What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss - dangerous?

sure its possible. i can also get anthrax from walking the back country. its in the soil around here and every once in awhile it wakes up from its dormant state and inffects livestock and sometimes ranchers. its HIGHLY unlikely to happen to me but it could. i feel it is probably unlikely to get a lung infection but not inpossible. 20 ppl could inhale the dust from a package of sphagnum and maybe one will come down with some sort of infection. dont breath in the dust and wear gloves and wash your hands if your worried. it seems to me its one of those things that could happen but is it really worth spending great amounts of time worrying about? just my 2 cents.

Rattler

Lol. I don`t wear gloves\mask or anything when handleing Lfs

But I do know lung infections hurt!

Just wet it down and there won't be any dust kickup. I wouldn't worry though.

ha.. i have a lung infection right now. Pretty bad to say the least. I had a bale of sphagnum sitting under my desk uncovered in water and when i check it yesterday it was full of fungus. Maybe thats the reason i'm sick.
confused.gif

I think its not as dangerous as it sounds. More dangerous is the dust of silicium dioxide, also known as sand...please save your lung and keep your face away from the fine dust if you handle with sand. My aquarium sand is very dusty in dry form, just wet it first and mix your soil.

Every anorganic material can have cancerogen effects for your lungs as long it is fine enough: even house dust, the particles which come out of cars with diesel engines...and so on.

Jan

I asked this same question because around the time I got into CPs my cat began licking himself on his belly until he wore the hair off and then continued licking until he got a rash. In the course of spending about $1000 on Kitty I asked the Vet about Sporotrichosis from the Sphagnum and he said he wouldn't think it was very likely.

Anyway, I haven't had any Sphagnum with bad dust since I have been using the blonde "new zealand" stuff for the past couple years. The old Mosser Lee sphagnum from  Wisconsin was terribly dry and dusty, making me cough every time I dug into the huge bale I bought. Finally I just threw it out. Much of it was twigs and roots anyway! I'd say as long as you've got the nice clean blonde stuff you shouldn't have any big problems to worry about.

Yeah, don't let that stuff sit in a pail of water for more than a couple hours or it'll start to develop all sorts of horrific smells!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The type purchased here is very dusty, but all fiberous dust can be dangerous and cause infections. I was not expecting that much dust the first time and developed "bronchitis" rapidly. No problem, I have had problems with it for years (Bronchitis, Asthma, Pneumonia or what ever they want to call it that day). Now I either wear a mask, avert my face or hold my breath while removing LFS from the bag and getting it into water. Luckily my bog is starting to produce live sphagnum and I hope to have a enough to work with in a couple of years. I have not tried it with my bonsai. I am going to have to though.

thats true i havent noticed as much dust since i switched from the US sphagnum to the bale of blonde Chilean LFS im currently using. the Chilean stuff is good other than i have noticed alot of reed or grass seeds must be in it. nothing major though.

Works very well on Neps!
smile.gif

The president of the NECPS reports that he contracted
Sporotrichosis. He ALWAYS wears gloves now.
They put him on some type of Iodine treatment.

Were a number of Disney workers making topiary animals and contracted sporotrichosis handling sphagnum.

Kirk
Fitchburg Mass

I've been handling it with my bare hands, with no ill effects, kneading it with water. I also have live LFS. Is that also a problem?

It's been nice knowing you Scott. J/K

I just found the article interesting, never heard of anything like that before. Not worried myself.
Keeping tropical fish I've heard all kinds of things. I guess if I was worried about it I would have stopped starting my syphon with my mouth years ago.

Lol. every one starts the syphon with there mouth:)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Dec. 05 2004,2:53)]It's been nice knowing you Scott. J/K
Thanks, Steve! I feel SO much better now!
smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
confused.gif
I don't think I've ever expressed THAT much emotion with emoticons before.

I guess I need to find someone else to send these plants to.......
smile_n_32.gif

I'm not dead yet! *too much Monty Python*
smile_n_32.gif

Back