What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stinky moss

Hi,

Here is a funny one. Maybe somebody else has done a similar thing...Hope this is the right forum.
About a month ago, I wetted dry NZ long fibered sphagnum in a 5 gallon bucket. Usually I squeeze it all out, but I was squeezing as I was using. Well, I left a bunch in the bucket sopping wet, and last night decided to use the bucket. So, I was squeezing the moss and putting it in a bag and my wife said, "What is that smell?" I had a stuffy nose and did not notice right away, but the moss is quite stinky. I can still smell it on my hands this morning.
Can you keep soaking it in fresh water for a day and squeezing it out repeatedly to freshen it back up? I know most people would throw it out, but NZ is not available around here. Or, would doing the above and letting it dry again do something?

Cheers,

Joe

It will freshen up again. The stink is from anerobic bacteria. Squeeze it out and let it drain and just keep flushing clean water through it. Then spread it out to drain and dry out a bit. The hydrogen sulfide will dissipate eventually.

Thanks Tony! I knew if anyone had a angle on this one, it would be you.

LOL I did the same thing, and also just cleaned it out, but you're right, it stunk like something awful
biggrin.gif

I did that once too! Phew!
smile_n_32.gif
(we need a green vomiting smiley here!)

I think I read somewhere that you were supposed to leave it overnight so that's why I had done it. I never do anymore!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Oct. 07 2004,1:40)]Thanks Tony! I knew if anyone had a angle on this one, it would be you.
So what your saying is.. out of all the people on the forum I would be the one to come to for stinky moss! hehe

I have either had my moss insulted or my knowledge complimented
smile_k_ani_32.gif

T

Back