What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone
Well I took the digital camera out to Tamarisk Nurseries today, which is only 8 miles south from my house. I feel lucky to have such a nursery so near to home. I would've taken more pictures of other plants (tsillandias and the multitude of cacti), but the memory stick was only 64mb and had other stuff on it my sister believes is important. Anyway, here are the pics (they might be a bit big)...

445Tamarisk_Nurseries.JPG

These are the greenhouses that house cacti, succulents, Tsillandias and of course, CP. That shaded section is the outdoor CP propagation area:

445Outdoor_CP.JPG

There were lots of plants here, most of them going into dormancy, ranging from VFTs to masses of Darlingtonia (hiddenin this pic).

445Entry.JPG

At the entrance, looking straight ahead into the first greenhouse which mainly consists of Tillandsias, bromeliads, and the Pings.

445Pinguicula_Hans_whole.JPG

A garden bowl of Pinguicula 'Hans' (aka 'Gina', 'Tina'). I have two of these large plants at home, where they exhibit similar flowering vigour.

445P_Hans_size.JPG

These are very large plants! My hands are just over 8" long.

445CP_Bench.JPG

Cp growing happily alongside succulents. Most of the CP offered at Tamarisk's are Sarracenia. The man in the reddish sweater is Alan, the owner and curator of the nurseries (not a very good pic of him, unfortunately).

445Sarracenia_Hybrid_Soper_.JPG

I fell in love with this hybrid. I don't quite remember the whole name, but I know it has something to do with 'Soper', which I'm pretty sure refers to Mr. Matthew Soper of Hampshire Carnivorous Plants.
A closeup of the nicest pitcher:
445S_Hybrid_Soper_pitcher.JPG

445D_slackii.JPG

One of my favourite Sundews, Drosera slackii. These plants had just finished flowering and setting seed (I don't know whether they were viable though), and have a diameter of approximately 3".

445U_longifolia_whole.JPG

A very nice U. longifolia. I had never ever witnessed this species' inflorescence so I took advantage:

(To be continued...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Tamarisk Nurseries

Tamerisks are a incredebly invasive species that spreads rapidly, is virtyally impossible to kill and eradicate(they tried everything)

And its not enough to kill a Tamarisk but you have to plant something in its place or else it will return.

Anyway, nice pics!

A truly aswome place

Cotinued....

445U_longifolia_flowers.JPG

The colour is more intense in real life, but let's cope with this pic.

445Sarracenia_going_dormant.JPG

A lot of Sarracenia getting ready for dormancy. Among these were about 4 or 5 garden bowls like this:
445S_purpurea_ssp_venosa.JPG

Not at their prettiest, but still impressive due to the size of the pitchers and the clumps.

In the furthest part of the greenhouse is where most of the cacti for sale are. Here is a partial view:
445Cacti-Succulents_View.JPG

An eye-catcher:
445Succulent_flowers_.JPG

And Lophophora williamsii for sale:
445Lophophora_williamsii.JPG

Not something you see often, if at all, whilst in the U.S. (they're legal in the U.K. if they are fresh material). Many of these plants had finished flowering and were producing seed.

Hopefully I'll be able to help out here in the busier months, which should keep me busy and out of mischief!

Thank you Alan for giving me permission to take photos of your marvelous nursery!

I hope you liked!

Amori

HOLY COW that ping is HUGE! I wish I could go there.

[/QUOTE]One of my favourite Sundews, Drosera slackii
Mine too!! and i se some itty bitty d capenses in the pot too

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mine too!! and i se some itty bitty d capenses in the pot too
Oh, mind you, they are everywhere! I had to pull out about 100 of them of all sizes from my D. slackii's and D. 'Marston Dragon''s containers I bought last week. Volunteers are nice sometimes though when most of your collection hasn't germinated yet.:D

Amori

it must be great to live so close to such a great nursery, anyway im saving for a trip to cal carnivores, with me and my friend jeremiah, so i cant complain
smile_n_32.gif

Back