What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tired of internet exploder?

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
In the past I have tried several browsers and always ended up going back to IE. Monday I decided to try to break away from IE6.whatever again and began using the new Mozilla browser Firefox PR. So far I like it as well and in some instances a lot better than IE6. It's faster, doesn't choke on topics where there are bunches of pictures (Nep forum for instance), and I can open bunches of windows without it crashing. In IE, if I opened a bunch of windows, it would begin to bog down and eventually crash resulting in me having to close IE completly and reopening it and starting over. I've had as many as 20 tabbed windows opened and loading in Firefox at the same time with out crashing it or having wierd things happen to the text or pics being dropped. It loads pics a little faster and more reliably. I haven't yet had it time out on photos in any topic with lots of pics. IE would get to the point where it would quit loading pics and I'd have to refresh the topic to see them. Sometimes I'd have to refresh several times.

It's not all sugar & spice & everything nice though. Some things I was use to doing in IE, such as creating a short cut to a web page on my desktop by right clicking and selecting "Create Shortcut", I can't do in Firefox. The tabbed windows takes a little getting used to also as does some of the layout and commands.

I'm about to the point though, of porting all my Favorites to Firefox and only using IE if I have to.

I've been using Firefox since our IT guy at work said it was more secure than IE a few months ago. I love it! I like the tabbed windows, and find it fast and reliable. It's got a killer Google toolbar too!

Capslock

Capslock, since posting this I discovered how to create a shortcut on the desktop, so one more "con" down the tube. The other nice thing is you can customize what you want and how it looks by downloading extensions and themes. I like the search bar too, because at the click of a button you can go from searching Google to searching Ebay to searching Amazon or dictionary.com. Plus you can add more search engines.
cool.gif

Firefox is my favourite browser and been using it like a year back and I like the better security, popup blocker, google toolbar, and can't forget about mouse gestures
smile.gif
Tabbed windows is the best feature besides mouse gestures.

Haven't tried the mouse gestures but I like being able to block popups and adds without haveing to use another program.

I've been using Firefox and others since last November, I believe I was using Mozilla.
I love the tabs and I've been using it on both Windows and Mac.. I'm using a different interface, I love that it's customizable.. the Bookmark system is easy to sort through and I actually use it...
The best parts are definately the pop up/Security controls and the Google bar.. I use that ALL the time.. even though my homepage is google.. I have Dictionary.com, Google, Google images, IMDB, Live Journal, LEO German-English, and thottbot...

I'm still on 0.9, but I'm guessing PR means Preview Release? or something.. must be 1.0

I "think" PR is Public Release and you're right it's 1.0

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 25 2004,8:04)]I "think" PR is Public Release and you're right it's 1.0
heh6.jpg

Hehe, at first I thought Press release, didn't even think of public release, that would make more sense than either

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 26 2004,1:25)]I've been using Firefox since our IT guy at work said it was more secure than IE a few months ago. I love it! I like the tabbed windows, and find it fast and reliable. It's got a killer Google toolbar too!

Capslock
Anything from Mozilla is spyware city...the only reason any browser is more secure than internet explorer is that they havent been hacked as hard yet.... spyware and hacking are completely different things... Mozilla is half spyware, i do not reccomend using anything from them... Afte rjust 3 days of using Firefox, the computer was so bogged down and slow from spyware that i deleted it... along with 200 spyware programs! Mozilla started as a peer to peer file sharing system after napster bit the dust...It was designed to be intrusive and to be able to ferret out files from peoples computers.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Looked back at the Mozilla product site, I retract my previous statement, but it still stands there are a few people who've had problems with mozilla, but I know none who complained of spyware

Spec,

What you have said is completely ridiculous. Mozilla does not contain one iota of spyware or adware. Mozilla does not allow you to install extensions (things that integrate with the browser) from any site not hosted on their own server. In addition, the complete source is available for anyone to inspect. I'm telling you this as a developer, and a Mozilla user for over two years.

And the part about Mozilla being peer to peer software. Did you just make that up?! I would advise you not to repeat anything so blatantly untrue.

Please read:
http://www.mozilla.org/about/

I will add my name to the "ROCKS" side of this one, haven't got the latest version but will probably do so real soon (dial-up makes it more of a decision)
Tabbed browsing is a great feature, and like someone else (who must also have or have had dialup) mentioned, multiple "refresh" hits aren't needed to load a single page of pics, and with the tabs, only one "instance" of the program is running no matter how many tabs you open....

Can't comment on the mouse gestures, my mouse is a "classic" and doesn't seem to like mozilla too much....,

Oh, and on a fun note, you can get a plug-in that changes the name of the browser (at the top of the window) to silly new names, a buddy of mine loves this feature, someone here may as well

My personal favorite extension is adblock. I hardly see any ads at all when browsing. This combined with the popup blocking makes for a very pleasant experience.

The sheer variety of extensions is mind-numbing, I have only checked out a few, I have cookie culler (which is slick), I will have to look up adblock as well, thanks for the mention...

Oh by the way, I just noticed this thread calls the MS product "exploder" LOL how appropriate
biggrin.gif

Spec, you have no idea of computer programs, do you?
There is absolutely no spyware in mozilla.

Jan

Spec, I use both Ad-Aware6 and Spybot Search and Destroy frequently to check my computer for spyware and adware. In the past week I have not had an instance of either one occuring on my computer. I even checked right after I first ran it. Nothing. It was clean and yes I update both Ad-Aware6 and Spybot Search and Destroy regularly.

I got kinda carried away with the extensions and added 12 of them
smile_n_32.gif
. One of them was so I could have my desktop short cuts back. I haven't tried the password creator yet other than to see how it worked. Wish I'd had that way back when. It would have sved me a lot of headscratchin' trying to come up with random numbers and letters for passwords.
laugh.gif

I just downloaded it today. Predictably, Steve, I have a bit of readjusting to do! But it does seem to move from page to page and download pictures faster for me.

It took me about two days to get used to it. I definitely recommend checking out the extensions to see if there is a feature you would like to try. You can uninstall the extension later if you decide you don't like it. You can also change the look of Firefox with Themes also. The only downside to changing from one theme to another is you have to close Firefox and re-open it to activate the new theme.

Back