What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The big mystery...

Well, I'm still not totally satisfied, as this doesn't explain why similar booms would be occurring in other areas. One news report I saw said a similar thing was happening in Indiana. Not to mention it's a little hard to beleive that a 15 year old could create a device that could shake up an entire neighborhood and not leave any kind of conspicuous mark.

All I know is no booms have been reported in the VCU area, including the Fan, Jackson Ward, and Carver, so I'm glad to be boom free. Barring the bottoms of flat-bed trucks hitting the pavement as they cross over uneven pavement on Belvidere. Sounds like a shotgun going off...

I hope this ends the booms, but this just doesn't leave me satisfied. There's still too many questions that need answering...
confused.gif

And don't even try to pin this one on me, Suzanne
smile_n_32.gif

oh man. I just read through this all, amazing stuff. I'm glad they caught him. Sounds reasonable, I know there are internet sites that trade prank (or more serious) "recipes" for all kinds of stuff, that could have been one. It was on the news a while back when some kids made a bomb that blew up stink gas in a high school. Except the bomb looked and sounded real. Got the arson crew and everything out there!
confused.gif

Last year we had kids leaving acid bombs on the roadways.  This was during the summer and I suppose they hoped that the bomb would explode while a motorist was passing, damaging the car and driver.  We were chasing the booms all night.  Luckily no one was injured.  Good joke heh.  The acid was strong enough to damage the roadway.  What would it have done to a human body!

Did you dole out beatings to the kids, or is that frowned upon these days...?

smile_l_32.gif

I'm ready to do some beatings!
mad.gif
I was woken up this morning at 5:30 a.m. to two HUGE back-to-back explosions that shook the house. Scared the crap outta me. I am so sick of this. Two kids arrested and STILL the explosions continue!

Not only that, but 3 homemade explosive devices were found in a department store yesterday...two exploded and one didn't. It happened in a small town just outside of Richmond. A copy cat I'd guess. Luckily, even though people were in the store when they went off, nobody was hurt.

What is wrong with kids today that they can't see that this kind of thing isn't a prank...its downright dangerous! People could get hurt...children could get hurt.

mad.gif

Ha, told you it was pranksters (I also thought it could be aliens, but anyway...). When I was 15, I knew there were several kids in my school who made these bombs to blow up mailboxes. They were real simple to make, I think they used a 2liter soda bottle, some drain-o, something like that.

I will say again...making and exploding bombs is NOT a prank.  Its dangerous.  Its stupid.  Its self-centered.  Its thoughtless.  We'll see how much of a "prank" it is when a little 6 yr old from the elementary school finds one of those things, picks it up and has their hand blown off. It is a CRIME...its a FELONY. Not a prank!

Bombs are not child's play.  Every kid involved needs to be charged and tried as an adult since they are making adult explosive devices.  The police have admitted that while they aren't "incendiary devices", they could cause damage and injury to anyone or thing close to them when they explode.  And since you don't know where they are....who knows when or where...

When I was a kid, it would never have occured to me to do such a thing.  Even as little kid, I knew the difference between right and wrong and knew what could harm other people.  I could not imagine thinking something like that was funny.

I still think kids growing up on violent video games has a lot to do with it.  Killing, bombs, shootings, arson, snipers--all just fun and games.  Some people can't draw a clear line between reality and fantasy.  Kids are learning to find pleasure in the suffering of others--its fun...its funny!

All I can say is...karma...

confused.gif

Well, I agree, this sounds like it's beyond 'prank' level.

I'm 43 and remember my best friend in Mississippi shooting me with a shotgun in my backyard.  I didn't know he had cut off the end of the shell and poured out all the shot.  At least he tried to and nothing hit me.  But who knows.  That was in early high school and was a serious test for my potty training.  It was stupid and could have been fatal and neither he nor I had ever seen a video game beyond Pong.

Never underestimate the inability of adolescents to think of consequences.  It strikes all of them some of the time.  I look at my past and what I know friends, my father, and my grandfathers did and can only wonder what the hell were we all thinking.  And we're relatively thoughtful people.

I do know one guy who knows the recipie for C4 but he lives all the way out in C.A.

A lot of kids know that this kind of thing is dangerous. All of my friends do, most of my school does. All of the faculty tells us that all the time, but what can i say, some kids, some people, are just strange.

i dont know whyt its taken me so long to reply but there is a medium risk of earthquakes in the carolinas do to a warm upwelling in the mantle under the crust of the earth... and tectonic plantes move very solwly so it is unlikely to cause so the relese of so much energy with the frewuency of the explosions you are hearing.

I just had another thought:
If these bombs are human made, and they shake this amazing amount of space, wouldn't they have to be much more powerful than the ones that they found in all these places? They would have to be strong enough to level an entire house, before they shake ground that far away.

I still haven't ruled out the dynamite tunnel theory. Possibly they are employing psycho teens with a bad attitude to cover them up.

If i lived there, i would be so P. O. ed at the person they found i might personally administer capital punishment.
mad.gif

note to self: read entire article before posting...

Reports are still saying (with no further explanation) that they believe MOST of the "booms" were caused by "pressure-producing devices", but they are still bringing in some seismic equipment to make sure its nothing like that going on.

It is hard for me to understand how something so small can cause a shock large enough to shake homes in such a large area. The two this morning were felt quite a long ways away. And when these things happen, it feels like its going off either under the house or right beside it. Its that loud and strong.

I'm going to call the city number given for this situation to see if I can get any info on what the bombs look like and where they were found. They are leaving us too much in the dark on this.

I think there a lotta' people in Virginia that are drinking way too much of a famous local clear liquid product that is sold in gallon jugs and mason jars.
laugh.gif

I still believe my original theory is correct; Suzanne is setting us up for an early April fools joke.  What say you?  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Dec. 09 2004,9:39)]I think there a lotta' people in Virginia that are drinking way too much of a famous local clear liquid product that is sold in gallon jugs and mason jars.
laugh.gif

I still believe my original theory is correct; Suzanne is setting us up for an early April fools joke.  What say you?  
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head with that!
smile.gif
It all makes sence now...

And those darn newspaper people all over the Internet are in on it too! *tsk* What is this world coming to?

Back