What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hammered again...

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
Here we go again, hurricane Jeanne. Signing off...

Stay safe Dyflam!! I hope you don't get hit too hard.
Andrew

Everyone in Florida, stay safe!!!

Signing off here too.. seems we're gonna be hit pretty bad. Gonna be somethin' like Charley, methinks.

See y'all in a few days - I hope!

Wow! Will there ever be a hurricane Wally? What the farthest they've gotten in the alphabet anyhoo?

Let's hope we don't find out this season. 2 months of hurricane season left
smile_h_32.gif

GL Floridans! (Prepares for the coming of Jeanne to Virginia).

Well its pretty much on us :/ At least I still have power... (Hope I didnt just Jinx it!)

-Juan-Carlos

Everybody make it through okay? I was like a rat in a maze going to work this morning: My usual road was flooded at one point, cars were driving through it but I turned around and went another way - tree blocking road. Taking back roads, you have to dodge branches and debris. Not to mention about half the traffic lights were out.

Of the two that came through my area, Frances and Jeanne, I don't know which one was worse...

Amazing what is happening to Florida. Hope you are all safe and hear back from you real soon.

Well, survived the storm. House still standing, no leaks, no broken windows. It was the most horrendous roar I've ever heard for about 5 hours straight. I swore the roof was coming off a few different times. No power or water... hope it comes back soon.

Man, sarracenias are tough.

Edit: Oh, and my boat is history.
smile_h_32.gif

Hey homeslices, I'm back! Actually, the power only went out for a few hours, going off at 7:30 in the morning right after the hurricane night, when we were getting the back end of the hurricane, which makes no sense whatsoever, because it usually goes off immediately when the hurricane comes in, and it went off eight hours before Hurricane Charley even LOOKED at us. But this took a while.. and so we powered up the generator and hooked it up to both refridgerators, one TV (even though the generator can only power the TV, not the cable.. so we got ONE screwed-up channel.. hell, my battery-powered portable TV got more channels!), two fans and a light. Later on, around 4 or 5 in the afternoon, we turned on the main line just to see if the power was back on yet or not, and it was! So we were lucky this time... I woke up that morning just from the amount of sheer SILENCE in my room. Usually I go to sleep every night to the usual sounds of two fishtanks (which amounts to two filters, an air pump and a heater), the fan at the end of my bed (gotta have my fan AND the AC on all night, or else I sweat all night.. I'm just like my uncle Gary.. I sweat easily and heavily.. the only thing is that I sleep with my mouth open, so I half-way wake up during the night sometimes with a bone-dry mouth [in all essence, the fan blows my mouth dry].. happened to me last night.. it's a weird feeling, rolling your toungue around in your mouth, waiting for your saliva to return once again), and sometimes the Interstate (half a block away), if the traffic is heavy.. hey, it scares the mother of crap out of you when a semi blows a tire at 70 MPH out there at night... (((BOOM))) *screams* AAAAAAAAA!!! THE SAUDIS ARE BOMBING US AGAIN!!!!!!! But that only happens every once in a while.. hasn't happened lately, though. Anyhoo, I don't normally hear the Interstate from my room over all the other noise, but you can hear it clearly when you're outside. I sometimes go outside on the back porch and just listen to the Interstate. I've known the sound all my life, so it means home to me. Anyhoo, um.. we STILL have most of the windows boarded up, so it's like a hole in this house.. both of my windows are boarded, which means I can't tell the difference between 10 PM and 10 AM in there.. I'm starting to get used to it.. *looks around the room with nocturnal, vertical eye slits*

Back