What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BACPS annual cp show and sale was toaday. There were several vendors and lots of displayed beauties! Also there were lots of forum members there. Off the top of my head, I remember Phil, Spec, Bugweed, PinguiculaMan, Emesis, Forbes, Ice Dragon, and I'm sure some that aren't coming to me right now. My head is spinning with all the offerings! I got some great stuff!

My haul as I remember it:

D. paradoxa (my first woolly!)
D. ascendens (Brizilian!!)
D. some pygmy I didn't recognize (free)
D. admirabilis
Pot of assorted drosera, including dielsiana (free)

P. rotundiflora

N. ramispina
N. spectabilis
N. lowii x veitchii
(Neps with 3inch pitchers)

It was very cool to see everyone, and it was a bonanza of plants! For example, here's a wee little nep our good friend Emesis stole from me in the auction
smile_m_32.gif
:
N_truncata_x_veitchii.sized.jpg

I want a cutting if you ever make one Arthur!!
smile_n_32.gif

Capslock

ahh! I never was able to see emesis (or did i? man today was chaotic)

From what i remember:

Spec
Capslock
Forbes
Ice Dragon
AznSushi
Emesis
PhilFaulisi
PinguiculaMan
BugWeed
Lots of folks!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
A few others i belive

ALSO!

Max gave me what is now my FAVORITE nep:
Nep Weigneri!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I also got:

D. spatulata x capensis
Drosera binata Multifida "extrema"
Utricularia inflata
Nepenthes Bongso x Maxima
Nepenthes alata
Drosera Madagascarensis (regular form)
Sarracenia leucophylla (?)

UNFORTUNATELY I sold only about 5 out of the 100 plants I brought!
smile_h_32.gif

smile_o_32.gif

Was that a hurricane creek spec?
Anyway i didnt get to go because no one was in my area and cold carpool me, instead i got to go to jeremiahs house (which is like a show anyway) I got 4 N. lowii, and 2 N. rafflensias

smile_h_32.gif
sorry man... I sold only 5 plants and that didnt make enough money for the creek (the dude wanted like... 30 bucks for them, they all went in the first 30 minutes of the show though)

I forgot I also got a D. intermedia x rotundifolia "Nightmare" in the raffle that's pretty cool, and a D. capilaris x rotundifolia from Forbes that's pretty sweet looking, too.

Capslock

AHAH did you see specs old, shivled 99 YEAR OLD BODY
smile_m_32.gif

oh must have been Hideous!

Congrads on your new plants, and your first woolly! Wow that must be neat

Spec is doing pretty well for 99 years old, but he is starting to get that "mothball" smell. And a profound dementia has set in, but that's to be expected at his age.

Capslock

Lol

I didn't know who was who at the show unfortunately. Except spec, I'm guessing spec pointed me out to you, huh capslock? Anyway I didn't sell much either just $28 worth but I was able to get:

A  nep painting (traded)
dente (traded)
N. maxima X bongo (given to me and spec for free)
and....
the 5 footer male stenophylla from a auction for a pretty godly price I must say.

Anybody wants to guess how much I payed for this bad boy? (people at the show don't guess cause I know you know how much I payed for it =P)

Picture0022.jpg

I guess Phil cutted it before bring it over since when I was in the car I noticed that the 5 foot stem was just resting on the dirt... At any rate now I got over 10 cuttings... I have no idea what to do with them. I might trade them here.
I was thinking of getting some wooly sundews.. maybe next time.

Hey IceDragon, yeah Spec pointed you out to me, and I never got a chance to go say hello. I was the big guy in the black Diablo T-shirt whose head was spinning because of all the plants.

Well, if I can propagate my D. paradoxa, I'll give you one.

Capslock

Really? Thanks! Just wondering paradoxa is that sundew Forbes was selling right? The ones that look like perfect round puff balls?

Sounds like a specatular meeting! Can't wait to see the pics!

Hey Ice Dragon,

Actually what happened to the stenophylla was one of the tendrils on the top of the plant got snagged on the metal grid of a bench as I was dragging it out of the greenhouse and it pulled the vine over and snapped it off near the base. Needless to say I was p'd off that had happened but was very happy it made someone happy. Yes you did get it for a very good price. In fact someone walked off with one of my ampularia giant red's for $37. Every plant on the auction table except for 2 were donated by me. For those of you in the area who did not attend you SERIOUSLY missed out on a great show. Between those of us who were vendors..there were so many plants for sale and so many varieties we could have filled a very large greenhouse to capacity. It was wonderful fun and I got to put some faces with screen names.

You would not have believed your eyes over the display plants. There was a collection of Pinguicula that was so outrageously beautiful they looked surreal. They literally made you gasp. I can't wait for next year's. Wouldn't it be cool if the BACPS and the LACPS rallied together and put on a huge combined show? Hmmmmmm <wink>

Phil

oh, thanks for the stenophylla and the seeds again! BTW can you tell me any background info on it? Like what vendor it came from and the location it orginated?
I thought it was a bit weird that the auction plants went for so low. I guess the people ran out of money... Tho not much of the sale plants went anywhere either... *shrug*
Phil, you won't happen to have a pic of your grow area? I would love to see it!
A combined show would be great! Though I think it would have to be hosted during summer vacation and in San Luis Obispo since that is about half way from the bay area and LA.

I wouldn't say nobody bought plants. I did very well, about $1000. So did my buddy Don. We were so busy we didn't have time to stop and eat. The auction plants went for so low because prior to the sale I placed minimum opening bids on every plant. I made them low cost so that people wouldn't have to shell out so much money. It helps spread great plants around to those who don't earn a Silicon Valley income. And it barely scratched my collection. I still have a few thousand plants.

Ice Dragon - I would love to share pics of my collection but you see..I don't own a digital camera. I may toy with the idea later on but for now I rely on visitors to take photos for post. The only history I have on the stenophylla is that I bought it as a small seed grown plant about 6 years ago from Chuck Powell. It came from Germany but that's all I know.

Phil

Back