel pain. if anything, they are more aware (alert) than you are. and unless your a master hunter with perfect aim and knoweldge of squirrel anatomy, don't preach to me.
<span style='color:blue'>I am. Squirrels dont feel anything when theyre shot... in fact a shot in the torso would kill them instantly too. I know this from experiance, unfortunately... Head shots are best though.</span>

"But you still in the end have blood on your hands. Is there a difference between a person who contributes to the murder of one person and another who contributes to the murder of ten? No there isn't they are both still murderers. Also meat is delicious. I don't care how wrong it is I am not giving up my delicious ham sandwhiches. "- all.

ask any judge if theres a difference between a murderer that has killed 1 and a murderer that has killed many, under the same circumstances. i believe there is a difference. oh, and meat is delicious
smile.gif
but some people say drugs are great too, that doesn't make it right.

<span style='color:blue'>Yes, there is a difference... But squirrels arent humans. Don't preach to me about us being animals and all that evolution stuff, nothing will change my opinion</span>

travis, there are just some things you have to agree to disagree with
smile.gif

spec, if you have any more questions that i have not answered, please make them in a nice list so i can answer them. this is getting confusing
smile.gif
and don't think i'm avoiding you because i'm not.
read quote

Why aren`t laser beams natural??? Yah I pretty much agree there Ice what do you mean by they can`t think like us though? You mean they can`t think the same way right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 12 2004,6:29)]noah, i have must respect for you and your religion, but please stop talking about it in this thread. your god doesn't have anything to do with this, because it's a non-religious conversation.
Then stop talking your evolutionist "propaganda"!

And yes God has a lot to do with this. He made the planet and everything in it for US... But then again all is His... And we are required to take care of it. Hey, you wouldn't like it if you gave your house to someone for a few days and they trashed it, would you?

God told Adam and Eve to spread out, increase in population, and to take all in the world as their own. God made animals for us to admire and also to live off of. Including plants.

There is no difference between killing an animal and killing a plant. Plants feel too, they are well aware when a kid pulls a leaf off of them. They know whats missing, But they don't feel pain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 12 2004,8:11)]Why aren`t laser beams natural??? Yah I pretty much agree there Ice what do you mean by they can`t think like us though? You mean they can`t think the same way right?
'Cause it's unfair hunting... You literally cant miss.... It doesn't give the animal a chance to escape. However its nice 'cause its hard to miss and hit a leg or something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rediculous accusations. Now did i not say that this needed to be kept a debate and not an argument?! Hunters do not kill for fun dude. They kill to feed their families. Get your facts straight before you go badmouthing us. They smile when they kill a deer because they know that they've gotten enough food to feed their family for months. A father does not like seeing their children go to bed hungry. I totally respect hunters, and as one, i know that your accusatoins against us are rediculous at the very least. Again, get your facts straight.

Now, if a squirrel trashes a plant, I'm going to shoot it. Why? Because that squirrel will do it again and again, and won't stop. I cant afford a 3000 dollar greenhouse, or even a 40 dollar one. Many plants dont grow back, they just die. Squirrels eat bulbs which do not grow back from the vegetation. Flytraps dont grow back when theyre rizhome is eaten. Sarracenia and Drosera and Nepenthes don't grow back when they're ripped out of their pots, mangled, and left in the sun to fry.

Yea its just so wrong to kill flies and let your CPs starve and to set mousetraps instead of setting nepenthes veichii pitchers

Hey, guess what bud? No one in the state of california has a lawn of grass! And guess what? Anyone who puts my trust in their baby is just plain foolish! LOL! (sorry couldnt resist )

Well, you get what i mean about the rare plants...

Taxes are high enough clint. And EVERYONE has to pay taxes reguardless of how much money they have. To them a dollar is a meal.

Guess what? I have enough work to do.

Sorry clint but we just arent rich like you and can spend 500 dollars in one day on some humane animal equipment for some squirrel. (as you've said before)

Yea, im going to bug bobz or tony paroubek and ask them to give me another nepenthes hamata or a nepenthes jacliquenae(SP?) or a bart simpson VFT when a rodent eats it. It takes YEARS to propagate them.

Sorry, but having a gun is much more important than chicken wire for a squirrel. I use it for protection. Ok, I'll just go sell all my guns and buy squirrel repellent and chicken wire, so that thugs can come in and rob me and kill me because I don't have a gun to protect myself. Sort out your priorities dude!
Theres some from the nice long list of stuff you conviniently ignored... Please answer the questions and share your thoughts on my replys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 11 2004,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 12 2004,6:29)]noah, i have must respect for you and your religion, but please stop talking about it in this thread. your god doesn't have anything to do with this, because it's a non-religious conversation.
Then stop talking your evolutionist "propaganda"!

And yes God has a lot to do with this. He made the planet and everything in it for US... But then again all is His... And we are required to take care of it. Hey, you wouldn't like it if you gave your house to someone for a few days and they trashed it, would you?

God told Adam and Eve to spread out, increase in population, and to take all in the world as their own. God made animals for us to admire and also to live off of. Including plants.

