What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't i

• Thread starter CNCreefer
  • Start date
Why?
Sorry, that is not a valid file extension
maybe a mod or someone can tell me why I can't upload this avatar.

The URL you have listed for your avatar is wrong.
The proper url is
h ttp://www.rontech.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/images/sanguinea_avatar.jpg
(I put a space between the h and t so you could read the url without the board turning it into a link)

Tony

I decided not to use that URL because they won't let me link to it.
I tried this one. it will let me link to it.
h ttp://members.cox.net/rontech/sanguinea%20avatar.JPG
and it didn't work either.

You didn't capitalize JPG when you put it in. Links are usuallycase sensitive.

Someone lose this:
sanguinea%20avatar.JPG
?? Found it laying around here in cyber space and though it might belong to someone here.......
smile_l_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

h ttp://members.cox.net/rontech/sanguinea%20avatar.JPG doesn't work because of the space between the "h" and the "t" in "http"

Actually it's not working because the file is named sanguinea%20avatar.JPG

in his avatar line he has it named sanquinea%20avatar.jpg
The space was there in the post just so we could see the line without it turning into a link by the board.

As Pat mentioned, it's case sensitive.

Well you know what they say.....3rd times the charm.
Let's try this again.....
EDIT: I tried uploading the URL like this:
h ttp://members.cox.net/rontech/sanguinea%20avatar.JPG
but without the space between the h and t.
it didn't work, said it's not a valid extension.
Does the %20 have to be there? I guess so.

its because there is a blank space in the filename..
blanks are bad..
instead of:

sanguinea avatar.JPG

name it:

sanguinea-avatar.JPG
or
sanguinea_avatar.JPG
or
sanguineaavatar.JPG

use only letters, numbers, underscores or dashes in filenames..
no funky characters like @#$%^&*,
and no blank spaces..
try re-naming it without the blank and I bet it will work..
Scot

Not sure what you mean by uploading.. The file is already uploaded to members.cox.net/rontech.

Go into your control panel
Then to personal info.
Towards the bottom there is a line there that says Your Avatar.  In that space make sure it has the following:

http://members.cox.net/rontech/sanguinea%20avatar.JPG

Exactly like that..Then click on Add my own image to save it.

Tony

I have done exactly that.....about 20 times. It just ain't gonna work
I renamed it like this....
http://members.cox.net/rontech/sanguinea_avatar.JPG.....
and re uploaded it. Again.
Still didn't work.
There are no spaces, nothing. Do I have to rename it AGAIN and upload it to the server AGAIN???
I have a bunch of pics that I uploaded to the PFT website. I have avatars on other boards. They all work. This site is the only one giving me problems. i am getting very frustrated with it. Very quick.

well.. you did something because the file isn't on cox.net.. or their webserver is down now. Maybe you should rename the file with lowercase jpg and reupload to cox.net? Then it will match what is in your control panel

Looks like the board wont accept a file extension in caps. You need to figure out why your file has the JPG in Caps instead of lowercase.

Is the file in lowercase on your computer but getting changed to caps when you upload it to Cox.net? OR is it being saved with the file extension in caps and then just getting carried through like that when uploaded?

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why does your file keep coming up with capital JPG when you upload it?
I really do not know. When I save a pic as a jpg it automatically puts JPG on the end. All jpg files on this computer are JPG. I haven't figured out how to rename it in lower case. I don't know if it is even possible. GRRRR

Must be something your software is doing when you save the file.

Are you using Windows?
If you are.. go to Windows Explorer. Find the folder that has the files. Are the file names with extensions showing?
If yes. continue
Find the file you want to rename and highlight it. Then at the top ..File, scroll down to Rename. You should be able to rename it along with making the extension lowercase.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Are the file names with extensions showing?
Only the name of the file without the extension shows.
I can rename the file but not the ext.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Looks like the board wont accept a file extension in caps.
Then why can I upload pics with JPG? All the pics that I posted here are JPG not jpg.

Linking into the message to show a photo is not the same. I don't know why the software wont accept an avatar link with a capital file extension.

Go back into the Windows Explorer. Open Tools then Folder Options. Hit the tab that says View.
Find the line that says Hide extensions for known files and uncheck the box, then hit apply.

Ok, I did that and that did the trick. I forgot all about the folder options. I now have the avatar.

Thanks for all the help.

Back