What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A nice warm rainy day (and night)

Rain is falling and the temperature has risen over 50 and will stay there until tomorrow afternoon. So the orchids and Neps and the Ceph are back outside soaking it all up. They're happy and so am I.

I'm like, where are you from, because I'm getting the same description in Reading, PA. Turns out you are from CT, not terribly far away.

Its been pretty warm here as well. This has boded well for me considering I haven't had any heat until this past Monday. I just got my new boiler installed (the flash flooding from hurricane Gaston killed my old boiler). Momma Nature has been kind to me. And I sure did like my gas bills!
biggrin.gif
Now that I have heat, I don't really need it. I'm sure the warm spell won't last but so long.

Its been drizzly and looking very grey November-ish here...some trees are bare, some trees are still colorful but fading. Soggy leaves everywhere. Only the temperature doesn't fit with the atmosphere.

It was warm here this morning, raining all day. After noon the temps took a big nosedive. On days like this it always seems that I have to work outside. Today no exception. It was a cold, wet miserable muddy day.
We are suppose to have 2 inches of snow tomorrow. I hate winter.

Winter? Isn't that when the temperatures drop into the 70's and the palm trees get a little brown because it doesn't rain as much?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buster1 @ Nov. 24 2004,5:18)]Winter? Isn't that when the temperatures drop into the 70's and the palm trees get a little brown because it doesn't rain as much?
Man those are fighting words.
I'm suck here in Ohio and all I want is to get back home to NC. and here you are rubbing it in.
I hate winter in NC where cold is 40 or 50, and here I am stuck here where it gets 20 below 0, with 20 mph winds are blowing off the lake. And to top it all off I have to work outside.
Tonight they are calling for 2 to 6 inches of snow. So come on step outside and lets settle this like men.

well, personally I can't wait for the snow
biggrin.gif
and hopefully we'll get a big winter storm and I can take TONS of pics and go looking for tracks in the snow and slipping in the ice and *sigh* I Love winter
biggrin.gif

besides... I can go cocoon huntin'! LOL
I REALLY hope I find cecropia moth cocoons... and maybe a stray polyphemus... I probably won't find luna cocoons though.

Our forecast is to stay in the 50s overnight and into tomorrow, before dropping in the mid 20s and returning to "normal" weather. I'm hoping it dries out tomorrow before cooling so I can so some spraying outside instead of inside.

Ozzy, It wouldn't be fair.... I can step outside in a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. You would have to step outside in a parka and gloves and one of those wool hat things and those big snow boots. Plus you would probably have to shovel your way out the door! I really can't imagine working outside in that kind of weather, actually, I really can't even imagine that kind of weather. I can see why you're trying to get back to North Carolina. If it makes you feel any better, we're supposed to have a cold front move through on Friday and the nighttime temp. is supposed to be in the low 50's.

I noticed the rain and warm temperatures mentioned in the forecast, but didn't notice the wind warnings.  A lot of pots got knocked over and two orchids were blown right out of their pots.  But all the plants perked up and it was worth it.  It was still 67 a little before 4:00 and, by 7:30, the temperature was 38.  That's a drop of almost 30 degrees in 3 1/2 hours.  That doesn't happen too often around here.

wow. has it been windy EVERYWHERE?
confused.gif
and cold too? everyone I've talked to today says the same thing.
my mums pot got knocked over but they're alright.

Hey Buster,  I know what you mean about winter down here.  I actually had to put on a pair of jeans this morning...it got all the way down to 56 last night.  But the sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the Gulfstream had a fog bank that looked very eerie when the sun peeked over the horizon.  High is supposed to be 72.  My "dews" are loving it.
Look on the bright side Ozzie, you don't have to clutter up your fridge with dormant plants.  I hardly have room for my beer.
biggrin.gif

I haven't put beer in the fridge for several weeks. The floor at the back corner of the kitchen keeps it nice and cool. I'd put a thermometer in it to check the temperature, but it's best not to know.

Back