What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hole in the ozone!

I was watching the news last night for a school thing and they said that the Hole in the Ozone layer is slowly closing! They showed it last year and then they showed it this year and it's A LOT smaller. This is so cool!

Let's hope you're right.  I just checked The Ozone Hole and it says the ozone hole is smaller than the 2003 edition, which was a big one.  But there's a lot of annual variation and the change from one year to the next doesn't mean much.  Although a decrease sure is better than an increase.

The size of the ozone hole was never a big deal... the ozone hole will never completely close, nor will it completely... uhm.... open :p But last years hole didnt have much of an impact on the environment. The ozone hole is nothing to worry about right now.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 13 2004,2:00)]The ozone hole is nothing to worry about right now.
smile.gif
Well that is good. I will go drive my Hummer now!
smile_n_32.gif

Um, I disagree, spec. The ozone hole lets in harmful rays that, among other things, increases the incidence of skin cancer. Austrailia, which is located near the ozone hole, has the highest levels of skin cancer in the world.

No, the ozone hole isn't the end of the world, but it IS something to worry about.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 13 2004,2:31)]Um, I disagree, spec. The ozone hole lets in harmful rays that, among other things, increases the incidence of skin cancer. Austrailia, which is located near the ozone hole, has the highest levels of skin cancer in the world.

No, the ozone hole isn't the end of the world, but it IS something to worry about.

Capslock
sunscreen
smile_n_32.gif

Well, yeah! And a wide-brimmed hat! LOL!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Oct. 13 2004,11:31)]Um, I disagree, spec. The ozone hole lets in harmful rays that, among other things, increases the incidence of skin cancer. Austrailia, which is located near the ozone hole, has the highest levels of skin cancer in the world.

Capslock
I was talking about all them propagandists in the 80's saying it was the end of the world and all that
smile_m_32.gif

And what your Hummer lets out, Travis, isn't doing a thing to the ozone hole or to the environment, as compared to nature... Only the gas gauge is gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon
smile_k_ani_32.gif

And with the $3.00 a gallon for gas here in california... well, good luck
smile_m_32.gif

I still find it nothing to worry about, unless your sun tanning on the beach every day in southern australlia...

There is no tan for me. It is one of the two: red as a lobster or white as snow. I have the farmer tan going right now but fading fast with fall here.

I think they have those deals were you can test drive a car/suv for a day. Not sure if they would let me with a Hummer. $3.00 dollars a gallon? Sure glad I live in Michigan...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

spec, I disagree (surprise surprise!)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what your Hummer lets out, Travis, isn't doing a thing to the ozone hole or to the environment, as compared to nature
huh?
confused.gif

and the hole IS something to worry about! if it gets big enough it could dramatically affect everyone and everything.
if the ozone keeps being depleted, more UV rays will get to us giving us skin cancer, it will warm up the earth and therefore kill coral reefs that took millions of years to form, it will probably cause more hurricanes and tornados more often because they like warm places, it will melt polar ice caps and raise sea levels which will flood costal areas (that's actually visible in some areas [that the sea level is rising]), it will then mess up the great ocean conveyor and plunge us into an ice age, millions of people, plants, animlas, etc will die of starvation and because they can't adapt fast enough to the changing environment (15-37% of species may go extinct... not animal species, not plant species, but plants, animals, fungi, archae, eubacteria.... do you know how many species that is??? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn....KENhttp    these are experts talking...), etc...  
I'm sure there are more concequences... I don't know all that much about global warming.

Oh for the love of god... cant you ever agree with me? please?
smile_m_32.gif

And the ozone hole hardly contributes a thing to global warming... which is nothing to worry about either. average temperatures fluctuate from century to century... And to tell you the truth, coral loves UV light... It brings out the best in them. (well of course there IS a limit of UV that coral tolerates...)

And, the ozone hole isnt a HOLE, there still is a LITTLE bit of ozone there. Enough to filter out all UVC radiation, which would be devastating to anything that was exposed to it...

And believe me, the hole isnt going to become so big that it's going to dramaticly effect the earths environment.

Yes the sea level is rising in some areas, but its nothing to worry about.... YET
smile_m_32.gif

I won't even get into how travis's hummer doesnt contribute much to global warming or to pollution.... i would be typing here for an hour.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Oct. 14 2004,12:22)]wow  3 bucks a gal, its only 1.80 here
drool.... I remember when it was 90 cents a gallon in oklahoma in year 2002...
smile_k_ani_32.gif

We still have it lucky, europe wants like 5 pounds a gallon...

Yeah I'm glad it's at least not getting bigger. That would suck. But if we can get it to actually be filled in then we'd be in great shape. Even though..that probably won't happen until everyone drives electric cars. I actually can't wait for that.

Even then it's not going to happen. What man contributes to pollution and global warming and all that stuff is less than .1% of what nature contributes

No spec altough i agree with you often i disagree with you on this.

For centuries wev been clearing forests and burning coal, gas, and oil into the atmosphere faster than the plants and oceans can soak them up. And as more plants dissapeir under pavement and die from desertfication, this will decrese each year.

Human activity almost certainly drove most of the peast centurie's warming, a landmark report from the United Nations Intervovermental Panel on Global climate change announced in 2001. Global temperatures are shooting up faster than any time in the past thousand years. And climate models show that natural forces, such as volcanic eruptions and the slow flickers of the sun, cant explain all that warming.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Oct. 14 2004,3:11)]No spec altough i agree with you often i disagree with you on this.

For centuries wev been clearing forests and burning coal, gas, and oil into the atmosphere faster than the plants and oceans can soak them up. And as more plants dissapeir under pavement and die from desertfication, this will decrese each year.

Human activity almost certainly drove most of the peast centurie's warming, a landmark report from the United Nations Intervovermental Panel on Global climate change announced in 2001. Global temperatures are shooting up faster than any time in the past thousand years. And climate models show that natural forces, such as volcanic eruptions and the slow flickers of the sun, cant explain all that warming.
UHM.... and where does coal come from? PLANTS! that means that that same material was in the atmosphere at SOME time...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And as more plants dissapeir under pavement and die from desertfication

would you re-phrase that?

What humans burn is nothing compared to the damage wildfires cause every year... but i recently heard that 1,000,000 acers of forest land is cleared every day in russia, which is unfortunate, but has nothing to do with global warming (this is wood for houses we're talkin about here, not for burning)

I highly doubt human activity is what is causing the warming... Actually it has been proven that natural forces could do all that. Show me the climate models that prove it wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]UHM.... and where does coal come from? PLANTS! that means that that same material was in the atmosphere at SOME time...
not all at the same tiime

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I highly doubt human activity is what is causing the warming... Actually it has been proven that natural forces could do all that. Show me the climate models that prove it wrong

United Nations climate modles. show me the ones that prove natural forces can doo all that. you cant just say that humans have no impact: the evedence is everyehere

Uhm... Man contributes about 7 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere every year... Nature contributes a mere 200 billion tons.

Back