What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My bonsai has germinated

Wooooooooooo-hooooooooooooo!
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

My Bonsai herb tree(Hyssop) has germinated today.
smile.gif

Howeevr, I have sowed too many seeds, I sowed over 16, and eevry single one has germinated.
smile_l_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Now, whateevr shall I do with all of them?
smile_l_32.gif

Im really happy!
smile.gif

Dino
cool.gif

Keep them and choose the strongest one. Also, alot of them might die to fungus so its good to have a back up just in case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Oct. 12 2004,2:43)]Keep them and choose the strongest one.  Also, alot of them might die to fungus so its good to have a back up just in case.
Well if nearly all of them end up strong, Im gonna have to keep them, its inhumane to throw any out anyway.
smile_h_32.gif

Congrats! I would pot them each seperately and chose the strongest one(s) for growing as a bonsai.

Survival of the fittest. My Colorado spruces have yet to germinate
confused.gif

I will probably throw away the ones hwich will die and give most away and keep a few myself.
smile.gif

Will I be doing that leggaly tho?
I liv int he U.K.
If you live in the U.S.A, I cant do anything legally.

didnt kno u lived in the UK, bonsai plants are made for indoors ryte?> most of the ppl that hav them, usually end up dead, from misstreatment, but my dad leaves it outside under the shade, and it thrives, now its cold so i dono, im not much of a bonsai fanatic, but my dad got his in target for 15bucks, i need to take pix of it, but yea, all that spiritual stuff i hav no knowledge of

i hav no clue about the clipping and how if its cut and forms it means som sort of meaning, all that spiritual stuff i hav no i

[b said:
Quote[/b] (AzNsUShi41 @ Oct. 22 2004,9:27)]didnt kno u lived in the UK, bonsai plants are made for indoors ryte?> most of the ppl that hav them, usually end up dead, from misstreatment, but my dad leaves it outside under the shade, and it thrives, now its cold so i dono, im not much of a bonsai fanatic, but my dad got his in target for 15bucks, i need to take pix of it, but yea, all that spiritual stuff i hav no knowledge of

i hav no clue about the clipping and how if its cut and forms it means som sort of meaning, all that spiritual stuff i hav no i
true bonsais are not indoor plants.

they are supposed to grown outside.
you are only supposed to bring them in when it gets too cold outside. to prevent freezing.

otherwise, keeping them indoors is what kills lik 95% of the bonsai's raised by the average person.
they simply dont know it is supposed to be outside.

yea, ppl think its an ornamental plants, like the asian lucky bamboo arangements

Bonsai is simply a style/method of growing to maintain a plant in miniature form while resembling it's full sized natural counterpart. They can be made from temperate and tropical plants so the care for the plant should be similiar to the plant's natural growing conditions.

how low can bonsai's handle in temp? cuz mines is outside and its like 50s at lowest

It depends on the plant.

i dono wat it is, imma tke a pix of it later

sorry, kinda long..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Frequently Asked Questions About Bonsai

Practiced for centuries in China and Japan, bonsai is the reproduction of natural tree forms in miniature. Bonsai trees are living miniature trees which increase in beauty and value as they mature over the years.

How often should I water my bonsai tree?
Unlike a houseplant, bonsai trees use a "free draining" type of soil because their roots cannot tolerate "wet feet". In addition, they are grown in significantly less soil and, therefore require more watering. Factors such as tree location, temperature, lighting conditions, quantity of soil used, and the changing seasons will determine the frequency of watering. You can get to know when your tree needs to be watered by observing the foliage, testing the soil with your index finger just below the surface, or just by the weight of the pot. (The drier the tree, the lighter it will feel.) To take the guesswork out of watering, we recommend an inexpensive moisture meter which works very much like a thermometer. Insert it into the soil and the movement of the needle will tell you if it is time to water.

How often should I re-pot my bonsai tree?
All potted plants will eventually outgrow their containers. While houseplants need to be "up-potted", that is, placed in larger and larger containers, we maintain the miniaturization of a bonsai tree by keeping the roots confined to the small container. On average, repotting will be necessary every 3-5 years, but the tree should be removed from its container and its root system inspected once a year. If the roots form a circular ball around the perimeter of the pot, it is time to trim the roots and repot. When repotting remember to (a) use only bonsai soil (b) remove air pockets by working the soil down through the roots © do not remove more that 20% of the root system (d) repot during the appropriate repotting season (e) water well and keep out of the sun for a week or two.

How often should I mist my bonsai tree?
All trees grow in more humid conditions than our homes, offices and dormitories. So what can we do to provide this essential humidity ? Misting the tree is only beneficial for a short time, so what we recommend is to place the tree on a humidity tray and add water to the tray. As the water in the tray evaporates it creates a humid environment around the tree 24 hours a day. When the water in the tray is gone, add more water. It's a good idea to separate the pot from the water in the tray by adding some pebbles to the bottom of the tray. This will prevent any roots from sitting in the water.

How much sunlight is required for my bonsai tree?
Sunlight, especially the ultra-violet ray, affects the growth of trees. Therefore, except in special cases such as immediately after repotting, extensive trimming, etc, bonsai should be placed in a sunny location. Bright light will also work well but the tree should not be placed more than 12" away from the direct light source. An east, west or southern exposure works best. A northern exposure will require the use of "grow lights" which should remain on up to 16 hours each day and the lamp should not be more than 2 inches from the top of the tree. Incandescent light is too hot and will not provide the various spectrum of light that is required to maintain your bonsai tree. If you do not have a window or light source that provides an east, west or southern exposure, be sure to select a bonsai tree that does well in lower lighting conditions.

How is miniaturizing a tree possible?
No one single technique is adequate to make a tree small. The fact that the tree is grown in a container, the trimming, pruning, repotting and other care given the tree -- all contribute to the final result of limited growth. Dwarf trees are often found in a natural environment, but in bonsai this environment is provided artificially. Bonsai are grown in shallow containers the size of which determines the amount of soil the roots are able to grow in. This environment definitely restricts the growth of the roots and its functions.

What is bonsai soil and why is it used for bonsai?
As noted previously, potted trees do not do well in soil that is always wet. Potting soil and top soil are heavy soils that can remain wet for weeks. Bonsai soil is a mixture of ingredients which allows the water to drain freely and at the same time, retain moisture. In addition, the ingredients allow the roots to breathe air and prevent compaction. There are two basic types of bonsai soil -- a conifer mix and a tropical/sub/tropical mix. Before adding any soil mixture, be sure to cover the drainage hole(s) with screening to prevent the soil from washing out of the pot. When re-potting, it is always best to use the soil mixture in its dry state.

you said herb tree right?
maybe not survive below 50. but I'm not an expert.

that arm it has is a bit long......and the underside is getting a bit to far down in growth..

might wanna trim it a bit
smile_m_32.gif

Well your Bonsai is a very hardy type,AzNsUShi41.
Thats why.
Trees like Serrisa will instantly die if exposed to any frost or very cold temepratures.

u guys kno wat species this is? and i hav no knowledge on trimming bonsai

Back