What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alba or albino?

Hi,
Me and my friend(whos an orchid grower) thinks the name alba is right and the name Albino is wrong.
And I have seen people like Tamlin post that albino is correct, Alba is NOT, but everyone says alba, but technicily speaking, its wrong.
So who IS right?
confused.gif

The publishing author decides the name for a cultivar, so he is the one who is right. In this case Peter D'Amato published this name as Drosera capensis 'Albino'. Peter was unable to use the circulating name "alba" since this is a Latinization which are reserved for publication at a higher rank (as well as being used for another species: Drosera alba), so he selected 'Albino' by default. To be botanically corrct according to ICBN rules, the name of this plant is formally Drosera capensis 'Albino'. Note that legitimate cultivars are always capitalized and in single quotes.

'alba' is latin for white

hmmm. I believe albino is the way you say it, I also heard dente is really dentate but some scientists misspelled it, lol oh well

Then what is the difference between Drosera Capensis Alba and Drosera Capensis 'Albino'?

PS : Tamlin, did you receive my last PM after all?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sszvein @ Oct. 15 2004,9:44)]Then what is the difference between Drosera Capensis Alba and Drosera Capensis 'Albino'?
The short answer is that both names are incorrect. The correct name is Drosera 'Albino' -- a registered cultivar name for a D. capensis with white flowers and a lack of red in the leaves and tentacles. Also note the cultivar name was established by Borret & Farrow, not D'Amato.

Here is what the ICPS Database says

N: $[Drosera ' Albino ' {Borret & Farrow}]
P: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
B: R.Borret, Oxford; N.Farrow, Felixstowe, Suffolk, early 1988
Nominant: R.Borret & N.Farrow
Description: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)

N: ~[Drosera capensis {L.} var.alba {D'Amato}]nom.nud.
P: Savage Garden:129 (1998)
S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Oct. 15 2004,1:34)]interesting, so they are 2 different cultivars?
No. They are probably referring to the same.The name D. 'Albino' was deemed acceptable. Note ~[Drosera capensis {L.} var.alba {D'Amato}]nom.nud. In the database, + = valid name; ~ = invalid name. And, nom.nud. = "Nomen nudum" (literally "naked name" no description and/or no type).

The world albino has its roots in the latin word 'alba' or 'white'

The term albino isn't generally used for plants, unless somebody registers a cultivar called 'Albino'. Anthocyanin free plants should be called all green or anthocyanin free, unless the term forma heterophylla has been registered.
As talked about in the Schnell's Ghost thread in the sarra forum, very white topped, yellow flowered, green or red ultra fine veined leucophyllas are known as alba, although I don't know what kind of status this term has. Pale drosera capensis varieties are called variety alba, which is a correct term I believe.

Ahhh. Thanks for the correction Bob, I have ammended my brain.

Sszvein,

errr, I don't know. I answered what I believe was your last, but my account is very full. Please resend the email and I will attend to it.

Lol, good thing I saved it then =). ...Tell me I DID save it as I always do...

Back