What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big mystery...

I have no idea what it could be...That is one of the oddest stories I have heard this year. Why can't they locate the noise? Shouldn’t the people that live near the explosion be like it is in my backyard, or across the street, or my neighbor is acting weird lately? To shake houses in a 10 block area is a big boom. The people right next to it must not be able to hear anymore.

there was a story in the news a week or so ago about the military testing a pilotless drone capable of an astounding speed of MACH 10..... only heard a wee blurb about it, almost like it wasn't supposed to be mentioned, or something....... it was a small craft, and low-level flying from what I recall.....
May have something to do with something....
I hope the situation gets resolved for you, either way, PAK, I hate unexplained, earth-shaking stuff myself
biggrin.gif

LATE BREAKING NEWS...

As I write this, there is a team of police and other crews at the intersection one block from my house. The have the street blocked off and are recovering "pressure producing devices...some above ground and some below." The area is being treated as a crime scene. They are only saying this may be linked to the disturbances. Hopefully there will be more info on the 6 oclock news. I wonder if the street will be unblocked by the time I leave work. I live right there.

http://www.nbc12.com/servlet....9311429

I hope this is the answer and will stop the shaking before any serious damage is done.

They probably found out it was the military and are covering it up. pressure producing devices? its a little hard to belive. Why wouldn't they show a picture of one.
confused.gif

Because the story had JUST broken about it. lol They were still there investigating when that article was posted. Early in ANY police investigation they don't reveal their hand, so to speak. They may need to keep details quiet in order to catch the person responsible. I'm sure if they think its ok to do, they will show what they found. But this discovery is only hours old so I doubt if they know too much right now. I'm sure they will be scouring the neighborhood for more devices.

n a few minutes the news will be on and I can see if they have released any more information. Someone else told me these explosions were happening in other areas a good way out from my neighborhood but I don't know if that's true.

I can't figure any reason anybody would do such a thing. Maybe they will have some theories on the news.

I would imagine your poor Ollie Bean has been freaking out at night.

From reading the article, it seems the police probably have a suspect already. They seemed to know what they were looking for and where, which means someone probably tipped them off. They've probably got the suspect under surveillance. They're just keeping the details out of the media for now. Kind of like the Beltway snipers. They knew who they were looking for before the media got wind of it.

The booms started election day? Maybe another unhappy voter?

The only way to make sense of crazy things like this is to think like a crazy person, which i am an expert at.
biggrin.gif

My theory (i apologize if this is a bit corny) is that terrorists are using dynamite to blow tunnels under your neighborhood and are trying to cause it to collapse. Again, i apologize if that was kinda corny.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The booms started election day? Maybe another unhappy voter?
No it wasn't me.

LOL Ozzy...I did have that thought!

Actually...more LATE BREAKING NEWS! There apparently has been an ARREST! A juvenile. That's all I know. I will know more after 5 p.m. when the news comes on.

Boy...things sure have moved fast since the neighborhood meeting Sunday nite.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Nov. 21 2004,3:40)]Were is Mulder and Scully when you need them!
I have spotted another X-Files fan!! *high-fives* This would make a GREAT episode..

EDIT: Just read the whole 6 pages.. I get sooo absorbed in stuff like this.. I personally think it's more than just a juvenile prank. I mean, reports in Canada and other places? I don't think that's all it is.. and I really strongly don't believe it's sonic booms. I KNOW what sonic booms are like.. we here experience them every time the shuttle comes back to earth, and we are extremely close to it.. the shuttle break the sound barrier, it's loud and sudden, but not as loud as the Richmond booms accounts have shown, and they do shake the ground a little, but it's not something that shakes the whole house and makes you feel like the ground under you is exploding, as PAK accounted. Hell, the house shakes more when the shuttle launches. And besides, the shuttle's sonic booms consist of TWO booms, about a half a second apart.

I think this whole thing is another Area 51 government conspiracy situation myself.

Well...here is the latest although details are sketchy. They have arrested a 15 year old juvenile. The police descended on a house and confiscated items including a computer from a shed in the backyard. There were films of them carrying evidence bags out of the shed. The police say there may be more arrests imminent so the kid may not have acted alone. They found devices measuring from 4" to 12" (two exploded ones and one unexploded one). There has been no mention of exactly what the devices are but did say they could have caused harm to anyone close to it if it exploded. They are also saying its possible there are still more devices around. I don't know if they consider this mystery totally solved as they were saying it might only PARTLY explain the explosions. Not sure what they meant by that.

