What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will americans flock to canada?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
Canada actually said it welcomes immigrants (read the article) and it is very possible to move to another country.. just requires piles and piles of paperwork.. my best friend and her baby just became Scottish citizens.. I'm begining to envy them ;)

Canada has a test you can take to see if you can immigrate as a skilled worker. Oddly enough, it doesn't ask you to use Eh? in a sentence or to translate "oot in a boot".

I think all of you people are hilarous. You act like this is the first time there has ever been an president that has divided this country. If you believe that look at your penny, there have been many more presidents that have created more of a divided nation than bush. To all of you who are trying to make it look like bush's fault, i never heard Kerry say he was going to pull all of the troop out of Iraq as soon as he was in office, so what would he have helped. And all of you people worried about a draft, think about who the majority of the voting population is. They all grew up during Vietnam, do you really think they will stand for a draft, if someone proposed a draft i have a feeling there would be a very quick recall election. And you are all worried about people moving to Canada, when i know so many Canadians who wish they could live in the United States, so if you want to leave fine, change places with someone who would like to live here and make everyone happy.

Yes other countries have immigration laws just like the US. A guy I used to work with was trying to secure a work visa to move to Iceland just as a way to travel and see the world. He'd worked in a dutch coffee shop, english train station, etc. but Iceland refused him since he simply wanted to move there and look for work. In the case of Holland and the UK he was already there traveling and got the jobs before he asked for the visa.

I repeat, there's no reason to move, you are supposedly allowed to have a dissident opinion in the USA and not be prosecuted for it. Whether the policies follow the principles is a different story though... I've been arrested at many different demonstrations in my early years. If a draft happens, the borders will be sealed to anyone of draft age, you'll be arrested at the border, so you'll need to use more underground means to leave the country.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Nov. 05 2004,6:52)]I hope they do all move to Canada..
would be a very good thing for the USA.
Scot
I really, really hate it when people say this. I don't care what your ideals are, but when you think getting rid of all the people who disagree with you is good for your country, you're welcoming stagnation and killing democracy. Simple as that.

That said, I also think its horrible that all these people are leaving to Canada and other countries. That's just cowardly and stupid. How in the hell are we ever going to fight the good fight against Bush and his cronies if we all just up and leave?

That also said, the fact that rural, rather uneducated, mostly backwater counties in most states dictate the government we elect, even though they don't pay nearly as much in taxes as large cities, and in fact rely heavily on welfare in certain areas, disturbs the hell out of me, with Nevada and Ohio being prime examples.

I think I would becareful with your statements, I am smelling an edit.

Well, I didn't make that statement in an effort to insult Southerners, or state that they don't deserve any power when it comes to electing government. I just think that the balance of power between rural areas and metropolis areas is off kilter.

Also, I'm not trying to say that Red states, and conservatives in general are stupid (dumb people wouldn't get control of the presidency, house, AND senate), but it is a fact that they're generally located in areas that don't have as high an education quotient compared to areas that do, most of which came out Blue.

Regarding welfare and federal taxes...well...its simple truth based on what I know. From the statistics I've seen, states in the midwest and south have a larger number of people on welfare, particularly those bordering Mexico. Also, people from rural areas tend to pay less in federal taxes.

I'm just trying to stir up some more discussion here other than "Bush sucks" or "Liberals should shut up" reactionary stuff. If you think I'm wrong and have some other facts and statistics to counter my points, feel free to post them. You never learn anything new if you never listen to the other side, after all.

I saw a funny story that was on the local news here.  I missed part of it, but basically, it was someone's idea to draw up two new countries.  The Kerry states and Canada are to be called the New United North, while the Bush states are a new country called Jesusland.

There's many things I like about Canada, however, I don't like the tax rate. and it's too cold. i'm cold enough where i'm at.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fygee @ Nov. 09 2004,3:26)]I don't care what your ideals are, but when you think getting rid of all the people who disagree with you is good for your country, you're welcoming stagnation and killing democracy. Simple as that.
Very well said. I believe that's what people like Hitler and Hussein tried to do.

He never said to get rid of everyone who doesnt agree with him.

Maybe he believes, as i do, that if you are irrevernt twords the system of government that we have, which will all people you dont like to get power, then you should leave. Think of all of the people who have died so first you can vote and have a say in your government, and second so that you can express you disenting opinion about what the government does. I do not agree with everything our government does, but i still consider it much better than have any other form of government.

And all of you people who what to leave, what happens when Canada elects someone you dont like, cause they will, that is the negative side of democracy, where will you go then?

Why cant you people reliaze that first, bush is not dictator for life, but some of you are acting like he is, second he is not acting alone, third i havent heard any of you actully trying to do something within the government to prevent that which you dont like.

You think that the balance of power between rural and metro areas is off kilter because you didnt like the outcome of the election. If everyone in a rural area voted bush and everyone in a metro area voted Kerry as you seem to think, then obviously there are more people that live in rural areas giving them the majority. Thats how our system works, we elect the person that the majority votes for. And your statement that rural areas means uneducated and metro means educated is well wrong. There is no way you can make a generalization like that. And in fact the larger concentrations of people on welfare and people that dont graduate come from inner cities - your metro.

