What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free to good home:

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My daughter is a bit of a "pack rat". She is like part squirrel and stores many things in her room - and then promptly forgets where they are. (I have a friend who refers to these things as "treasures." Riiiight!) Among the many things she takes in there, against all our objections, are fresh fruit. This has one small, yet significant side effect. Yup, you guessed it! I'm thinking of putting some of plants in her room, as this might be quite a beneficial arrangement. But if it doesn't work out... it's one free daughter & several fruit flies to a good home!    
smile_m_32.gif

Should this have gone in the Trading Post?

laugh.gif
. Must be a daughter thing. Mine does the same thing, only it overflows into the rest of the house.

Several years ago, a cat left a dead mouse in my daughter's room and we, in our infinite wisdom, said the mouse must have been in there because of my daughter dropping crumbs while having food in there.  No one can bring food into her room now and she makes people stay outside the door until they finish whatever they're eating.

Doesn't the fruit smell horrible? I can't believe she misplaces everything that enters her room.
I, uh, have a confession to make. When i went to boy scout camp for two weeks, i left and empty cup of hot cocoa in my room (at home). It looked like foam, ugly discolored foam. I refused to clean it, or even touch it until i got some latex gloves.
biggrin.gif

lol. I do the same thing. Every couple of days or so my room STINKS. it takes a while to locate and exterminate the source.
one time it was chocolate milk, another it were some puffballs inside a bag, potatoes sitting in water, fruit (it had TONS of nematodes :p), sugarwater, etc.
The realy bad stuff is when OOPPSS! it fell on the carpet!!!
I've had peat, glue (now THAT was hard to get off), mud, algae, highlighter ink, regular pen ink, etc.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

In an unrelated incident, I picked up a coffee mug with a lid on it. When I disturbed the contents thereof, a hoard of fruit flies jettisoned the mug, like bats fleeing a cave.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hehe... back in high school I had a really, really messy friend, Mike. Among the nasty things that my other friends and I uncovered while hanging out at Mike's house was a coffee mug with some foul, chunky substance in it. My friend Julia took a look at it and asked, "What is this crap, chili?" and Mike replied, "That's some coffee from the other week."
~Joe

Oh, I've got some good ones. First off, I had a messy roommate in the dorms. She left a BIG bowl of milk left over from her cereal right next to the door, and left for X-mas break. I was already gone. Humidity is high there, so instead of evaporating, it just rotted. Two weeks or so later, I open the door with my arms packed full of luggage and STEPPED into the bowl. It stank, was chunky, and was all over my shoe and the floor. Of course, I had to clean it up.

Years later, I had another famously messy roommate. His only saving grace was that he mostly ate junk food, so there were less critters and smells to worry about. My other roommate and I planned to throw a potato into his room (mimicks throwing a grenade over wall) to see if a plant would grow. At the last minute we decided not to do it, since the roots may have grown into the carpet and we'd be responsible for replacing it. When this roommate moved out, his floor was clean, because the junk and filth on top had protected from dust!

my sisters room becomes a wreck whenever she goes in there, and yes she brings food., wich becomes lost. I do recallseing a dead butterfly in there also...

I never have to worry about carpet stains in my room.. ALL HAIL LINOLIUM!!!!!!!!

But my room is always very dusty. I HATE dusting. It's just like making the bed.. I don't make my bed. Ever. Because IT'S JUST GONNA GET MESSED UP AGAIN!! But otherwise I don't ever have to really "clean my room", since it's never cluttered.. I update my room alot. I move stuff around, add stuff, get rid of stuff.. right now I'm planning on getting a darker cover for my bed, since the one I have now is all pastel-like, since my grandmother takes it upon heself to buy linen for EVERYBODY, evn though I hate bright colors. I want darker covers, cripe it!! And I work to cover most of the unbelievably white wall with stuff.. my grandmother hates when I do that. Too bad. Anyhoo, I have alot of browns and other dark colors.. and I wish that pastel-like flower border on my wall was never put there. And the floral outlet plates. They need to go. And lots of light annoys the hell out of me.. darkness calms me. I like dark. I never turn the light on in my room unless I'm reading at night. Otherwise it's just the TV, the fishtank and the red heat lamp in the leopard gecko's cage (when it's cold.. like now). I never turn the light on in the bathroom, or anywhere, for that matter, because I DO NOT NEED THE @#$% LIGHTS, but my grandparents constantly turn all the lights on and yell at me for keeping my room so dark. They call me a "mole" just because I keep the blinds closed in the middle of the day. Three reasons I do that: I light darkness, the sun reflecting unbelievably bright against the linolium blinds me, and it only emphasizes the dust.

And how the hell does the area under my bed get so frickin' dirty while the rest of the floor stays spotless? HM?!

I leave out rotten fruit and can't get fruit flys to save my life! I want to treat my drosera to some new food. They are getting tired of fungus knats. Maybe I need to have a Daughter. When I tell my wife we should have a Daughter she is somehow going to figure out its for my plants, she always does!

Glenn

smile_n_32.gif

Gee Glenn, maybe we can work something out - again! I'll send you Rachel for more Nepenthes cuttings (which by the way are still alive). I can even throw in a first born male child. I have three of them.
smile_m_32.gif
Whaddya think?

Talk about baby boom!

Glenn, I think that's "gnats". Wow, that's exactly what my grandfather did when he made two tiny "gnat houses" as Christmas tree decorations.. first he wrote "knat" on it and then I told him it was "gnat" and he wrote "gant" on it. I died laughing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ Dec. 17 2004,4:01)]It's just like making the bed.. I don't make my bed. Ever. Because IT'S JUST GONNA GET MESSED UP AGAIN!!
Thats for sure! I have the same attitude about that.....

Last night my wife turns to me and asks,"What are you doing?" "I'm writing to a friend, why?" "Well, would you look up fruit flies and see what can be used to get rid of them? I though just removing the fruit would do it..." "Well, the carnivorous plants are supposed to be good for them." (She just shot me a look.) "We can always get rid of Rachel." (silence) *slinks back in chair and sighs*

Then she went on to tell me about a little experimenat she conducted with baby wipes. Apparently, she set up a trap of her by placing baby wipes on the bathroom vanity. It attracted them and killed them.

I am always looking for ways to get rid of my N. ventrata cuttings. I never thought about asking for children in trade.

I was never very good with my silent letters. At least I remembered to put a letter in front of the nat.

Glenn

Back