What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hole in the ozone!

Would a mod please lock this thread? This has gone a little too far. I have no idea what the arguments are about now. X_X I'm not blaming anyone I just don't like it when my threads go insane. LOL

people, we must not degrade ourselves by our constant bickering

And while yes the climate has changed in the past dramaticly, this time around its not the same! we dont know what will happen when we thrw human influence into the mix. And humans are causing the mass extinction this tome, not asteroids and volcanoes. Spec there is sientific evedence for both sides.

ok my next reply will ba a few miniuits coming but...

Well as far as I'm concerned the general forum is for debating and whatnot but I think it's gone a little far. Once again I'm NOT BLAMING ANYONE. I just feel guilty about starting this thread. x_x

(sigh)

Ok heres my sources

" there is new and stronger evedence that most of the warming observed in over the past 50 yearsis atribbuted to human activities" concludes climate change 2001, the third assesment report of tge Inter Govermental Panel on Global Cimate change, established by the World Meteorological Orginization and the United Nations Enviormental programme. the report represents some 1,300 authors and 1,200 expert reveiwers and editors, plus 100 national goverments. similar conclusions were reached by a 2001 U.S National Reserch Council panel and U.S. Climate Action Report 2002, a multiagency project that Secritary of State Colin Powell submitted to the UN

where can i get that finch? any links? id like to read it myself

lmao, it seems that everyon wants threads locked that the three of us participate in lately
smile.gif

Shure spec check (heh that rhyms) I quoted that from the August 2004 issue of the Smithsonin magazine (ever hear of the smithsonian institute? it has a magazine too) in the article on the front page called TUVALU, that sinking feeling page 49

whah? i happened to have it out at the time.

im sorry to say, its not something you can refrence quickly. But thats where i got it from.

I think it is cabin fever! Go outside for five minutes and breath the clean air...because come Holloween the time changes. It is good to disagree and it is good to shut up sometimes to keep the peace.
smile_m_32.gif

has anyone of you heard of a good scientific paper containing:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are responsible to be good stewards of the planet God has given us
confused.gif

what kind of sientist publishes that?
is the textbook a religious one? or do you go to a religious school?
sure, I've seen scientific textbooks talking about religion, but not HAVING one.
about the chlorine....
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While it is true that volcanoes and oceans release large amounts of chlorine, the chlorine from these sources dissolves in water so it washes out of the lower atmosphere in the rain. CFCs do not dissolve in water and are not broken down in the lower atmosphere. Human-made molecules reach the stratosphere and then release chlorine and bromin. CFCs are very stable chemicals that do not break down in the lower atmosphere. When released, they drift up into the stratosphere where they are broken down by ultraviolet radiation. This again releases the chlorine that destroys ozone. A single atom of chlorine can destroy 100,000 or more molecules of ozone.Measurements show that the increase in stratospheric chlorine since 1985 matches the amount of CFCs and other ozone- depleting substances released by human activities.
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/maple/784/ozone.htm
now... ok, that site also says that the ozone hole doesn't cause global warming. ok I was wrong. you CAN change MY mind with facts.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Scientists have determined that chlorine molecules released from the decomposition of chlorofluorocarbons are primarily responsible for ozone destruction in the stratosphere.
CFC's:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Artificially created gas.
Enhances the Earth's greenhouse effect, and creates ozone depletion in the stratosphere.
Very strong greenhouse gas.
Residence time 60-100 years.
.....Surface ozone is produced as an artificial by-product of photochemical smog, and is hazardous to human health.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N20 - nitrous oxide
Natural component of the Earth's atmosphere.
Important in the greenhouse effect and causes nitrogen loading.
Human inputs 6 million tons per year, and 19 million tons per year by nature.
Residence time in the atmosphere about 170 years.
1700 (285 parts per billion), 1990 (310 parts per billion), 2030 (340 parts per billion).
Comes from nitrogen based fertilizers, deforestation, and biomass burning.
http://royal.okanagan.bc.ca/mpidwir....te.html

less respect for your textbook. They hide facts from you. it's not just one thing. sure, maybe nature releases chlorine into the air, but it's dissolved in rain and it never reaches the stratosphere.
sure, CO2 is released by all organisms and the addition rate of humans isn't that big compared to nature, BUT humans are not only adding CO2, but PREVENGING it being converted into O2!! and sure, wildfires are natural (and essential to many habitats), but when humans came, we messed up everything and it's BECAUSE OF US that there are more, harsher wildfires.
so by adding all that, the CO2 level rising is NOT because of nature but because of human activities.
and it's not just one gas. it's MANY gases we release that contribute to global warming. and MANY things we do. you cannot just hide facts about some things and completely ignore the rest of the things.
and there are more facts. I recomend you go and read them becuse I don't want to be posting so much (too late eh?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Go outside for five minutes and breath the clean air
you can't do that in many places... because of humans!

this is not just something to be taken lightly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spectabilis73 @ Oct. 13 2004,2:00)]The size of the ozone hole was never a big deal... the ozone hole will never completely close, nor will it completely... uhm.... open :p But last years hole didnt have much of an impact on the environment. The ozone hole is nothing to worry about right now.
smile.gif
I compltely disagree.
An ozone hole means that the powerful ultraviolet rays to get through.
The result:

Antarctica is slowly compltely melting away.
Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.