There is no difference between killing an animal and killing a plant. Plants feel too, they are well aware when a kid pulls a leaf off of them. They know whats missing, But they don't feel pain.
Thank you for that Spec:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 11 2004,10:14)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Oct. 12 2004,8:11)]Why aren`t laser beams natural??? Yah I pretty much agree there Ice what do you mean by they can`t think like us though? You mean they can`t think the same way right?
'Cause it's unfair hunting... You literally cant miss.... It doesn't give the animal a chance to escape. However its nice 'cause its hard to miss and hit a leg or something.
Oh I was reading it differently. I thought you were saying guns in themselfs are natural but lasers aren`t :oops:

quite a contradiction there clint! When I kill animals and eat it, its nature. Deal with it. Don't even think of saying that guns arent natural and thats why its bad. guns come from the earth- spec. no it's not a contradiction. read the context. i'm not placing the insects there so it isn't my problem.

I am. Squirrels dont feel anything when theyre shot... in fact a shot in the torso would kill them instantly too. I know this from experiance, unfortunately... Head shots are best though.- spec. auctually, your not. i don't see you on any tv shows. i guess you wouldn't feel anything if i shot you?

Yes, there is a difference... But squirrels arent humans. Don't preach to me about us being animals and all that evolution stuff, nothing will change my opinion
- spec. ok then, whatever.

and i'm not talking about any evolutionist propaganda. i am trying to keep it civil.

there is no scientific evidence that plants feel pain. they can react to external stimuli however.

Rediculous accusations. Now did i not say that this needed to be kept a debate and not an argument?! Hunters do not kill for fun dude. They kill to feed their families. Get your facts straight before you go badmouthing us. They smile when they kill a deer because they know that they've gotten enough food to feed their family for months. A father does not like seeing their children go to bed hungry. I totally respect hunters, and as one, i know that your accusatoins against us are rediculous at the very least. Again, get your facts straight.- i already answered that.

Now, if a squirrel trashes a plant, I'm going to shoot it. Why? Because that squirrel will do it again and again, and won't stop. I cant afford a 3000 dollar greenhouse, or even a 40 dollar one. Many plants dont grow back, they just die. Squirrels eat bulbs which do not grow back from the vegetation. Flytraps dont grow back when theyre rizhome is eaten. Sarracenia and Drosera and Nepenthes don't grow back when they're ripped out of their pots, mangled, and left in the sun to fry. - i already answered that

Yea its just so wrong to kill flies and let your CPs starve and to set mousetraps instead of setting nepenthes veichii pitchers - no one said cp's must have insects, even i said i use artificial ferts.

Hey, guess what bud? No one in the state of california has a lawn of grass! And guess what? Anyone who puts my trust in their baby is just plain foolish! LOL! (sorry couldnt resist )- answered that, i said to to something else then.

Well, you get what i mean about the rare plants...

Taxes are high enough clint. And EVERYONE has to pay taxes reguardless of how much money they have. To them a dollar is a meal. -taxes are good. the well being of the whole community is what counts. and there is wellfare for people who have the "a dollar is a mean" qualifications.

Guess what? I have enough work to do.- not my problem.

Sorry clint but we just arent rich like you and can spend 500 dollars in one day on some humane animal equipment for some squirrel. (as you've said before) , yes, if you add up everything for my terrarum it is worth over 500 dollars, but that doesn't make me "rich" what makes a person "rich" can be interpreted differently.

Yea, im going to bug bobz or tony paroubek and ask them to give me another nepenthes hamata or a nepenthes jacliquenae(SP?) or a bart simpson VFT when a rodent eats it. It takes YEARS to propagate them.- if the price is right...

Sorry, but having a gun is much more important than chicken wire for a squirrel. I use it for protection. Ok, I'll just go sell all my guns and buy squirrel repellent and chicken wire, so that thugs can come in and rob me and kill me because I don't have a gun to protect myself. Sort out your priorities dude! - and i'm sure you are attacked by thugs everday.

Lock the post!! I'm afraid of where this is going. I know I participated and contributed, but I think enough is enough mates!
smile.gif

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eh? What do you mean? Are you trying to say a deer would attack me because it's hungry? mmmhmm.... Now when a pack of wolfs attack me out of hunger... Why is that? Hmmm let me think.... AH! because they are hunters that's why natural hunters...
Oh yeah random fact... all mammals can feel pain, fear, dream and pretty much everything we do except think as we do.
instinct is an innate behavior you are born with NOTsomething they need. and there hasn't been a single recorded death from wolves... well, EVER.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Then stop talking your evolutionist "propaganda"!
evolution isn't religion. it's science There's PLENTY of proof. if we're not allowed to talk about science, then what ARE we allowed to talk about? god isn't scientific. Religion isn't scientific (or based on scientific anything). and that's just the naked truth.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]nothing will change my opinion
that's exactly why you're not a scientist

Spectabilis73....can you please exclude religion from this discussion because, believe it or not, not everybody is christain and if they wanted to they could report your postings as offensive to them. I am very glad to hear that you are devoted to your religion but this is not a religious discussion.

I believe in micro evolution,there is suficient proof for that to be called scientific fact. However Macro evolution(I.E. a paramecium over time turning into a man) is still considered a hypothesis! There is much info that contradicts macro evolution. But micro evolution is well....self evident I mean just look at dogs,and chickens,finches,etc.... I think there could have been only 1 species of finch when the earth was made and then they segregated into different species. But I don`t believe a single celled organism could turn into a complex organism. So beleive what you want to but thats my stance.

So.... What kind of evolution do people here believe is true?

I believe what most people think of when they think of evolution.
that bacteria evolved over billions of years into everything we see today.

Well ya`ll know what I believe.

I beilive that animals stay the same for a while then BANG they change. Sometimes the do what you mentioned Wolf, not most of the time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back