What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would like a list of cp's indigenous to ne il

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
I am interested in compiling a list of CPs that would be native to within a 200 mile radius of where I reside. Would any one be in a position to help me do so?  I reside in Lake County Illinois which would be the northeast portion of the state right smack dab next to the Wisconsin border.  Any links most appreciated.
Thank you.

Moving to General discussion since this may encompass multiple genera.

Heres a website  with information,just do a google search.

Jerry

Off the top of my head, I would say that S. purpurea, and maybe D.rutundifolia. You probably have a few different Bladderworts too.

Yes, I had found the Cook County Forest Preserve site.  They referenced the existence of CPs and butterworts in general.  Most unfortunately, no specific species were identified.  I also found information in the Volo Bog site in McHenry County and again, no specific species were listed.  This appears to be par for course. For some reason, species are not identified.  I am not all that familiar with CPs.  If I know the specific botanical name, I can look it up and determine native range. Problem is the botanical names of what is growing in and around my area appear to be some sort of a closely held secret.

Thank you Ozzy,
both S. purpurea and D.rutundifolia are in my native range. I will check on the bladderworts.  So far I have identified 2 Butterworts (P. villosa, P. vulgaris) within my native range. Thank you very much, Laura

Look up Sarracenia for pitcher plants, Drosera for sundews, Utricularia for baldderworts and Pinguicula for butterworts.
If you have any butterworts, I would say it would be P.vulgaris, it's range stops in northern Wis.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

OK Ozzy- I should be fine now that I've been steered in the right direction.  I have found that Drosera intermedia is native to Illinois. I also found your suggestion to check on Bladderworts to have yielded the bumper crop as pertains to nativity. Utricularia cornuta, U. gibba, U. intermedia, U. macrorhiza, and U. minor are all natives to my region. U. resupinata, the most beautiful of the lot, is within a 100 mile radius.  Think I'll go look up some more Droseras and more Sarracenias.  I additionally did a basic search in insectivorous plants of IL as well as carnivorous plants of Illinois and that should help me identify pretty much everything except Saracenias.  If anyone else has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.  Thanks

D.intermedia grows just south of you from the In. line northward a few miles. I'm sorry I didn't mention it before but for some reason I was thinking you said you were in the NW corner. Also the D.rotundifolia is growing all around you.

Thank you!

I did some more checking on the U. resupinata and that is the one I want to try over here by me next year. Really neat plant.  

The D.intermedia and the D.rotundifolia are on my wish list!

Laura,
It doesnt have to be plants that live close to you.
There are lots of very hardy plants that will take your climate.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The D.intermedia and the D.rotundifolia are on my wish list!

Well, I'll send you some assorted sundews. I'll take a look in my bog and see what I can send. I'll probably send D.intermedia, D.capillaris and maybe D.capensis.

Hi Ozzy, extremely generous of you to offer to send plants. I am not in a position to accept any plants right now but I would like to continue to drain your brain of information so that I am better prepared to protect and care for CPs next spring if that's ok with you ;) Again, I thank you for such a sweet offer. Very Sincerely, Laura

NP, Look me up in the spring and I'll send what I have to send.
You can drain my brain all you want but I don't think you'll get much more than some lint.

Oh I so love draining brains!  Should have started a few months ago though!  Would have saved a considerable amount of time and energy!

6b807ccd.gif

you can drain some of my brain, but leave the part thats necessary for vital functions (breathing, playing halo, eating)
biggrin.gif
. I know d. intermedia and d. rotundifolia live up here in new york, where it gets pretty cold. as for pings, look up the temperate species.

Oh wow! This is all too exciting! Another male brain for me to drain! Cool.

Is there any type of an insectivorous plant or CP survey out there of plants growing in natural communities in NW Indiana as well as in SE Wisconsin?

I will be posting a few new threads this weekend regarding lighting and air circulation as well as growing medium but need a chance to search here to see if my questions are already answered.

