What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight issues with dinitidula x pulchella

The classroom received a gift of 3 Dinitidula x pulchellas.  I think they might be a Drosera. I'm not exactly sure.  I did an Internet search on them and found no information.  Perhaps I have misspelled the word Dinitidula?  I did find information on a D. pulchella.  Either way, the teacher has been gone from the classroom since last Friday morning and will be gone this entire week... the plant babies are mine to care for until next Monday. I need help on the little Dinitidula x pulchellas as two of them are looking dead and the 3rd appears to be rapidly departing this world.  We have them in a mix of 50/50 sphagnum peat and sand.  There are little bits of LFS on the top of the mix around them.  They are in 3.5" pots on drip trays.  The pots and drip trays were placed in a deep pebble tray that has been filled with distilled water. They have been watered with only rain or distilled water and were never allowed to dry out. They are covered with little clear and vented cups to retain humidity. They were getting at least 6 hours of sun a day. What did we do wrong that killed 2 out of 3 of them. These were a gift and I'd like to try to sort out and reverse what ever I did wrong and save the last one.

Hi! What you have is D. nitidula x pulchella. It's a pygmy drosera, and it only gets about 3/4 inch across.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing with them, but I wouldn't ever use a cup over it for two reasons: one, it doesn't need that much humidity and like air circulation, and two, if they are really in sunlight, they'll cook under that cup.

Don't worry too much about the ones you have. Those of us who grow this tend to have too many of them after one gemmae season! Anyway, this is an easy plant, and should grow for you. But ditch that clear cup!

Capslock

Oh my gosh!  The Di in front of the nitidula must have actually been a D. Nitidula x pulchella. I misread his handwriting when I unwrapped the plant and then I wrote the wrong binomial on the little plant stake for the plant. It is in fact a Drosera.  It only gets 3/4" across?  Glad you mentioned that so I didn't end up posting a question as to if we were stunting it or anything a month from now.  I'll get the lids off tomorrow morning when I go in to the classroom.  The lids on them had holes stabbed in the tops to vent them and they were slightly elevated off the soil by about an eighth to a quarter of an inch.  I am thinking something else might be going on here but getting the lids off might be a good start.  Thanks, we'll try a "no lid" approach and see if the little one that is still hanging in there comes around.

pygmies are alot of fun. you can get alot of plants in a small area like with Utrics.

Rattler

Pygmys, what a delight!
smile.gif

Im getting gemmea of this plant very soon, cant wait!
How could you beat me to it? lol
smile_n_32.gif

I have one pygmy(not nitidula x pulchella)
not entirely sure what it is tho.

i have pygmys too.. how the heck do you feed them?
their so small, and all i have are baby crickets which are even to big for them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Patch @ Nov. 15 2004,5:27)]i have pygmys too.. how the heck do you feed them?
their so small, and all i have are baby crickets which are even to big for them.
well, if its a clup of plants then throw the cricket do its streched over all of the plants.
Each plant will eat a bit of the cricket.

i dont feed mine. they do catch lil flying bugs on their own from time to time.

Rattler

The pygmies are wonderful plants. They are small...but they are mighty.
smile.gif

They look great in large clumps. And of course they mature plants make gemmae in the fall (little green balls that are free-floating plant buds) which is always interesting.

Nitidula x pulchella is a nice one. Very pretty. I have some here in my office.
I don't feed mine...they catch whatever comes their way.

Some of the pygmy Drosera can become as much a weed as capensis. Once I had a couple D. nitidula x pulchella and now I have thousands all over the place. The gemma are very small and catch a ride on fingers, clothes, etc. In one year, they took over a 12 x 24 inch tray of VFT seedlings and smothered the baby VFTs.

Hi Dino, it was a gift. I didn't beat you to it as I don't have any so don't feel left out.  It is all at the school.  

We haven't been feeding ours as I was under the impression that was not a good thing when the plants were immature.

Hi PlantAKiss, they were really cute when we first received them and planted them up but it went downhill from there. I will take the lids off tomorrow and see if that resurrects the one that is still hanging in there.

Hi BobZ, what are you doing differently than us that yours are becoming a weed and ours are fizzling?

Ah, you can always collect the gemmea, Laura.
Then you can lay them onto a moist peat sand mix at home and you will have plants for yourself.
smile_m_32.gif

Its good feeding them, the pygmys are probably mature.

Back