What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum

Hello everyone
So the only local supply of sphagnum I can purchase is dyed a nasty dark green. I remember reading somewhere that the dye is deadly to CPs. I'd appreciate it if anyone can tell me this is true for sure. Thanks!!

Amori

huh.. I am surprised your having such a hard time. Have you tried the folks over at the cpuk forum on where they get their sphagnum?

I really don't know if the green dye is detrimental. Perhaps it will flush out of the moss?

Tony

Hi Tony
I tried flushing, wringing, boiling the sphagnum and the dye refuses to budge. I did notice however that there are signs of life from some tips, when I checked it closely today (it's been sitting in tap water, and surprisingly, doesn't smell nasty at all). There may be hope.
I re-discovered a cacti/orchid/CP nursery (Tamarisk Nurseries, where I bought my first VFT over ten years ago...) near where I live and I'll be heading down there tomorrow to go shopping. I'll probably find some of the good stuff there.

Thanks!

Amori

There ias plenty of live spgnum at my lakehouse, at my house, and down the road from ym house if anyone needs some.

Back