And guess where the kid lives. Across the street from me, down 3 houses. I can see their house from my house. Not only that...one of the real estate agents in my office had that house listed for sale last year and sold it. I attended the open house she had as she wanted me to see the interior (nice old arts and crafts house). Little did she know she was selling the house to a potential bomber.

He has been charged with a felony...they haven't decided if he will be tried as an adult or juvenile. I hope its as an adult. Even a 15 yr old should know better than to leave ANY kind of explosives around. There is an elementary school on the next block and one of the devices was found right there at the school. Imagine if some little kid had found one of those and picked it up. This kind of thing does not classify as a "prank." A prank is lighting a string of firecrackers and throwing them out of a car window. Blowing up bombs strong enough to rock several neighborhoods and shake homes over a wide area isn't a prank.

I am hoping the police will release more details so we know what's going on and more about the devices themselves. I would sure like to understand how the devices were made and how they worked (were they on timers or were they ignited by hand). How this kid managed to explode so many of these things and not get caught, I'll never know.

The neighborhood still isn't at ease knowing there might be more people involved and more devices around.

Whoa, I just remembered something... several years ago, when I was 9 or so, when Hurricane Floyd hit Florida, we had driven all the way to West Florida when, as we tried to sleep in a parking lot, we heard on the radio that the winds turned out to only be around 60mph in our area because the hurricane had veered off course a little.. so we drove back, right? Well, we got back around 1 AM. No power. We tried to go to sleep, and a few hours later, as I was just starting to doze off, I got the holy crap scared out of me when I heard, over the ramming wind and rain outside that shook the whole house constantly anyway, 4 or 5 loud BOOMs, less than a second apart, coming on fast and stopping fast. It sounded like it was right in the back yard. As soon as I heard it, I was so flipped I instantly covered my ears because I was so scared and I didn't want to hear it anymore, and when it stopped, I just closed my eyes and refused to open them for hours until I finally got my regular pulse rate back and somehow fell asleep. The next day, I asked my grandparents, and my grandfather didn't hear it (he can sleep through an atomic bomb), but my grandmother said she might have heard the end of it, as she woke up. We went out and cleared the debris, which included lots of leaves and a couple branches off of the big cherry tree we had at the time out front, but there was no way that could've EVER made that kind of noise. No way. And there was no heavy stuff at all anywhere.. and I know very well the common loud noises here.. 18-wheelers blowing tires at high speeds on Interstate 90 half a block from the house, the shuttle coming back to earth and breaking the sound barrier, stuff like that.. but this was very different, and I swear to God with all my heart and soul, this sounded like it was right in the back yard. To this day what I heard that night remains unexplained.

Holy crap.. there's this 2004 movie on SciFi tonight at 9 PM EST about mysterious blasts in a small town that get residents suspecting arson.. that is really freaky o_O

Today the kid was arraigned in court. They have also arrested a 14 year old in connection with this and still say more arrests might take place. Unfortunately (IMO), they opted not to try him as an adult. In addition, his friends have gone on a spray paint spree and have ruined signs and businesses along my side street (perhaps others) with grafitti saying "Free P.M." and "Free the Boomer." Just more damage and expense to the neighborhood and innocent people.

Sadly it seems that some kids today can't tell the difference between right and wrong. And apparently they have too much time on their hands if all they can find to do is make bombs and damage buildings.

There have also been reports of more explosions although there has only been one time I thought I heard one. Now everytime I hear a sudden loud noise, I flinch.
confused.gif

Is this the thread I was hearing about?(I haven`t read trough it yet) I hear lo0ud booms alot at home. PAK yeah if only everyone was a well behaved cper like most of us(I assume).

I hear a loud sucking sound as a whole bunch of people get caught up in PAK's swirling vortex of mystery .  
laugh.gif

"pressure producing devices"...very good Suzanne.  Very imaginative...Now what's the punch line?
smile_l_32.gif

LOL Jan! Hmmmmm....a swirling vortex of mystery! Ssssscccchhhhhwooorrrp! Yeah, yeah...that's the ticket! Hey...that quote ("pressure-producing devices") is straight out of the newspaper! As far as a punch line...I'd like to punch those dang kids!

I kinda like the sound of that vortex thing...
smile_l_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Back