What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hole in the ozone!

I'm so glad I was homeschooled
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 14 2004,1:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 14 2004,8:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.
uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!

True, CFC's CAN cause enhance the greenhouse effect, BUT we're talking about the ozone layer here, correct??
confused.gif

I'm kinda lost...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] compltely disagree.
An ozone hole means that the powerful ultraviolet rays to get through.
The result:

Antarctica is slowly compltely melting away.
Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!

And Wolf, many of the great scientists were creation scientists...
Actually.............
I have read in the book that UV rays are blocked by the Ozone layer.
Too much of these, adn you burn.
When you go red ont he beach, that is the result of a little UV rays.
Imagine waht a lot can do.
Yes, but these thigns are accosiated.
There is a hole int he Ozone layer.
Hot UV rays get through.
they melt the ice int he Arctic.
they warm up the Arctic ocean.
Penguins/Polar BVears loose their habitat.
There will be less cold loving plants and animals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Starman @ Oct. 14 2004,10:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 14 2004,1:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 14 2004,8:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.
uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!

True, CFC's CAN cause enhance the greenhouse effect, BUT we're talking about the ozone layer here, correct??
confused.gif

I'm kinda lost...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] compltely disagree.
An ozone hole means that the powerful ultraviolet rays to get through.
The result:

Antarctica is slowly compltely melting away.
Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!

And Wolf, many of the great scientists were creation scientists...
Actually.............
I have read in the book that UV rays are blocked by the Ozone layer.
Too much of these, adn you burn.
When you go red ont he beach, that is the result of a little UV rays.
Imagine waht a lot can do.
Yes, but these thigns are accosiated.
There is a hole int he Ozone layer.
Hot UV rays get through.
they melt the ice int he Arctic.
they warm up the Arctic ocean.
Penguins/Polar BVears loose their habitat.
There will be less cold loving plants and animals.
o.......... m.......... g..........

Ok, I'll quickly explain what UV rays do...

UV rays are a form of radiation that comes from the sun. You can't see it, can't feel it, and it's not physical heat (light ITSELF is heat, not UV!)

On a summer day, dont be fooled if it's a cloudy sky... the UV will go right through. Only ozone (primarily) can stop the UV... Anyway, UV isn't what's going to melt the Antarctic...

The ozone layer blocks UVA, UVB, and UVC. All of the UVC is blocked, none of it gets through. Be exposed to a little bit of that and you'll get skin cancer by morning
smile_m_32.gif

It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though. I would explain what makes Ozone, how UVC helps, and all that, but i'd be typing another 40 minutes...

And at any rate, the UV radiation isn't physical heat...

TheAlphaWolf is right; no credible science textbook invokes religious doctrine. There simply is no intersection between the two, and the potential for doctrine to undermine scientific data is simply too great for the two to co-exist in a textbook. Religion is about faith, and science is about data.

In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment. While I'm sure that, overall, you're getting a (much) better education than if you were in the public schools here in California, you should be aware that you are not getting an objective viewpoint, and that you should do some of your own research into all sides of issues like this.

The US is the lone holdout on the Kyoto environment agreements, and is at odds with the rest of the world on global warming. Oh, and guess who economically gets hurt by new environmental regulations on greenhouse gasses? Energy companies! This explains the objections of the current administration.

However, there is distortion and uncertainty on both sides, as climatic changes do happen naturally, and it's hard to tell what is responsible for the current rapid upswing in temperatures. There are enough interest groups on both sides to make any individual bit of information suspect.

However, the world-wide consensus is that there is rapid warming due to our pollution. It's one of those areas where it's better to be safe than sorry, too. The stakes of being wrong about it are far worse if there IS global warming due to our pollution than if there isn't.

Capslock

Is it just me, or is that whenever religion/evolution is brought up, Spec is always on the forefront? LOL We need more leaders that are that bold!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would also like to add this:

people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them.I would also like to add this:

Spec, I would think you'd be used to that as many beatings as you take from people. LOL

Anyway, sorry, I just had to poke a little fun cause this topic is getting sorta heated. I've seen a lot about the "squirrel topic". I didn't read it, and I have a feeling it got locked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm so glad I was homeschooled

I'm homeschooler, what luck, I know homschoolers on the world wide web, that aren't just my close aquatances(sp)

I was gonna say somethin about the topic, but then I forgot what I wanted to say, and since I've already typed all of the stuff above, that's all you'll get. Oh how heated these topics are! Isn't it great!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 14 2004,10:55)]TheAlphaWolf is right; no credible science textbook invokes religious doctrine. There simply is no intersection between the two, and the potential for doctrine to undermine scientific data is simply too great for the two to co-exist in a textbook. Religion is about faith, and science is about data.

