What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do if....

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
What would you do if….

This story is based on actual facts. I will not disclose information on when or who this story pertains to (or if they are even on this board) so don’t ask. All I want to know is what would you have done in my shoes.

So, say an offer was made to you… A free item. All you had to do is pay for shipping… Say you discussed with this person very few details… Although the one that I consider pertains most is:
“Hi, thanks so much J. I’ll get the money to you as soon as you let me know the amount. For priority it is prolly 3.85”

So, say this person on the same day goes out to ship the item. After trying to get the item out USPS this person is “unable to” so they go to FedEx. At FedEx they are only given the options for shipping and chooses the “cheapest” one. Which happens to be just under $25 including the box to ship it in. So, this person goes ahead and ships the item then comes to you and asks for the $25 bucks. Remember that you had mentioned the item probably would cost $3.85 to ship, and you get a $25 bill…

QUESTIONS:
1) How would YOU handle the situation as the receiver?
2) If you were the shipper and saw it would cost $25.00 to ship the item… Would you have still shipped it without further contact to the receiver?

Thanks for your time. I have already come to a resolution with this person… I’m just wondering what you would have done.
Andrew

I would say tough crap..You should have contacted me first before paying 25 bucks to Fedx. Then go for a compromise...

If there is that big of a difference in price for shipping the other party should have contacted you about it.
I sure as heck would not spend $25 of my money to send something I told someone it was going to cost $3.85, I would not expect a full reimbursement.
I'd say send them $3.85, they should have checked with you first.

I would pay the 25 and then proabably not enter into trades with this person again. I'd pay that to avoid a confrontation over that amount. It sounds like they screwed up on shipping but didn't try to defraud you to make a profit or anything.

Capslock

If it were a couple bucks difference - no sweat. That's a huge difference. The other person should have contacted you first. His bad! Send $3.85 and be done with him. report to Tony P.

99% of people would go "$25!?" and then contact the person to renegotiate.

Pay the $3.25. If it was $5 or $6 then you'd probably pay to make it easier, but not with 25.

Well if I was the person shipping I'd wait. The person shipping the package should have enough brain mass to contemplate and what to do, and that would be wait. If I got a bill of $25 for shipping AFTER they told me $3.85 I'd be one teed off person.

Pretty much agree with all the people on here....should`ve been sent priority or first class...I`d be very upset and prbably wouldn`t pay...but remember the persons intentions...and they probably just had a "stupid moment" wich wvery body has every now and then agreed?

I agree with much of what was said. You shouldn't be obligated to reimburse for such a large difference in the quoted shipping fee.

Do consider though that in perishible goods such as plants (assuming it was a plant). You don't want to wait too long after packing before it is sent on it's way. Perhaps they felt the only way to avoid damage from extended packing time was to use expensive shipping? In either case you shouldn't be liable for the extra expense.

Tony

I would pay the person $25 and add the experience to the quite lengthy list of mistakes I've learned from. If I were the one shipping it, I would have backed off and asked for approval before shipping.

Remember guys... I said “Hi, thanks so much I’ll get the money to you as soon as you let me know the amount. For priority it is prolly 3.85” not the shipper...
Andrew

it's pretty obvious you were willing to pay around 5 bucks (to make math easier) and this is 5 (FIVE!) TIMES more than that. It's his/her/it's/their fault not yours.
I say pay him 3.85. If he wants more, just ignore him :p

There is no way I'd make someone who sent me a free plant pay some of the cost to ship it to me. It isn't fair.

Before I can answer this question, I would need more info.
First what is the value of the item?
Second how well do you know this person.

To me it sounds like a scam, if you don't know this person.
In this case I would wait until I recieved the item and then make my decision if I would pay the higher amount.

If the item is worth $5 why would somebody pay $25 to ship it? Why would he expect you to pay $25 for an item that is worth $5?

I probably would go home and contact the person, and ask if thbey still want it for the 25 bucks

very well put ozzy i wouldnt want to pay 25 dollars to someone i dont know, then when it gets here read the label and have it say $4.96

Ozzy- the value I would not put very high. Infact the item was going to be thrown away before I accepted the offer.
I did not have any corespondence with this person prior this item.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I were the one shipping it, I would have backed off and asked for approval before shipping.

that would be the courtious thing.

theres no need to pay 25 bucks for shipping. do you know how far away this person was? evenn if it was cross-country 25 is pretty steep

This person is within the same 1/8th of country as I.

Is the item worth $25 to you?

Back