What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cps in the paper

Hello

The local newspaper did an article about me and my carnivorous plants. I would like to encourage all of you to get in touch with your local paper as they were very interest in carnivorous plants.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

ive been interviewed twice on my exotic snakes before i started working for my local paper. no offers on CPs though.

Rattler

I also was interviewed in the "Vacationer" in my area. Centerfold, 2 full pages.

LITTLE ROOM OF HORRORS
by:Bill Radford
He displays some of his plants on the deckof his Colorado Springs home. He has some in his bedroom, growing in terrariums, a garden window, and a freezer he converted into an ultra-highland grow chamber.
But Jeremiah Harris' obseesion fully blooms in an 8-12 foot greenhouse he enters by climing through a bedroom window --- his own secret garden.
Harris, who turns 17 this month, has a passion for carnivorous plants. Its a fassinating world that encompasses far more than the common venus flytraps comonly for sale at local lawn and garden shops.
"I grow about 325 species" Harris says, "but they hybridize them so there is pretty much an unlimited number of hybrids they can get"
Harris is president of the Colorado CP Society, which he launched about a year and a haf ago. The club has about 15 members, but he is yet to hold a meeting "I'm just too busy" he says.
He also runs an online forum on his CCPS Site, which connects people from England, australia, and all over the world.
And he has one of the nations biggest personal collections of Nepenthes, his favorite genus of CP.
"They're really the biggest of all CP" Harris says
"Some of their vines canclimb up trees and scramble up trees for over 50 feet"
" And their pitchers have been known to catch small rodents and monkeys. I think thats just really fascinating"
If that evokes A ghastly image of Harris dangling a rat into the jaws of a ravenous plant, dont worry (trust me i know him). At most he feeds his plant fruit flies, or opens his greenhouse door to let the insects come in. There are some he never feeds.
"feeding them is more like taking your vitamens" he explanes,
"Its not nessasarry (sp?) but it will help them grow better, and faster. That's a miscontieption, that the plant will need to eat."
Carnivorous plants use various traps to capture prey, From trap doors, to sticky tentacles, to a waxy, slippery death trap.
They use enzymes to digest their prey
Unlike the man- eating plant in the musical "little shop of horrors", real Cps pose no threat to humans "People always ask that, the plants are just too small, to slow in general to pose a threat"
Harris, who is homeschooled along with his little brother, and sister, has been collecting CPs since the tender age of 4.
Plants, and plant books are a standard birthday, and christmas requests. He sells and trades "a ton of plats"
"He's consumed by a passion" says his father, greg, who helped his son build the greenhouse ajoining his bedroom a couple of years ago, complete with a mysting system, and automated heating, and cooling. He is working on his second greenhouse (his highland).
But he doesn't have his sights set on a career in horticulture, Instead he thought about becomeing a dentist, or maybe a chef. "I love to cook"
Harris figures he'll pursue cps as a hobby- an unusual hobby, he agknowledges.
"Not that many people are into it" He says
"But its something i've been able to suceed in and grow into"
Even before he could read, he gravitated toward the science books in the library, says his mom, Kay, so she would read him books such as "Cps of the world"
It was so technical, what i was reading, I was like "Are you sure you want me to read this?" "I think the lord just gave him a gift for that love of plants and nature, at an early age"

Back