What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a birdy!

P.S you wouldnt want a worm that glows chronoo kid, because you would never see it!

*blink blink*.......I wouldn't?.....how?

No im not. i Know most aboyt finches are wild birds, and to a lesser extent parrots, but that would hardly qualify me as a 'expert'!

ChronoKiento; your kidding right? I think its a species of earthworm, and will live underground.

I'd say tha bonobos are the smartest... I think they're even more peaceful than humans. Must be b/c females are the top guns there.
and if you want a glowing worm, you can go to the apalachian mts. and there are glowing larvae (can't remember of what) that live in caves. They attract moths and stuff to sticky mucousy strings and they eat 'em.
there are many bioluminecent organisms actually... (wild ones)
there are fireflies, comb jellies, dinoflagellates, copepods, deep sea fish, even fungi! etc.. aldough many depend on bacteria inside their light organs.

I wonder why a earthworm would need to glow?

great point... maybe it's not an earthworm?
you glow so other's can see you or you can see others... not to waste it underground :p

Perhaps its to starle their only predator, the flightless and nocturnal bird called the Kiwi (So cute they are!) That eats eathworms

Were getting a bit off topic

Chrono how your parakeet been doing?

their only predator? I find that hard to believe. Are they venomous/poisonous (2 diff. things you know) or something? I've never heard of a venomous/poisonous earthworm LOL or maybe it bites? LOL!!!

Well the only extant native vertebrate predator. Mammles are not native to the island (save 2 species of bats), or are birds we normally think of as worm-eating, like thrusts.

I see earthworms all the time even though they live underground so why wouldn't I be able to see a glowing one? ^_^ BTW Aven is doing fine. He doesn't seem to like it when I sleep in cuz he gets bored and wakes me up with his "oh so beautiful" song of DOOM. He's really stubborn. He likes me, he just doesn't want to admit it. Ive been trying to hand feed him some pineapple but he's not to sure at the moment. Which I totally understand. I think so far we've got a boundary set and as long as I don't cross it at this time, he doesn't mind. I'll take some more time. I'm just glad he's finally making some noise now! He seems to want attention...but then when I try to give it to him he cowars. He doesn't really know what he wants right now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He likes me, he just doesn't want to admit it.
ROFLMAO!!!!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

and not all earthworms are the same you know... some are even endangered (or rare? can't remember) in australia. GIANT earthworms... can't remember how big either. more than a meter ...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He doesn't seem to like it when I sleep in cuz he gets bored and wakes me up with his "oh so beautiful" song of DOOM
get used to it!!!!!!!!!!! every single day from now until he dies he'll be doing that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I see earthworms all the time even though they live underground so why wouldn't I be able to see a glowing one? ^_^

Because that the island that harbors this species has 250 other species of earthworm- there not all the same!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He likes me, he just doesn't want to admit it.
Thats not a good attitude to have. If he dont like u yet, he s gonna act so. he may warm up if you slow down, because its sounds like your going too fast. And BTW they may not like pineapple (too acidic)

No no no you misunderstand. He kinda calls me to his cage then he acts like "well what do you want?" when I get there....it's hard to explain. It's just the vibe he's giving me. When he was in the cage in the petshop he had a whole half of the cage to himself cuz he didn't want ANYONE near his fruit block thingy. Well I read in a book that pinneapple is something that he likes. He eats it when I stick it in his food bowl. He just doesn't want me to hold it while he eats it. Another thing the reason I may seem to be going so fast is because my mom and sister won't leave me alone about him X_X 24/7 they are bugging me to bond with the bird and when I say that just being in the room is the best that he can handle right now. They call me lazy and then torment the poor guy by sitting right next to the cage and staring at him for 15 minutes!!! Then when he squawks she's like "Awwww he's singing to me" and I'm like "No what he's saying is, GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME you SILLY...SILLY LITTLE GIRL!" and then she says "yeah right like you'd know" then she sticks her hand in his cage till he starts ahem "singing" again. She's a psycho I swear!!! Scary thing is that she's 18. :p HA! more like X_X

do ALL siblings suddenly go retarded once they have a little brother?
oh wait... I'm not retarded so no :p

Yes!! I must corrupt my whole family!!!

Im kinda coming in on this a little late, but I figure I might be able to add something as I have 10 birds (anyone in Seattle want a bird?)

What I do to get a bird comfortable with people is first clip its wings (if you have never done that before have a professional do it) then I toss a blanket over my couch and put the bird on the back of it, then I sit down on the other end and put a treat (like spray millet) in the middle and a little water dish on the far end by the bird. Then I watch TV or something..

Eventually the bird is going to want the treat enough, either because it likes it or gets hungry, that it walks down the couch to the treat and starts eating. I let it eat a little then move the treat closer, and the bird will eventually come closer and closer, then onto my shoulder.

Might take an hour, might take a week, but once on the shoulder i try hand feeding, then petting etc..

Wow, that sounds like a really good idea. But I don't want to get his wings clipped. My mom won't take him to the vet to do it. And I don't have the money right now. I guess I'll just do it the old fashioned way. I have to many cats wandering around the house to put him on my couch anyway. Thanks anyway though.

well then with your siblings and no wing clipping i dont know if this bird will ever trust any of you. you or she have given it no reason to, and first impressions are a big thing

will the store where you purchased the bird clip the wings... they may do it for free?

if so... take my previous idea and use your bed instead of the couch! also dont get a second bird if you want this parakeet to be as tame as possible, but if you cant tame it get a second bird!

Back