No but he said hi wishes they could go away so his party could go about its policies unopposed. Weather or not it should id not the issue, the issue is that he wants them to go away. You cant will away your opponents and, frankly, in my opinion, not right (aka undemokcratic) And if you think the opposing party is irrelevent twards the system of goverment we have, they you do not understand our goverment very well.

and i agree with wolf9striker. Dont make a generalizations like that.

i have no problem with ppl moving to Canada. most of my buddies in Alberta and Saskatchewan want to move down here a trade seems like a good idea
smile_n_32.gif
but in all seriousness if just because who you wanted to be elected didnt is reason enough for you to pick up your bags and leave maybe you should. its a sign that you have completely given up on our system anyways and you might as well try somewhere else. i gave this alot of thought a few years ago as to where i would go if some one like Al Gore or Ted Kennedy or John Kerry got elected. and yah know what? i still couldnt come up with a better place than the USA. Canada, England and Austrailia all have much stricter gun control than the US and unlike those countries i really dont think the vast majority of the nuttier gun ppl such as myself would turn over our rifles reguardless. not to mention some of their other major laws are just plain idiotic. its illegal to defend yourself in Englad?!?! WTF is that? i dont care for the UN and one of the things i do like about Bush is that he has basically given them the finger. its to bad it took the Iraq war for us to do it but its about time someone with power stepped up and did it. i really dont like the fact the high population centers control so much in the rest of the states. i can tell you right now from personal experiance that us backwoods types in rural Montana actually recieved a darn good high school education. far better than schools in Florida(not sure about elsewhere but i know big city Florida for sure and going by the ppl ive seen coming out of highschool in LA and New York ive prolly got a heads up on them too). just remember when your talking about those dumb people in red states your talking about me and several other really good ppl on this forum, some of which do to cooler heads have stayed out of these discutions(to bad im not one of those). the problem is those ppl in the big cities are loosing touch with what americas all about. living: how you wish where you wish. i hope i am never forced to leave my nice backwoods state, the ppl are friendly and willing to help each other out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fygee @ Nov. 08 2004,11:24)]That also said, the fact that rural, rather uneducated, mostly backwater counties in most states dictate the government we elect, even though they don't pay nearly as much in taxes as large cities, and in fact rely heavily on welfare in certain areas, disturbs the hell out of me, with Nevada and Ohio being prime examples.
So obviously you think people who vote Repbulician *in general* are dumber than those who vote Democrat..
I could argue that the opposite is true..
who is better educated, the rich or the poor?
Who is smarter, Doctors or burger flippers?
isnt the Republican party the "party of the Rich"?
and dont the poor overwhemingly vote Democrat?
so..since Rich people are smarter than poor people,
it follows that the majority of Democrats must be dumber than the majority of Republicans..

(btw, im totally kidding about all that, and I dont actually believe that..im just pointing out how...ahem..dumb, Fygee's theorys are..)
Scot

actually if you look at the earnings of the Senators and the Represenatives in the federal government the Democrats make more money than the Republicans......atleast they did this last set. not sure what it will be after this last election

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Nov. 05 2004,5:20)]Politics and parties, suck.
I like parties...
smile_n_32.gif

i just came across this post in another forum i frequent.....i think it sums up what i think fairly well.....(note this is not mine and is edited a bit for content........language rules arent as strict in the other forum)

I think if the blue people would take a deep breath, their color
would return. Perhaps they might also want to take a dispassionate look at their leadership and their minions, and perhaps realize that the anger and discord in this country was created by that leadership, and sown by those minions.

Look at a history book, and the world at large, and realize that
every American enjoys a standard of living that few people in the history of the world have enjoyed. We live in better conditions than royalty did a century ago. We enjoy hygiene, food products and medicines that were unavailable to previous generations, instant communication and rapid transporation, not enjoyed by the majority of the worlds population.

You want fresh fruit, produce, meat or fish from anywhere in the world, well it's available at most supermarkets, if not search the web and have it shipped to your door overnight. You have an infection, go to the doc for an anti-biotic. Are you cold, turn up the heat. You want to get somewhere, hop on your scoot, or in your car, and drive there, or to the airport if it's further. Are you pissed about the guvment, go out and yell it in your town square, post it on your internest sight, e-mail to friends.

We have much to be thankful for, and my take is, a large portion of this country is very, very ungrateful for what it has. They don't realize the freedoms and standard of living they enjoy weren't free, and came at the cost of the blood sweat and tears of countless men and women. Thursday is veterens day, be thankful for what you have, and thank a vet for providing it. My grandfather was a vet in WW I, by father in WW II, and my uncle's remains lie on a volcanic rock by
the name of Iwo Jima in the south pacific.

There are 100's of thousands more like them that made the same sacrifices and greater, all so that future generations could live in a better world. If all we provide for our children is b******* and moaning about how much this country sucks, then we've dropped the torch passed to us to do our job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](btw, im totally kidding about all that, and I dont actually believe that..im just pointing out how...ahem..dumb, Fygee's theorys are..)

Scotty, this is boarderline inflamitory. Please refrain from calling other members, or their statements, "dumb." You could, instead, choose words like incorrect or inaccurate. "Dumb" is just insulting.

I'm going to have to take offense at the high school education in Florida remark. I happen to be a high school science teacher in the state of Florida, and I invite you down anytime to see the rigorous coursework that is given to the students at my school. I think that the generalizations that show up in these threads are starting to border on the absurd.

Back