What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water distiller for cheap

This distiller does a gallon of water every 5 hours. Only $99. I guess it makes up for itself after 50-100 gallons depending on how much you pay for your distilled water. This distiller puts out water with a 0 on the TDS meter (total disolved solids), the lower the better when it comes to CP's and it doesn't get much lower than that.

Distiller

Yeah, but when it comes to purity distilled is the way to go. It filters + distills.

Distillers are mostly cheap becuase all they are is a mostly glass tubing. The expensive part about them is the energy required to boil the water. You may not think about it, but a propane burner or a hot plate on the resevoir constantly will add up, plus you need to mkae sure it doesn't burn dry. RO may be a little more "less" pure water but you never have to worry about it burning up or energy, it uses the water pressure.

EDIT:

Dave, I think that RO unit is WAAAAAAAY overkill. 6 stage plus DI? WOW way too much stuff, you might as well be filtering mud if you need that! lol

Amateur Expert: CP's hardly notice that distilled is better than RO. The only reason Distilled water is out there is for laboratory use, where 0 conductivity is needed for precise experiments.

We upgraded from distilled to RO when I worked in a lab in the 80s.  Running the still was a little tricky and not just because you had to be careful not to run it dry.  It was surprising how much stuff carried through the still, especially if we let it boil a little too hard.  Our RO unit needed pricey resins and it didn't produce a huge amount of water, but it was better water.  But I'm a low tech guy and thought we should have just bought a second still and just distill the stuff a second time.  But we were aiming for water far more pure than what any CP cares about.

Back