What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ufos? aliens? et?

I was just wondering. Do you believe that there is extraterrestrial life SOMEWHERE in this universe? Do you believe there is intelligent life somewhere? and/or do you believe they're visiting us? do you think the govt is covering it up?

Yes, I believe there is lots of life out there. The vastness of the universe makes it a likelihood, imo. However I do not believe they have visited, nor the government is covering it up. I don't think they're that competent!

Capslock

Here goes another debate
biggrin.gif
. I do believe there is extraterrestrial life somewhere, whether its bacteria, silicon or some large cloud of matter, there is a very likely chance that they are out their somewhere. But I dont believe the gov is covering anything or are visiting us. There is too little a chance that any advanced race would focus on our planet and visit, and it's just too big a secret to keep hushed up, and will probably leak in a matter of days. Zongyi

this may turn into a debate but I don't see how it could get ugly
smile.gif
... well, now that I think about it... hmmm.., HOPEFULLY it won't :p
I do think there must be life somewhere out there and there's probably very intelligent (and wise... the same can't be said about humans :p) life somewhere too.
I don't see why UFO's would WANT to be discovered though... or want to contact us. and If they came all this way, I bet they would probably be better at hiding themselves.

I was big into astronomy years ago, still like it now. I had a Meade 8" schmidt cassegrain telescope.
You can not tell me that all the galaxies out there in space that this is not some kind of life present.

Life on earth was made possible a serie of fortuitous events, considering the number of planets crowding the universe, mathematically speaking, there are very good chances that such events occured somewhere else.

So there theorically should be life out there.
However, the more we look into it, the less optimistic scientists are becoming on the matter. It would seem that, rather than being the comon rule, the apearance of life seems to be an exception.

WE are extraterrestrial life! Hahah! No really, I don't think we're alone, in my opinion. Anyone who believes in probablility in mathematics would say the same thing I think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the apearance of life seems to be an exception.
Yep, life is a freak accident according to scientists (humans being the freakiest of all).

wow cool
smile.gif
I'm taking astronomy... but we don't really do anything (he he he... we do watch videos like apollo 13 and october sky, contact, etc though)

Actually the more we look into it the more life seems possible in other planets. W/ bacteria that live inside stones and black smokers to snotites and ice worms and crabs/worms/etc. that also live in black smokers and fish and even lizards that live in the caves with the snotites.

You'd be a fool to think that there is now way that other life is possiable in the universe. The most persuavsive proof is us. We exsist, so who's to say that there can't be life elsewhere.
The question if they have visited us is totaly different. I don't know the answer to that. I can say that I have seen things I can't explain. If they were from another planet, I don't know. I was living in the middle of some of the biggest military bases at the time, so I don't know. The best evidence that there is intellegent life out there is that they have stayed far away from us. lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best evidence that there is intellegent life out there is that they have stayed far away from us. lol.
LOL!!! good one!!!
*adds to "my favorite quotes" list*

Evidence of life appears in the oldest rocks that could show it, so maybe life happens pretty readily where conditions favor it.  If intelligent life is ever found anywhere, I hope some of it can be brought here.  We sure need it.

You bet I believe. I don't have hours to go into the depths of my beliefs, but I will say I know what I saw in Massachusetts was no weather balloon.

I once saw this "star" that was just there floating in the sky for like forever so it wasn't any plane or anything. It also changed color from green to blue to yellow to read and sometimes it even looked like two points of light. I never did figure out what it was.

But imagine... Nature is so amazing here... I wonder what it's like in other planets!!!
There could be right now... right this second.... some millions of lightyears away.... millions of totally amazing organisms
wow.

What's weird is the huge amount of UFO sighting among this family in the New England area. I saw one (it was twilight, and it looked exactly like a comet over a mountain valley.. it moved slowly in a clockwise half-circle, then faded away [clear sky, no clouds], then reappeared and disappeared, then I saw a star-looking thing that moved very slowly upward above the treeline, then it stopped, then darted on a dime really fast to the left and disappeared), my third cousin saw one (said it looked like a lighted disk-shaped object that flew across the horizon and disappeared), and my grandmother saw one (said it looked like a star, but it moved to the right a little ways, then instantly back to the left, then back to the right, etc. for a while, then disappeared). Yet the South doesn't have much of a history of it. Food for thought.

When I was in the Navy I was out in the middle of the persian gulf on an aircraft carrier and we were respotting aircraft on the deck at night.
I was looking at the stars and this one caught my attention. It appeared to be moving slowly, I thought it might be a plane from another ship or something. If it was a plane I would guess it was about 40,000 feet up.
Then it took a VERY abrupt 90 degree turn and took off like a bat out of hell. I kept watching it till I couldn't see it anymore.
I know what an F-14 doing Mach 2 at 40,000 feet looks like, and this was moving waaaay faster than that.
I see missile launches occasionally from Edwards AFB, and this was like no missile or rocket I have ever seen also....
To this day I still don't know what it was. HMMMM

TheAlphaWolf, When I was in NC, same only about 90 miles from where you are now I and a whole group of people saw what sounds like the same thing you saw. I saw what look like a star, but it was much brighter. It would grow bigger, smaller or disappear completely in in about 2 seconds. It would change many different colors. It never moved though. It was in the southern sky (I think). It was there for a few weeks. We were told that it was a satellite. That was in 1990.

wow cool!!!.... how the heck do you know I'm 90 miles from where you were? lol... have we traded? I don't think so....
the thing I saw didn't disappear though.

Back