What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wax work

I'm doing some arms & armor busts in Castilene wax and since I like obscure cultures, this first one is a young warrior from sub saharan Africa around the 1820's.

The anatomy roughed in
mahdist1.jpg

Quilted Armor roughed in (note 3" bic lighter for scale)
mahdist2.jpg

I've only put about an hour or two in it so far but doing all the quilting squares will probably take a good long time.
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks for looking!

Wow, do you have a deal with Sculpey??? Man, I finally remembered to hit our local hobby shop and looked at sculpey... with the prices I saw there, the figure you have there would cost me more than 100$

Good look, like the "grim determination" he's got going on, and the quilting looks awesome even at the "roughed in" stage

One question- will you ever post a pic of something finished
biggrin.gif
?
confused.gif

Or are you not that kind of sculptor??? (I can't say much, I have dozens of projects that are 90% complete)

Super sculpey at the craft stores here is only $7 - 9 per pound box - what do they charge by you? I could always buy it for you here and mail it to you maybe that'll be cheaper?

This guy here is sculpted in solid Castilene toy wax (about 2.5 lbs). If he were a Sculpey sculpture, the sculpey portion would be just the outter 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the sculpture's surface. The inside would be bonsai wire and wadded up tinfoil. Doing a foil core armature with sculpey projects helps to cook it from inside to the outside as well as saves you money on sculpey which isn't reuseable. This hard green wax can be molded from (to make a paintable plastic copy) and then softened in the microwave and made into something else so it lasts indefinately for any number of projects, but you never have the "original sculpture".

I just have to force myself to quit starting new stuff and finish detailing/painting the old. But I'm running out of space to store in progs so I have to start finishing and getting rid of some of this junk to make room for any new stuff I wanna do!
smile.gif

Back