What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lizards

I tend to leave my back door open during nice weather…we have a lot of that here in Lauderdale…and over the years numerous species of lizards ranging from geckos to our run of the mill green chameleons have wandered in and set up shop.  At first I thought it was kinda’ neat as they ate ever bug in the house.
Recently It has gotten outta’ hand.  They are everywhere and leave their “calling cards” all over the house.  My cleaning lady threatened to quit when one ran up her leg.  I don’t want to kill them but would like to put them back outside where they belong.
Does anyone have any idea how to trap them?

dormancy is coming right? oh never mind youre in florida

there are humane traps..
i cant remember where to get one small enough for lizards..

otherwise, keep them out by putting in screen doors and screens on your windows..
that way you can open them without lizards coming in.

not sure about catching them though..
they hide rather well..

a gecko can be in your house and you could go a long time without ever seeing it.. except for a corner it likes to poop in.

so once you find your trap.. go find its pooping spot and put the trap near there.

I miss the lizards we get here.....seems the chickens eat them.

We used to catch them one at a time with a noose on a stick. Would only work, though, if you had time and patience. Otherwise, get a cat.

Oy, I hate to see them killed, but Schloaty has the best idea(other than a exterminator, of course).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]to our run of the mill green chameleons
eeeehhh.... you mean Anoles? they're not chamaleons.
I wanna see geckos!!!!
smile_h_32.gif

I know they're attracted to lights (geckos...at night) so maybe you can attract them and catch 'em and release 'em.
as for the anoles... I have no clue. Just catch them? :p
remember... killing is not the answer!

WhenI want to catch one of mine I just chase it until I catch it.

When you catch them send them to me. I got a whole room set up for them.

I think King Cobras eat other reptiles, so a few of those slithering around the house should take care of the wayward lizards.

most likely brown anoles, green is being crowded out

All I see are male green anoles. Kind of creepy I never find females!
or do females have red too? I thought only males did... or is it the doulap(SP?) how confusing. I found out last year that they shed their tails too! it gave me such a scare :p I had held them up by their tails since like forever and nothing had happened so I didn't think they shed them.... and WHOA! this one did.???

iv had green anoles as pets. females have less of a angular snout and smaller dewlaps (lucky you green anoles are still in yoyr area... so far..) and yes, they do shed their tails...

I'm not sure Chameleons live in Florida.

I'm pretty sure they only live in Madagascar. Anyway, i would just get a cup and paper (make sure the cup is big enough, but gecko's and anole's tails will drop off anway) and when you see one of the little buggers, slam the cup over it (being sure not to decapitate it in the process) and slip the paper under the cup, and let it outside.

I'd just catch it with my hands though, i used to have lizards. (Bearded Dragon, Crested Gecko, Swift, Vietnamese Calote, Frilled Dragon and a SAVANNAH MONITOR names Monty). Somehow, when i got sick once, it spread to them and i couldn't get medicine in time. Poor guys.

green anole is incorrectly referd to as the american Chameleon

Every calls them chameleons. They see a lizard climbing and say "hey look, a chameleon".

I don`t call the lizards around here chameleons...and have never heard them refered to as such....

All the people that don't know better do. Sorry about that.
smile.gif

The reason people confuse anoles with chameleons is simple some species (like the one in Florida) have the ability to change color. However they are limited to brown and green (most species of anolis) unlike true chameleons. NepenthesMaster is right chameleons are found in Madagascar, but also in Africa and parts of India.

Back