I hate multiple posts but...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
In the stratosphere, ozone is created primarily by ultraviolet radiation. When high-energy ultraviolet rays strike ordinary oxygen molecules (O2), they split the molecule into two single oxygen atoms, known as atomic oxygen. A freed oxygen atom then combines with another oxygen molecule to form a molecule of ozone. There is so much oxygen in our atmosphere, that these high-energy ultraviolet rays are completely absorbed in the stratosphere.
and when you ADD oxygen-depleting chemicals AND kill photosynthetic organisms, you have things taking out O3 WHILE other thigns are preventing the formation of O3!!!
that's from: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Library/Ozone/ozone_2.html
as are these:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Over the Earth's lifetime, natural processes have regulated the balance of ozone in the stratosphere. A simple way to understand the ozone balance is to think of a leaky bucket. As long as water is poured into the bucket at the same rate that water is leaking out, the amount or level of water in the bucket will remain the same. Likewise, as long as ozone is being created at the same rate that it is being destroyed, the total amount of ozone will remain the same.
BIG picture!!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Starting in the early 1970's, however, scientists found evidence that human activities were disrupting the ozone balance. Human production of chlorine-containing chemicals such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) has added an additional factor that destroys ozone. CFCs are compounds made up of chlorine, fluorine and carbon bound together. Because they are extremely stable molecules, CFCs do not react easily with other chemicals in the lower atmosphere. One of the few forces that can break up CFC molecules is ultraviolet radiation. In the lower atmosphere, CFCs are protected from ultraviolet radiation by the ozone layer itself. CFC molecules thus are able to migrate intact up into the stratosphere. Although the CFC molecules are heavier than air, the air currents and mixing processes of the atmosphere carry them into the stratosphere.

Yea, I'm sorta late coming into this, and truthfully I heven't read the topic.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]has anyone of you heard of a good scientific paper containing:
We are responsible to be good stewards of the planet God has given us
confused.gif

what kind of sientist publishes that?
is the textbook a religious one? or do you go to a religious school?
sure, I've seen scientific textbooks talking about religion, but not HAVING one.

There are plenty of them out there, you just wouldn't agree with them, because that is not what you believe, just like "religious" people don't agree with what you do or don't believe(I personally don't really care either which way).

About the Ozone Hole:
It is not much of a worry, it fluctautes from year to year, and yes the majority of the gasses that deplete it, don't even reach it. The more important issue is actually water polltuion. You hear of more instances(at least I do) of water poisoning than you do of air poisoning/skin cancer. I'll add more if needed, right now, I gotta get some school work done.:p

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and truthfully I heven't read the topic.  
I suggest you read it... we've already adressed what you have to say.

you've only given me one reference... a textbook I cannot read and that talks about religion along with science and hides facts. I've given you plenty that you can read. not enough? here's another one.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Second, researchers have measured nearly all known gases containing chlorine in the stratosphere. They have found that the emissions of the human-produced halocarbons, plus the much smaller contribution from natural sources, could account for all of the stratospheric chlorine. Third, the increase in total stratospheric chlorine measured between 1980 and 1998 corresponds to the known increases in concentrations of human-produced halocarbons during that time
http://www.greennature.com/article1091.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Oct. 14 2004,8:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
very true! even right now, polar bears and other animals are having that problem!
and photosynthetic plankton LOVES cool temperatures. There are HUGE algal blooms near artantica which brings in krill which in turn is eaten by whales. if it's hotter, there won't be as much photosynthetic plankton which MAKES oxygen and is food for many many many things.
uhhhh! Polar bears live in the northern latitudes!

True, CFC's CAN cause enhance the greenhouse effect, BUT we're talking about the ozone layer here, correct??
confused.gif

I'm kinda lost...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] compltely disagree.
An ozone hole means that the powerful ultraviolet rays to get through.
The result:

Antarctica is slowly compltely melting away.
Many more chunks of ice are breaking off and as these too melt, the worlds oceans are slowly rising.
It also means destruction of habitats for animals int he arctis region such as penguins.
Dino you don't even know what UV rays are, they don't cause heat... even thealphawolf has to agree with me on THAT!

And Wolf, many of the great scientists were creation scientists...

I would also like to add this:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them.

That is completely true and you're doing it right now AlphaWolf
smile.gif

As for the textbook, its because I go to a religious school.

Back