What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any computer experts in here?

was hoping anyone would have an idea for an issue with my Dell desktop, before i spend half the day on the phone. i have a problem that the computer won't boot up. i keep getting a screen that says press F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup. i go into setup and primary and secondary drives have "unknown" listed. i had this problem before, called Dell, they had me unplug and replug all the cables inside the computer. that worked then. but now i tried it again and it didn't help. also, i now notice a weird sound, which i am assuming comes from the hard-drive. it sounds like the disc spinning, followed by a click. this repeats about every 1.5 seconds...spinnn-click..spinnn-click. i hope it's something as simple as just getting a new harddrive (or I guess even simpler than that!). i don't really use the computer much anymore, and it would only break my heart if it was trashed for monetary reasons. i don't have any essential files on there or anything. fortunately i made CD copies of all the CP and baby pics on there this past summer.

Sounds to me like a new hard drive is in order.

I have to say that I've spent some of the most hellish moments of my life on tech support calls with Dell, and will never, ever buy another product from them (nor can I recommend anyone else buy from them.) I'm a patient and forgiving person, but they went WAYYYYY over the line. Good luck!

Capslock

Click of Death.

Thats the heads slamming into the sides of the case when it gets confused reading the disc.

Sounds like a new hard drive man. Glad you don't have worldly important stuff on there that isn't backed up on a CD.
smile.gif

Gulp... I'm using a dell...

Dell's are nice computers if you live next to service center. ;) We were going to get one (the 8400) but went with a Compaq Presario since they just don't break down nearly as much as Dell's do! Computers are great Christmas present's maybe ask for a new hardrive?
smile.gif

Back