What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anwar- what is your opinion

• Thread starter Finch
  • Start date

Finch

Whats it to ya?
With the ANWAR debate likely to flair op some time in the future, i  think i would like to take the time to ask: whats your opinion? There is no right or wrong side, just different veiwpoints (something that I, at times, fail to understand)

The greenies and kerry say NO
"We will not drill in ANWAR"

The bush people say YES
"We are at the mercy of international oil prices" because "We've taken large chunks of the country and put it off-limits to any kind of exploration or development."

Im not trying to start a argument here, but wuld like to know where you stand.

So what do you thnk? yes or no?

hmmmm..thats a tough one..
Im an environmentalist, (who votes for Bush!)
and I would prefer that all drilling stopped everywhere!
I would love it if all oil-based power just went away completely..
would solve a ton of environmantal and political problems!
but...im also a realist.
I know drilling is necessary, its not going to go away in our lifetimes..
so, if the US must have oil, which it must, where is the best place for the US to get it?
seems like it would be FAR better to drill for our own..
for economic, environmental, and political reasons..
just better all around that relying on MidEast oil..
we will do a much better job of protecting the environment where we drill than the Arab nations do..
(it amazes me that Iraqi citizens blow up their own oil production networks..)

we are simply a much more environment-concious society than pretty much anywhere else in the world where oil is drilled..
if it HAS to be drilled, which it does, it will be much better for THE EARTH if its done in Alaska than in Iraq..or anywhere else.
I know the environmentalist dont like to hear that, but its just a fact.
so... if oil is a necessary evil, which it is, whats the least evil way to get it?
drill for it ourselves, on our own land..
cheaper, cleaner and safer..

Liberals should SUPPORT drilling in anwar!!
because if we can get our own oil, that will help keep us out of mideast politics!
"no war for oil" right?
well..if you want "no war for oil"..what do you suggest as an alternative? you cant question that the US, and the entire world, MUST have oil for society to even function, so once thats accepted, which it must be, you have to accept that the oil has to come from somewhere..
whats better for the global climate? both the political and environmantal climate? simple, let the USA get its own oil on its own land...

so, I guess you could say im against, and in favor, of ANWAR drilling!
smile_h_32.gif

im against it, because im against oil drilling itself..
but im for it, because I live in the real world, and if it has to come from somewhere, ANWAR is one of the best places the US can get it, its much better on many levels..
Scot

we do not need oil if people would put their efforts into alternative sources of energy which could be cheaper than oil. we should NOT drill anywhere that poses a threat to animals, especially up there. i am agianst bush 100% bush is just a redneck and a pathetic example of an american. he tried to make laws based on religion, he promised more jobs- everyone is getting laid off, he is just a screw up.

now that i've vented about how much i hate bush , i'm REALLY against drilling up there. it's aweful and will disrupt and kill many animals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 17 2004,4:59)]we do not need oil if people would put their efforts into alternative sources of energy which could be cheaper than oil. we should NOT drill anywhere that poses a threat to animals, especially up there. i am agianst bush 100% bush is just a redneck and a pathetic example of an american. he tried to make laws based on religion, he promised more jobs- everyone is getting laid off, he is just a screw up.

now that i've vented about how much i hate bush , i'm REALLY against drilling up there. it's aweful and will disrupt and kill many animals.
well yeah, getting rid of all oil and using alternative sources of enegry is a worthy goal, and one that the global society will eventually get around to making work..
but meanwhile, here in reality, we NEED oil!
I give oil another solid century as global society's fuel source..
we will switch away from oil when either:
a. other enegry sources can be made chaeaper..
or.
b. the oil runs out...whichever comes first.

so, we will get there eventually!
meanwhile, for the upcoming foreseable decades, we MUST have oil!! its just an unescapable fact..
so, where should it come from?
If you REALLY care about the environmant, you have to admit that drilling in ANWAR is better for the planet than drilling anywhere else...

What about all the animals in Middle East?
why is no one upset about them?
The mideast oil fields are an environmental nightmare,
Saddam dumped and burned millions and millions of gallons of his OWN COUNTRY's oil!
with absolutely no regard for the enviroment..
even today, as we (the US) try to put the Iraqi network back together, people are still destroying their own country's oil network..causing massive pollution, and the death of many thousands of native animals and plants..
For some reason, all these "environmantalists" who talk so much about "saving the Earth", lose sight of the GLOBAL impact of oil drilling.."No drilling in Alaska!  but..well, I still need gas for my car, so if they burn all the oil wells in Iraq, I wont complain about that.."

the oil has to come from SOMEWHERE!!
where do you want it to come from?
who will do a better job of protecting the environment?
the answer is amazingly obvious...
and it has nothing to do with Bush, or Kerry, or anyone..
think Globally..
the...world...MUST...have...oil...
the USA must have oil..
our very society and way of life depends on it..
none of us would have our jobs without oil,
none of us would our lifestyles without oil..
our entire day to day existance and everything we own and enjoy depends on oil..
WHERE do you want it to come from?
the middle east?, under the control of unstable tribes and constantly warring thug dictators.
or OURSELVES? the most responsible and environmentally concious society on the planet?

