What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big mystery...

that was so cool to read that article about the SEALS practicing on the ghost fleet. when i lived in VA Beach last year, we did a lot of water sampling on the James River and several of the sampling sites were around the ghost fleet. i can't imagine people in Richmond hearing that. i would think Norfolk, Newport News area definitely would though.

I know!  I know!

The Democrats are imploding.
laugh.gif

i doubt they are "hearing an explosion" to be said for some military training, etc.

these things are doing physical movement on items.

if anything, i would think sonic boom. and the military always denies until they are caught.

gas line? no someone would smell it.
plates? no cause they rumble.. if a plate was causing the boom, then you would think the plate was dropping 5 sudden feet or something.. cause these are sudden booms, not rumblings. and plates cause earthquakes and tidal waves, not a boom and hit your stuff down.

bomb?
i dont know much about bombs, but something causing that large of an area to be effected would have some kind of mark left on the area it was set off.
an air wave boom even causes a disruption in the plants, ground, etc. so if it was a bomb, there would be tracks left.

no idea

Sure there was not a recent chili cookoff in your neck of the woods?
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry about that, I know you are worried. I am stumped. It really sounds like a sonic boom, though I was not aware they shook buildings like that. The only other thing I can think of is underground gas.

Cheers,

Joe

A similar thing happened a month ago in an area of Manchester. It was on the radio and the police/fire/seismologists could find no explanation.

Maybe it's the sound of celestial elevator doors slamming shut in Lynchburg & Virginia Beach as true believers leave for paradise.

a sonic boom at low altitudes will shake a house. i know cause ive expericanced it. a guy in the air force from my home town flew a B-52 over city limits at low levels. a sort of "hi mom!" move that got him in deep sh........... well you know what with his suporvising officer. i swear to god i though an earthquake was happening. and ran downstairs and outside just fast enough to see the bomber before it was out of sight.

A B-52 is a subsonic plane.  They're loud, but it isn't a sonic boom.  When I lived in Maine, the B-52s up in Loring AFB would practice over one of my field areas because the terrain was relatively unpopulated and supposedly was a good approximation of Russian taiga.  Plenty of spruce and lots of good bogs.  One time, a friend and I crossed over a low ridge as a B-52 flew by ahead of us, just above the trees.  I swear we were looking at it from above.

LOL @ Bruce and Jan.
laugh.gif
Good one! And yes Joe there was a chili cookoff. lol I missed it though...as I did the Brunswick Stew festival. Darn it!

I have experienced sonic booms. Trust me...these are NOT sonic booms. For one, its a "ground up" feeling. For two, there would be no reason for the military to deny sonic booms, for three sonic booms would probably be heard over a wider area than just a few specific neighborhoods as the planes passed. Why would the same area being hearing sonic booms over and over and not anybody else? And I doubt if 10-12 planes flew over Richmond yesterday causing all the booms.

Everyone is stumped. I hope this doesn't end up an "unsolved mystery." At least there have been none today. And I can't imagine the city thinking this could be a "prank". How stupid.

Thanks for all your thoughts on the matter. I was hoping maybe someone else had experienced this before.

i can bet its a sonic boom. a wave could hit you lateraly and give you that impression.

You think 50 city and state officials as well as numerous agencies couldn't figure out its a sonic boom? And explain why only a few neighborhoods can feel/hear it? The same ones every time. We're talking an area not even a mile wide. Sonic booms can be heard for many miles.

the aircraft's height directly affects the area the sonic boom is heard in. The higher the aircraft, the wider the area and the less intense the boom. The lower the aircraft, the narrower the area and the stronger the boom is felt. That could explain why you get louder booms sometimes, sometimes lower, and sometimes over a large area, and sometimes only a few people hear it.

so it was going really low... and no one saw it.
I don't think the military is THAT stupid... is it?

well when something is going faster than the speed of sound it becomes a little bit hard to detect... don't you think?

Ok. Now explain why all the experts and officials haven't been able to figure that out after consulting with airports and all the branches of the military. Do you REALLY think a whole city would be so mystified and upset by a common sonic boom?

Maybe if you're just one person looking up, but I find it hard to believe that no one in the whole town saw even SOMETHING speeding away.

maybe it didnt fly over the area... it could of released the boom during a maneuver towards the area and changed its direction. The aircraft doesnt need to fly directly over the area affected. People would have no time to be looking for it, and only if they are looking in the EXACT area the plane will come to EXACTLY when the boom is felt, would they have a chance to see it.

i've come to the independant conclusion that a hellmouth is in the early stages of opening up, somewheres under Richmond.

lol

OK...check THIS out.  This link was provided to me by Bugweed's Boss.  
biggrin.gif

Although I don't think all the articles apply (the ones referring to lights in the sky and flying saucers), most of them I think refer to the same thing happening here.  The first two articles are about the "explosions" in my area (I live in Ginter Park).

http://www.michiganufos.com/skyquake_reports.html#ft%20wayne2

Verrrrrry interesting...and mysterious.  No one anywhere has found a solid explanation.

Back