What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, I'l start -

This is what I plan on bringing for display at the NECPS Show Sat Oct 9:

Grow Contest Plants, in 4 soil mixes

Venus Flytrap "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright"
Venus Flytrap Typical
Venus Flytrap "Royal Red"
Venus Flytrap "AKU Red Dragon"

Cephalotus follicularis
Cephalotus "Hummer's Giant"

Multiplanting #1: S. leuco Titan, 5 VFTs, lotsa sundews

MultiPlanting #2 Vft Red dragon, VFT dentate, VFT Typical, S. leuco, S. flava

Multiplanting #3 VFT, S. leuco, S. purp, gillions of baby D. rotundifolia

Nepenthes ampullaria
Nepenthes burbidgea x edwardsiana
Nepenthes khasiana x ventricosa
Nepenthes (clipeata x ventricosa) x (clipeata x ventricosa)
Nepenthes northiana x veitchi
Nepenthes (max x fusca) x (spath x spect)
Nepenthes rafflesiana
Nepenthes bicalcarata
Nepenthes veillardi
Nepenthes macrophylla
Nepenthes villosa (just a wee baby at this point)

Drosophyllum lusitanicum #1
Drosophyllum lusitanicum #2

Sarracenia leucophylla
Sarracenia leucophylla "Red Tube"
Sarracennia rubra
Sarracennia flava
Sarracenia "Dana's Delight"
Sarracenia "Judith Hindle"
Sarracenia purpurea
Sarracenia Unknown Hybrid ( looks like S. leuco x S. purp)
Saracenia oreophila

Drosera adelae
Drosera capensis
Drosera gigantea
Drosera macranthra
Drosera prolifera

Who's next?

PS: I really wish Jeremiah was in our group! His collection is a show alll by itself!

I never been to Jeremiah's - his pictures are always just stunning. I have traded with him in the past, that's where the above listed N rafflesiana came from.

I know Schloaty is bringing some nice things for display too.

Hey, here is my tentative list.

N. aristolochioides
N. argentii
N. ampularia
N. campanulata
N. fusca
N. fusca Sarawak
N. jacqueleneae
N. sanguenia
N. macfarlenei (id unsure)
N. truncata x ventricosa

H. ionasii

S. purpurea
S. minor
S. oreophylla

D. regia

Window box bog with VFT's, d. rotundifolia, d. intermedia (I think) and d. filliformis

Oh - and I think I'll also bring my pot of 2 year old (well, two year and two month old by show time) VFT's....One of which is already over 4" in diameter with 1" traps
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I've seen Bill's drosophyllum at one of the past meetings...That thing was big months ago! It must be rediculous by now!

I'm the plant signage co-coordinator for the show
and so far (and we've only just begun)
We have 91 plants that will be brought for show and that is only with 5 members reporting so far they are bringing plants (Last year about 15-20 members brought plants!!
Not only that in my count I've included multiplantings and terrariums as one item!!!

SO!!! There will literally be HUNDREDS of great looking plants available to see.

THERE WILL BE GREAT VENDORS SO YOU CAN MAKE A COUPLE OF ACQUISITIONS WHILE THERE.

You won't find a better way to spend a Saturday!!

Kirk Martin
NECPS Original

Dang, wish I could come.....I would bring my hamata as top 1 priority!

Geez, my list looks so lame!!! But anyhow, I can't wait to see all these great plants, and buy some to bolster my current meager collection! I just plan to bring my little S. purpurea and N. ampullaria. The more plants the better I guess...:D

Michael -

Bring all you can. It took me quite a while to build up to what I have now (much from seeds & trades). Believe it or not, there was a time I could not even keep a sundew alive! Also, be sure to select one as your "Member's Favorite" for that display table and give a short description why to Kirk or Dave. I'm thinkin' my rare Nep northiana x veitchi, from seed, or my Ceph which was a mere tiny 1 leaf when I got it from John P. at the very first NECPS meeting.

Nepenthes gracilis - We'd all love to see your hamata up close & in person. Too bad we aren't set up to display it virtually, wouldn't that be cool! About a week ago my baby hamata suddenly took a turn for the worse (aarrrggghhhh) and rapidly started turning black. As an extreme last ditch effort, I took off one of the leaves, sliced off the black part near the plant's stem and treated it like a ceph cutting (liquid rooting hormone, set in damp live chopped sphagnum...). Not sure it'll work, but worth a shot.

I can't wait to see what Jeff brings this year. Last year there was a huge puddle of drool on the floor from everone standing around gasping at his amazing Cephs. After that, I started referring to him as "The Cephmaster".

Plant Show List (Kirk Martin)
(Will probably be more...)

Sarracenia alata- Grow contest (2 pots)
Sarracenia flava- all green
Sarracenia flava-Coppertop
Sarracenia flava-Heavily veined
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa

Nepenthes. fusca Sarawak
N. faizaliana

Dionea. muscipula typical 2 pots

Drosera. prolifera
D. filiformis ssp. tracyi
D. aliciae
smile_l_32.gif

Fitchburg Massachusetts

Hello

I wish I could come as well maybe some day.

You guys have such a great turn out at your shows. How long have you guys been meeting?

-Jeremiah-

And as always if anyone ever finds themselves in Colorado stop by and say Hi

Hi Jeremiah -

Our first meeting was January 2003. What's really nice is that we actually meet once a month except for a few times in the summer. Even in the dead of winter here, our very enthusiastic ( = addicted??) members pack up their plants in coolers for insulation and still travel to the meetings.

If you are ever out this way, please let us know and bring lotsa photos/slides, etc!

WildBill

ARG! Well, you can cross the N truncata x ventricosa off the list. What was left of Hurricane Ivan sent it plumetting to the ground, and shattered its one big, beautiful picher into pieces.
smile_h_32.gif
mad.gif

This stuff ALWAYS happen right before the show, huh? I remember last year I accidentally broke off the ONE nice stunning pitcher my S. leuco Titan had just a week before the show.

I hope your Nep is still OK & will make a comeback.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hope your Nep is still OK & will make a comeback.

Thanks Bill. It will live. It's been through this before. It should be showable again in 4 months or so. I think I'm going to put velcro on the bottoms of all my plants.

I had a gorgeous S. leucophylla I was going to show.

I found it uprooted, the plant greenery knawed off and the rhizome was chewed up.

I replanted the rhizome hoping it would grow again and the bugger dug it up again (and ate more). But this time I had footprints when the critter walked on some cardboard on my deck. Those pawprints turned out to be a raccoon.

I told that story to Nathan and he laughed and said that Raccoons ate his plants on the third story fire escape of his apartment.

They're bold and they're voracious
Kirk

Just a bump and a plug for the NECPS society/show..

I will be sending a few things for their silent auction held during the show. Don't have a list yet but will be some nice things. If I do say so myself!

Tony

Tony, how about you send YOURSELF to the show! That would be better than any plant you could send....Well, ALMOST any plant, LOL.

I'll be bringing the following:

N. x Judith Finn
N. x Rokko x spectabilis
N. alata
N. macrophylla
N. ramspina
N. singalana

S. leucophylla
S. alata (grow contest) (2)

A. vesiculosa

G. violacea 'Giant' (2)
G. hispidula

H. heterodoxa x minor

U. sandersonii 'blue'
U. livida

D. spatulata 'Home Depot'

Oh yeah! I forgot to list the S. alata from the growing contest! I have two pots....Only one is coming, though, as the others didn't do so well...

Back