Scot

we cant drill for oil in ANWAR. the middle east may be in turmoil, and yes there are animals there, but it is a better place to drill for oil. we can also CONSERVE oil if people would take public transport more often (if that's possible) than driving.

like you for example, you can get a hybrid car, take the bus, get a ride, carpool, etc etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 17 2004,5:31)]we cant drill for oil in ANWAR. the middle east may be in turmoil, and yes there are animals there, but it is a better place to drill for oil.
What makes it better?
Why is it better?

because there aren't nearly as many animals there, unless you count sheep and terrorist.

and because drilling for oil would destroy the habitat of alaska. why destroy a clean habitat, when there is already a source in the middle east?

sure it's more economical to use our own oil, but what about the animals?

guess i'm just a bunny-hugging liberal
biggrin.gif

Hey what about this though- the prices between drilling from Alaska or buying from a foreign country is only a 10% difference... Why use our oil when we don't have to? the countries that prosper the most are the countries with the most resources to use. So what is the point if we save a few bucks here and there and drill oil in Alaska? IN the long run it will hurt us badly! If our country ran out of oil, the middle eastern countries will TAKE advantage of this moment and manipulate us like there is no tommorow.
Bush says the reason he does this is to get our dependency off foreign countries, but yet we are fighting for oil land in the Middle East during Bush's term... hmmm.... sounds like there is a dumb president somewhere.... seriously anyone can out preform Bush. He's a mad dog running without a collar! I don't know why people on this forum even likes bush, he DESTROYED alot of the natural resources that we need in one term that took a LONG time to create, and that probably includes alot of CP land too. Another for years with him is going to destroy the US! Go Kerry (Or anyone else that is smater then dumb old bush)

We already have viable alternatives. There's natural compressed gas, hydrogen, electric, and even experimental solar power cars. I mean, poop, there was man here in Las Vegas that actually invented a car that runs on a fuel made of up 90% water with no loss of performance and burned totally clean.

Its not an issue of environment that most politicians are concerned with, its which one would be best for business, pure and simple. Anything that isn't seen as commercially viable for big oil to take over is thrown to the trash.

Thesad truth is that drilling in ANWAR will not curb our dependance on forgen oil.

In 2002 a Department of Energy study showed that woithout new oil exploration in the artic refuge, the US will get 62% of its oil from forgen scorces. With new exploration, that number drops to 60%

thats just 2% difference in oil scorces.

Drilling oponents also point out that recent Alaskan projects, like British Petrolium's Badami feild near Prudhoe Bay, has yealded considerably less oil than origionaly predicted.
And while the artic may be cold, it is full of life. Middle eastern deserts are prety much barren wastelands.

Personally, I am a mega environmentalist, yet I support Bush. Don't get me wrong, the democratic vice president it probably the best of the four, but Bush is more into the greater good... ANWAR I feel is a pointless drilling. There are several oil fields here in Texas that are pumping and piping several hundred barrels a day! Why not use what we have and investigate into new resources? I am a crazy car enthusiast, but I feel hydrogen is right. We need it. I think performance people like Ferrari can keep gas, but make it more efficient. The 360 Modena (about to be the 420) could have a twin-turbo 6 instead of a naturally aspirated 8. Sure it breaks tradition, but the power could still be equal if not better, and fuel economy would increase by up to 50%. The least we can do is turbo-charge instead of up displacement. As much as I hate to say this, there is a replacement for displacement. I think we can avoid ANWAR, and avoid depending on foreign oil, and get on to replinishable hydrogen. I could go on all day... These are just some of my opinions...
John

But, bush touts developing alaska as a top priority for a second term!

dont forget that right now, you must burn oil to get the hydrogen.

and what are we gonna do with all of this extra water produced by hydrogen powered cars? yeah it's better than noxious fumes, but where will all the extra water go? it'll eventually pollute the oceans and decrease the salinity.

The total amount of land that will be affected by drilling in ANWAR is less than 1% of the of the reserves area.
We drilled in the North Slope area for years and nary a Caribou was injuired.

the extra water will enter the water cycle.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] it'll eventually pollute the oceans and decrease the salinity.
No the oceans will get saltyer due to incresed evaporation due to global warming
and carabu no longer breed on the north slope like they used to. Notimh was hurt directly but the areas carabu and bird population went \/ in a big way

GW wont happen that fast.

and the ocean will not get saltier because what goes up must come down (when the water evaprotates, it will rain), but the extra freshwater has no where to go but the ocea, thus polluting it with too much freshwater. even if we collect and import it to third world countried that need it, like in sahel regions, it would still end up the the ocean in the end.

Well its already recorded that the oceans are getting saltyer near the equator. The faster it evaporates, the saltyer it gets, and you understand that only 2% of all water is freshwater, most of that enclosd in the melting icecaps. when the icecaps melt, the polls will become less salty, but the incresed evaporation at the equator means it will become more salty. It will throw the ocean out of balance

sure some parts of the ocean are saltier, but fish have lived in those parts of the ocean and it's not too salty to them.

anyway, this is not about the ocean. lets stay on-topic

For me it's a slippery-slope issue. If they dril in ANWAR, they will decide that wildlife refuges are appropriate places to drill for oil. The precedent it sets will be use to justify drilling anywhere there's the prospect of oil.

The oil ANWAR would produce does not substantially change where we get our oil, does not substantially change how much oil we have, and is simply not necessary. The better bet would be to begin to slowly wean ourselves off of oil. Even nuclear power is a better, cleaner source of energy than burning oil.

And I do NOT trust Bush to look after the environment, especially when it comes to oil. He's an oil man, after all, and one who is pro-business and anti-environment. (I really can't understand how someone who considers him/herself an environmentalist could support Bush, who has rolled back protections at every turn. In no sense is Bush an environmentalist.)

Capslock

dont forget- he's a redneck (and i'm talking about the bad kind if FTG is reading this!)

Back