What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Internet explorer trouble

First of all VIRUSES SUCK! One totally went psycho and messed some stuff up. Mostly Internet Explorer stuff. But anyway it's been giving me trouble lots of trouble...even AFTER I got rid of it. So far IE won't let me have more than one window open, (when I open a new one it closes the old one) the status bar won't stay up, (it goes away whenever I click a link) and then there's that little annoying thing that annoys me some too. The volume button in the bottom right corner isn't there so I have to go to the control panel to change the volume. Well here's where I have this major problem. I do school on the internet (Cyber School) and see I have to have a lot of IE windows open at once. So I can't do my school work until I get the PeoplePC Online disc for my school computer. AND I'm already behind because I started school 2 weeks late. So I really need to get this fixed FAST. Does ANYONE at all have any ideas on how I can fix it???

You can try going into the add/remove window in the control panel and select Internet Explorer. Then tell it to repair its self.... And see if that works.
Then if it does or even if it doesn't you should try the Mozilla Firefox browser that we've been talking about. I tried it due to those recent posts and am loving it so far.

I'm afriad if that doesn't work for the IE it's going to be quite a bit of Trouble shooting and configing. Too much to do over a forum like this.
Good luck!
Andrew

There are free online virus scanners out there, you can try those. I don't know the sites yet but I can find them and give them to you. Also you can go to download.com and download Ad-Aware and check for spyware just in case, Spybot is also a good spyware scanner. Also last but not least, download firefox unless your cyber school is designed speciafically but i doubt it but then again I don't know

I have the avast! scanner and the viruses are gone. But the after effect is what's bugging me. I'm not sure my sister is going to go for the Firefox browser. She's convinced that she knows everything about computers when the amish know more than her. x_x Therefore she won't beleive that it's better. Oh! I tried to uninstall thing a while ago and it didn't do anything.

Well if your sister knows anything about pc's then she should know how much IE sucks!! I hate IE! It sounds to me that you have more of a spyware problem. You should take the advice and scan for spyware. Then you should rescan for viruses at an online site. I would try more than one spyware and virus programs because alot of times one will not detect something that another will.
Then you should download another browser. Did I mention how much IE sucks?

Yeah I told my sister that there are better spyware programs than the one she has now. I'm gonna download a new one...run a spyware check the uninstall it right away so she don't know. Just because I don't feel like dealing with her. She's in a good mood today though.

Ok, looky here...SpyHunter found 132 things of spyware...the one I ahve couldn't find ANY! The moral of this story is....don't get spybot search and destroy! It sucks! But...I have just clicked...start remove...and you know what it said? You must first purchase the full version of this software to remove it. WTF MATE!!!! OMG I'M SO PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!

There are so many hackers and virii these days, are you sure you didn't piss someone off? I know a couple of people it's happened to.

why do people do things like this

i wouldn't say that
smile.gif
hackers are really smart.

i'd say out of spite, revenge, even for kicks.

Just because your spyware program missed the spyware doesn't mean that it's not a good one. You have to keep them updated or they are worthless.

There are only 3 things you'll ever need.

A. Norton Antivirus - Removal of viruses and Trojans

B. Webroot Spysweeper and/or Ad-Aware SE - Removal of adware, spyware, and trojan downloaders.

C. Firefox - Best internet browser there is, and independant of Windows unlike IE, so you won't have to worry about nutty system errors or bugs in case something goes wrong.

www.symantec.com
www.webroot.com
www.lavasoft.de
www.mozilla.org

Scanning them all in safe mode is VERY IMPORTANT if you want to get rid of everything.

If worse comes to worse and there's still problems, then I recommend getting HijackThis! which will allow you to turn off and delete any and all foreign processes.

Well scanning things doesn't do any good if I can't delete it. Some of it can't be accessed by hand or I would have deleted them already. And with Spybot Search and Destroy...y'know the crappy one. It says that there aren't any updates available. And it passed over 152 parasites! Does anyone know how I can get rid of them manually?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Oct. 12 2004,8:07)]i wouldn't say that
smile.gif
hackers are really smart.

i'd say out of spite, revenge, even for kicks.
They may be intelligent, but they are nothing more then lonely lowlifes who have nothign ebtter to do then to go in and wreck peoples computers for 'fun'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fygee @ Oct. 13 2004,4:24)]There are only 3 things you'll ever need.

A. Norton Antivirus - Removal of viruses and Trojans

B. Webroot Spysweeper and/or Ad-Aware SE - Removal of adware, spyware, and trojan downloaders.

C. Firefox - Best internet browser there is, and independant of Windows unlike IE, so you won't have to worry about nutty system errors or bugs in case something goes wrong.

www.symantec.com
www.webroot.com
www.lavasoft.de
www.mozilla.org

Scanning them all in safe mode is VERY IMPORTANT if you want to get rid of everything.

If worse comes to worse and there's still problems, then I recommend getting HijackThis! which will allow you to turn off and delete any and all foreign processes.
Thanks! I was getting tired of having to go into DOS just to remove virus's that I couldn't get rid of 'cause they were running while the computer was completely booted... even in safe mode!

The sad truth is that that won't be all you'll need in a few years...
mad.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks for that comment Starman
smile.gif

Well I haven't gotten anywhere today X_X I still can't keep more than one window open at once and the status bar still goes away. The volume controller came back though. That's good. And as for the mozilla thing...I can't download it. My sister thinks she can fix it she says "Kyle! I have to go through and do all this stuff to it so just stop messing with it!" so then I was like "well tell me what you do so that I can do help fix it!" then she said "NO! I don't want you messing with my computer!" then I said "I want it for my computer not yours! when I get the modem fixed I'll wanna know!" Then she just looked at me and shook her head cuz she DOESN'T know how to fix it. She doesn't know how to do anything. I admit that WinMX is the source of the problem but I can't fix it if she won't let me! I know at least 10 times as much about computers than her! GRRR!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Oct. 13 2004,8:23)]Well scanning things doesn't do any good if I can't delete it. Some of it can't be accessed by hand or I would have deleted them already. And with Spybot Search and Destroy...y'know the crappy one. It says that there aren't any updates available. And it passed over 152 parasites! Does anyone know how I can get rid of them manually?
Do you scan in safe mode? Also, don't use Norton Antivirus for scanning spyware. For some reason the darn thing won't delete most spyware and adware programs, which boggles my mind.

Go download SpySweeper from Webroot's website, install it and update it (trial version is good for one definition update, which is okay for fixing your problem now), reboot in safe mode (hit F8 just before Windows starts), and then scan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I admit that WinMX is the source of the problem but I can't fix it if she won't let me! I know at least 10 times as much about computers than her!

Delete it while you're in safe mode, since you can get into the hidden admin account when booting that way. ;)

Back