From the plants database website; http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/topics.cgi?earl=dl_state.html . Listed in Illinois but isn't specific to northeastern IL. They didn't list any Pinguicula although they do show them farther north in wisconsin

"Symbol","Scientific name","Common name/Accepted name (for synonyms)","Family"

"DRIN3","Drosera intermedia Hayne","spoonleaf sundew","Droseraceae"
"DRROR","Drosera rotundifolia L. var. rotundifolia","roundleaf sundew","Droseraceae"
"DRRO","Drosera rotundifolia L.","roundleaf sundew","Droseraceae"
"DROSE","Drosera L.","sundew","Droseraceae"

"SAHE5","Sarracenia heterophylla Eat.",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. gibbosa","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUG","Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp. gibbosa (Raf.) Wherry","purple pitcherplant","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUH","Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp. heterophylla (Eat.) Torr.",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. gibbosa","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUP6","Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp. purpurea var. purpurea","purple pitcherplant","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUP3","Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp. purpurea","purple pitcherplant","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUV2","Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp. venosa (Raf.) Wherry",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea var. purpurea","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUR","Sarracenia purpurea L. var. ripicola Boivin",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. gibbosa","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUS","Sarracenia purpurea L. var. stolonifera Macfarlane & D.W. Steckbeck",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. gibbosa","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUT","Sarracenia purpurea L. var. terrae-novae La Pylaie",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. gibbosa","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPUV","Sarracenia purpurea L. var. venosa (Raf.) Fern.",">>Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea var. purpurea","Sarraceniaceae"
"SAPU4","Sarracenia purpurea L.","purple pitcherplant","Sarraceniaceae"
"SARRA","Sarracenia L.","pitcherplant","Sarraceniaceae"

"UTBI","Utricularia biflora Lam.",">>Utricularia gibba","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTCO","Utricularia cornuta Michx.","horned bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTFI","Utricularia fibrosa Walt.",">>Utricularia gibba","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTGI","Utricularia gibba L.","humped bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTIN2","Utricularia intermedia Hayne","flatleaf bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTMA","Utricularia macrorhiza Le Conte","common bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTMI","Utricularia minor L.","lesser bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTOB","Utricularia obtusa Sw.",">>Utricularia gibba","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTOC2","Utricularia occidentalis Gray",">>Utricularia ochroleuca","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTOC","Utricularia ochroleuca R.W. Hartman","yellowishwhite bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTPU3","Utricularia pumila Walt.",">>Utricularia gibba","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTPU","Utricularia purpurea Walt.","eastern purple bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTVUM","Utricularia vulgaris L. ssp. macrorhiza (Le Conte) Clausen",">>Utricularia macrorhiza","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTVUA","Utricularia vulgaris L. var. americana Gray",">>Utricularia macrorhiza","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTVU","Utricularia vulgaris L. p.p.",">>Utricularia macrorhiza","Lentibulariaceae"
"UTRIC","Utricularia L.","bladderwort","Lentibulariaceae"

Wow, thank you.  I had found that site just yesterday!  Where were you last week- just teasing.  One issue with the list... Illinois is almost 300 miles long. It runs from a zone 5a/4b all the way down to a 6b/7a.  Creates a logistical nightmare for poor people like me trying to figure out what belongs where.  I have been systematically looking up each and every plant you listed and am trying to whittle down that list to what is indigenous to me specifically.  Additionally, I found a research station the next county over about 25 miles west of me that has new blood there.  They are beginning to go back through old documents and are feverishly sorting.  I am thinking a few visits there this coming spring and I may get the bumper crop of information.  I was lucky and a man named Barry contacted me. He provided me with a list of plants I bleieve he had actually seen growing in my area. I was able to add one to my list that doesn't even appear on my list but did appear in a spattering of records from SE Wisconsin.  Given I am one mile from the WI border and only 20-25 miles from where that plant had been, it is not inconceivable that this plant was once here.  That was exciting to me.  Oh my, simple pleasures for simple minds!  I am saddened my County appears to have so few records.  Thanks for posting the link. I sure do wish I could find links specific to Lake County Illinois or Kenosha County Wisconsin.  The search is on!

Back