In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment. While I'm sure that, overall, you're getting a (much) better education than if you were in the public schools here in California, you should be aware that you are not getting an objective viewpoint, and that you should do some of your own research into all sides of issues like this.

The US is the lone holdout on the Kyoto environment agreements, and is at odds with the rest of the world on global warming. Oh, and guess who economically gets hurt by new environmental regulations on greenhouse gasses? Energy companies! This explains the objections of the current administration.

However, there is distortion and uncertainty on both sides, as climatic changes do happen naturally, and it's hard to tell what is responsible for the current rapid upswing in temperatures. There are enough interest groups on both sides to make any individual bit of information suspect.

However, the world-wide consensus is that there is rapid warming due to our pollution. It's one of those areas where it's better to be safe than sorry, too. The stakes of being wrong about it are far worse if there IS global warming due to our pollution than if there isn't.

Capslock
But what I really wonder about, is what would have happened to this thread if i had just taken out the one sentence with God in it? Would everyone have said the same thing? Or would TheAlphaWolf said "Oh wow you're right" and the topic would just sink down into oblivion?

Just 'cause a textbook has God in it here and there, doesn't make it a crumby book in which all data in there is false/faulty...

"In any case, it's clear, Spec, that you are being exposed to a politically conservative set of information on the environment."

Maybe that's why I asked for some links to articles from OTHER viewpoints?
smile_m_32.gif
You never really know for SURE if you haven't read it from all sides...

Wesley,

Yea I don't know how long I can take these beatings... I mean come on, cant TheAlphaWolf tone it down a little bit?

Plus the AIM messages I've gotten from people (bout 6 people) make me just want to drop the topic and not look at it again... People screamin and yellin at me just because I have a religion? Come on!!!! Makes me wonder why I participate in online groups... That's always how it happens.

I was homeschooled as well but we didn't use a curriculum because most of them were religous and highly one sided especially in areas such as science. So I taught myself and I ended up with a more well rounded education because of it. I had to learn to research everything on my own and look at all the data available. I quickly learned that just looking at the information from ONE book can get you in trouble quick. The more sources and the more variety the better informed you'll be.
But Spec being slammed on AOL because he's religous bothers me. I know many people who rant and rave that they are sick of religion being shoved down their throats but they insist on shoving their anti-religion opinions down others throats just as hard. Seems so hypocritical..
That said I agree with Capslock that a science book that preaches religion would loose much of it's credibility. The two just shouldn't be mixed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!
yes, but it's GLOBAL warming. not antartica warming.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!
sure I do...
UV rays cause sunburn!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That is completely true and you're doing it right now AlphaWolf

As for the textbook, its because I go to a religious school.
MEEE?
confused.gif
?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I basically debunked every "fact" you said and you say I'M the one ignoring facts???
I need a drink
(LOL... juice... I don't even like alcohol... nor allowed to drink it)
and HA! I knew you went to a religious school!!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ](light ITSELF is heat, not UV!)
UV IS light!!! you just can't feel it (we don't see ALL light)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though.
eehh... says who?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Maybe that's why I asked for some links to articles from OTHER viewpoints?  You never really know for SURE if you haven't read it from all sides...
and yet YOU don't give US anything but a religious textbook!
I gave you plenty of sties. If you're not going to believe a bunch of sites over a religious textbook, then why did you ask for them?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yea I don't know how long I can take these beatings... I mean come on, cant TheAlphaWolf tone it down a little bit?

Plus the AIM messages I've gotten from people (bout 6 people) make me just want to drop the topic and not look at it again... People screamin and yellin at me just because I have a religion? Come on!!!! Makes me wonder why I participate in online groups... That's always how it happens
HUH??? YOU'RE the one who called me ignorant, said that you lost all respect for me (while I said that I lost all respect for your TEXTBOOK... aldough since you're the one ingoring facts doesn't make me respect you very much)and you were calling me other, less nice stuff in the AIM. and YOU'RE the one who was screaming at me! even when I told you that if you could just wait a second.
and I don't care that you have a religion. it's the fact that you mix it in with science that really annoys me.

suuuuuuuuuuuure.... I'm sure if people read what you said, you'd be ashamed. You know why I called you ignorant? For your not so nice... uh... stuff you said to me on aim
confused.gif
smile_o_32.gif
Who said i was screaming? you were the one with capslock on and words <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>THIS BIG</span>But what you said to me was nothin compared to what others said to me this morning.

