What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good news / bad news

Well, i have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that there was a huge storm last night that blew out our power for a few hours, and the temps in my greenhouses got way too low at night. They all survived though.
smile.gif

The good news is that my N. truncata finally opened up a new pitcher after almost 4 months! It's about 4.5 inches high; over twice as tall as the last one.
I'm short on time, so i have to go.
Dave

Well I'm glad everything survived the storm. And congrats on the truncata pitcher. When I first got mine, it was very slow to grow and pitcher. Then it finally got going. It threw about a 4.5" pitcher...and then the next one was over 7"! Since that time its pitchers range from 7"-10"...nothing less. So maybe your next one will be a biggie as well.
smile.gif

Congrats on the truncata pitcher....Those suckers are SLOW, aren't they? My truncata is a lowly 2" diamter plant with 3/4" pitchers right now....But I have high hopes for the next leaf. Oddy, it has two growth points....I am debating with myself whether or not it would be advantagous (growth speed wise) to remove the smaller one (and perhaps try to root it).

My highland truncata openned a new pitcher about 2 weeks ago, and it's working on it's next leaf....This plant oddly seems to grow much faster for me than the lowland form, though that may be because it's older (already about 4" or so in diamter with a 2" pitcher).

We had a small icestorm and I was worried the power might go out if the Frz. rain continued to fall, luckily temperatures rose and it turned out to be nothing serious....perhaps you can speculate why I get so nervous when frz. rain fall, from the ice storm of 1998 in NY.

And schloaty, N. truncata will really get much faster in growth when it gets bigger, my mature male lowland N. truncata is a beast, its my largest plant and 2nd ever Nepenthes. I think the leaves on it are around 10in by 10in (25.5cm x 25.5cm) Pitchers, from early spring to late fall generally are over a foot tall.

Back