What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will americans flock to canada?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
buster i was basing my opinion do to a friend of mine who moved from Jacksonville back up here about 2 years ago. her two kids were about 18 months behind my fiance's kids here in the same grades. she told me her kids were attending a decent school and was quite sure the schools up here were MUCH better. granted her kids are quite bright and got caught up in little time. this was not a generalization it was what i knew to be FACT. BTW what science to you teach out of curiosity

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You think that the balance of power between rural and metro areas is off kilter because you didnt like the outcome of the election. If everyone in a rural area voted bush and everyone in a metro area voted Kerry as you seem to think, then obviously there are more people that live in rural areas giving them the majority. Thats how our system works, we elect the person that the majority votes for. And your statement that rural areas means uneducated and metro means educated is well wrong. There is no way you can make a generalization like that. And in fact the larger concentrations of people on welfare and people that dont graduate come from inner cities - your metro.

Well, actually I'd say the same thing even if the election came out for Kerry, because I do believe the balance of power is widening too far. Its not just the presidency that's the issue as well, its the senate and house too.

Also, the system does not work based on majority vote, its based on state electoral votes. For example, if Ohio went for Kerry, he'd be president elect right now, even though Bush still would've had a 3 million vote popular vote lead.

I wasn't generalizing that all metropolitan areas are bastions of education and all rural areas are hodunk farms where people still count with their hands, I was just comparing the average education quotient of the two. Its a known fact that metropolitan areas have more high school and college graduates, and that the educational quality of those schools is generally better (except for some god awful public schools) due to the extra resources they're afforded that rural areas don't have.

Regarding welfare, while metro areas definetely have their fair share of people on it, the amount of welfare clients for rural areas in the south and midwest has continuously risen due to the large job losses related to industrial outsourcing, lack of commercial growth in smaller areas, and immigrants, primarily those from Mexico, who are unable to find steady jobs that pay higher than minimum wage.

And finally, not all metro areas went Kerry and not all rural areas when Bush, but there was a pretty large majority, particularly in the North East, and my home state of Nevada.

all metropolitan voting Kerry is a generalization. last i saw San Diego went Bush but that may have been before final talley

Rattler, I wasn't commenting on your education statement- I was just commenting on all of the generalizations that people have been posting. I teach biology in our school's International Baccalaureate program and zoology.

bio- and zoology......fun stuff. i had a hard time with chemestry, the math there is funky but i had no problems with some of the tough calculus equations and such. always made me mad i had such a terrible time with chem.

i know im going to have a bad time in chem so im not taking it, although i know i should.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, actually I'd say the same thing even if the election came out for Kerry, because I do believe the balance of power is widening too far. Its not just the presidency that's the issue as well, its the senate and house too.
 I think part of why is because its not widening in your favor. There have been even bigger majorities in the past of democrats and republicans alike (its called the changing values of DEMOCROCY)

Infact speaking of democricY (demicri, dimocra...

Di ... diiiiiii de demora-
Mocracy? mOcrIcY?)

*looks it up*

DEMOCRACY!

Im planing to Do a timeline of DEMOCRACY as my sig- every week will go up a noch to the next date on the timetable- Starting now

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think part of why is because its not widening in your favor. There have been even bigger majorities in the past of democrats and republicans alike (its called the changing values of DEMOCROCY)

I very much believe in balance of power. The country has always flourished more when Dems and Reps are on close to equal footing, much like it was in the Clinton years. In times when one side controlled too much, like the Republican majority we have now for everything, and the Democratic majority for everything we had back in the early to late 60's, the deficit grew and things just got out of hand. So yeah, balance is good.

I won't flee to Canada, but i have a friend who is getting shipped off to Ireland.

Back