"It would take a COMPLETE depletion of the ozone layer to let ANY UVC though.

eehh... says who?"

Says who? Uh, ME. It doesn't take much ozone to block out UVC. And if you knew the cycle of how ozone was made, I think you'd agree...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For your not so nice... uh... stuff you said to me on aim Who said i was screaming? you were the one with capslock on and words THIS BIGBut what you said to me was nothin compared to what others said to me this morning.
ok.. true, I did say one thing ONCE and after you had been screaming (all caps, with multiple exclamation points) and saying I was ignoring you when I asked you if you could just wait a second. how many times did you call ME names?
and yes, I did use all caps. but I didn't write big. and that was only after I told you without using all caps and you still didn't understand. you started the yelling and the name calling. I only began so that I could stop it.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Says who? Uh, ME. It doesn't take much ozone to block out UVC. And if you knew the cycle of how ozone was made, I think you'd agree...
says you? PPTTFF... give me sites. not religious textbooks.
and I DO know how ozone is made. UV breaks O2, and each O molecule bonds with a O2 molecule to make O3. it's in that NASA site I gave you (did you even read it?)

AAAAAAAHHHHHH that's right... b/c you're in a religious school you don't believe in evolution... and all the things that have been "proved wrong" probably come from a religious book... figures.

angry-smiley-004.gif

angry-smiley-044.gif

nomatter what the argument there is no exuse for such bhavior.

Spec, you say 6 people!?

well ...

Well they should respect your religeon and veiw points.

angry-smiley-046.gif

just for the record, I've never written a hate mail in like 3 years. (well... I'm not sure if you could consider the e-mail I wrote someone complaining about them "hate mail"... which really wasn't all that bad... and I was 13 anyway)

this is why religion should be restricted to religious topics.

anyways.....

yes... it always ends up the same.
"it's like grandma's nightshirt, it covers everything"

I'm gonna act sorta like a moderater here and say that both sides are right in some areas and wrong in others. I have seen that science has proven... many times. Science CANNOT prove ANYTHING. Ask any TRUE scientist and they will tell you that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]this is why religion should be restricted to religious topics.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]TheAlphaWolf is right; no credible science textbook invokes religious doctrine. There simply is no intersection between the two, and the potential for doctrine to undermine scientific data is simply too great for the two to co-exist in a textbook. Religion is about faith, and science is about data.

On the contrary, science has everything in the world to do with it. That is why it exists; to learn about the world around us. There two major theories, creationism and evolution. Without a faith neither one is a credible theory. Creaton uses it faith that something created everything, and that everything that happens happens quite quickly catastrophism. Evolution has says that everything took millions of years to evolve from a single living cell that randomly appeared. It is the matter of what you are lead to believe. If religion/faith were removed from science, creationism AND evolution would thus become dicredible(wow that took a long time to type that word). It think I have everything. Both faiths/religions have their strong points and weak points.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]creationism AND evolution would thus become dicredible(wow that took a long time to type that word).
ummm... what do you mean by that?
evolution IS credible not because of faith, but because there's proof.
there's no way all the fossil species and today's species could have ever shared the world at the same time.... and you can see that mutations do exist, you can see natural selection is going on, etc...

I dont understand why religeon and sience clash.

In early midevil times, the church was one of the biggest suporters of science and installed complex timekeeping and physic macines in their cathedreals. They funded Astronimers and biologists. Since the bible and god was the truth, they reasoned, how could finding out more of the truth be wrong? It was about galaleio's time that the curch reversed its position.

well... religion and science clash because religion isn't scientific. now, do we all agree on that?
science is about proof. If you want to have a religion or something, ok, that's fine.... but there's no scientific proof of any religion. you can prove things (like floods or something) that the bible or koran or something says, but you can't prove that there is a god or that he went around telling people to write down things.
If you start believing something that can't possibly be proven, or that HAS been proven, that's not science.
I could also say why I don't believe in any religion... but that would be going too far wouldn't it? if you want me to talk about that, PM me. I don't want people saying I offended them because I was saying why I don't have a religion.

Back