What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help save cp's

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
There is a Auto landfill that is proposing a site in Brunswick county NC. This is not the same landfill that is trying to build a site in the Greenswamp.

Here's the info: HELP US SAVE BRUNSWICK COUNTY

Auto fluff is the non-ferrous residual left from the shredding of vehicles and appliances. Fluff is one of the leading sources of mercury and contains many other hazardous materials such as arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, benzene, PAHs, ethylbenzene, PCBs, toluene, vinyl chloride, trichloroethylene, and xylenes. Three of these permeate state-of-the art HDPE landfill liners in 1 to 13 days.

Hugo Neu, an international metal shredding giant headquartered in New York, plans to transport fluff from its shredding operations to the Cape Fear Lowlands adjacent to the Cape Fear River in Brunswick County, North Carolina, and stockpile it in a landfill 350 feet high over a 170-acre footprint.

Brunswick County is home to beautiful white sand beaches, two aquifer outcroppings, and the Green Swamp, whose species diversity is topped only by the Great Rain Forest of Central America. Here in the Green Swamp Preserve, you will find longleaf pine savannas, wild orchids, and 14 varieties of insectivorous plants.

The preserve is home to many rare animals, including American alligator, fox squirrel, Henslow’s sparrow, Bachman’s sparrow, and Hessel's hairstreak butterfly. One of the rarest residents is the federally listed endangered red-cockaded woodpecker.

Brunswick County, North Carolina, is an area rich in natural resources and favored by many retirees as being the perfect blend of North and South. Help us protect our home by signing the petition to STOP the Hugo Neu landfill and then passing it along.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/155621293

Gean M. Seay
Swamp Watch Action Team
223 Benson Road NE
Leland, NC 28451
(910) 253-8690 (home)
(910) 538-4385 (mobile)

Please do your part and sign this petition. This is one of the best cp sites left in the world. Please take five minutes out of your time and sign it.
Thank you
Mark

I did my part!
cool.gif

Jerry

I signed it too, something small but if many others join it adds up

well we need 5000 signatures, so every one counts.
Thanks guys.

i signed it. but just for some extra info the american alligator isnt rare anymore. the skin farms saved it form extinction. they bred alligators for skins and meat. plus gave extra baby gators to fish and wildlife to release back into the wild. in fact numbers are so strong now that they allow limited hunting of wild gators.

Rattler

I may be wrong here, but I think thay what you said is true in Fl. They are still rare in NC.

I signed. GL to the ppl of Brunswick County and all who sign this petition.

were they ever really common in NC? seems a lil far north. im not knocking the thing because of it. just delt with alot of ppl whining and wailing about the poor endangered gators when they are actually doing quite well as a whole. individual populations might be taking a hit throughout their range but they are a long ways from going extinct now. the american crocodile on the other hand is a different story.....it aint doing so hot.

Rattler

Ozzy said he would give me his AK if i signed... hand it over stimpy!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Nah, i dont need an ak to get me to sign... I signed on me own!
smile_m_32.gif

Best of luck! hope you get all 5000 sigs
confused.gif

Funny you should mention "auto fluff". I work at an environmental laboratory, in the Metals Department. I prep for metals analysis and analyze for mercury. Every few months we receive 4-6 auto fluff samples that have to be prepped and analyzed for TCLP's. A TCLP is a fancy acronym (sigle) for determining what can go into a landfill.

I also have a D. intermedia Brunswick County plant that is currently flowering. Thanks, Jerry!

i did my part!

Oh i love singing things. Lets take a rusty nail and engrave our names on the school chalkboard. When we get severe nosebleeds be shure to collect the exess blood in a bowl so you can write disturbng blood messages on the neibor's garage door!

Of course i am kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldnt ever do that stuff its just wrong! And... its wrong and gross. I just felt like saying it thats all

oh and i singed it

Add 1 more to the list.

I went to the Green Swamp about 10 years ago. Never saw any Sarracenia. I did see some D. intermedia x D. capillaris crosses and species beside a road.

When I was leaving, I saw huge ditches cut and they had filled with water. I knew that was the end of the place then. At least for CP. Maybe it was just one area though.

On the Delorme maps, they even label "Lateral Canal", which I guess is a fancy name for drainage ditch.

tweek

Signed it *crosses fingers*

how come I can't even get to the site? it just gets stuck... let me try again when I'm home. I'll tell EVERYONE!!! we NEED to save it!

I'd like to add that it is not only important for you to sign but please pass it on to as many people as you can. This must spread FAR to get the 5,000 signatures needed.

Thanks to Ozzy for sharing that.
smile.gif

Someone should post it on gardenweb and I'll post it on my website. I signed it too.

Back