What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp's in trouble

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I decided to post this in the general forum instead of the conservation forum because it is very urgent and we have no time to waste.

Most of you know that I have been working with a group to stop a landfill that is propose to be built in the Green Swamp NC. The Green Swamp is home to the most cp species and has more cp's than any other place on earth, including the Venus Flytrap. The landfill is being built in the middle of the swamp, just 5 miles upstream from The Nature Conservancy, the only protected site in the swamp.

If you would like to read more about this then please read this.

I just received a news report that says the decision to grant permission for the landfill is now in the hands of the Governor, of NC, Mike Easley.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/sunnews/news/opinion/10446531.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]GREEN SWAMP DUMP

Giant landfill could harm Waccamaw system

By Jean Logan

A regional landfill has been proposed for Columbus County, N.C., and is up to the N.C. governor for approval. The landfill (aka the Green Swamp dump) is being proposed to serve the solid waste disposal needs of 25 counties in North Carolina and 14 counties in South Carolina.

Also, since solid waste can legally be transported across state lines as a commodity, there is nothing to stop the hauling of waste to this facility from other parts of the country, such as New York and New Jersey. Its sheer size could, according to experts in that field, create a mountain of garbage on the coastal plain of North Carolina that will equal the height of the tallest high-rise buildings in Myrtle Beach.

The Green Swamp and its surrounding lakes and wetland make up the headwaters for the unique Waccamaw River. Experts contend that such a landfill could contaminate the entire river system and thus the drinking water provided to many communities within North Carolina and South Carolina.

Those in eyeshot of this letter [should] write to Gov. Michael Easley, Office of the Governor, 20301 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-0301 and ask the governor to "intervene and deny the (Green Swamp) Regional Landfill permit required for this massive threat to our health and well-being."

Please take a few minutes of your time to write a letter to Mr. Easley and tell him how you fell about this. Tell him how important it is to save what cp sites we have left. This is our last chance to save the best cp site in the world. If the wrong decision is made there will be no turning back.

Thank You
Mark

I will. It would probably be illegal to do that anyway. I thought it was illegal to disturb the habitat of endangered life forms. The venus flytrap, and all sarracenia are under CITES appendix one or two.

It's not illegal to kill them if you own the land. I NC all plants and minerals are property of the landowner.

Ill do that, thanks for telling us ozzy

Back