What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh the joys of winter

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I had to make an emergency trip out of town this weekend and one of the things I forgot to do was double check the heater in my sunroom. Seems while I was out we hit a low of 17F. Got back yesterday and nearly cried. At least 75% of my Mexi-Pings have hard frost damage. A number of Drosera also look a little blasted as do my highland Neps (my 1.5m khasiana looks likea bruised avocado
smile_h_32.gif
) I have a bad feeling that I might lose at least half of these plants and right now I almost feel like throwing in the towel. Oh, and the real greeat part is that I leave tomorrow for 2 weeks so I can not monitor the plants that need it and nurse them through.

I HATE Winter!!

I know how you feel!
confused.gif
Don't give up on them though! Most of the plants turn out to be hardier than we thought!

yeah winter is a killer on plants. I'm a winter hater as well.

But don't give up on it.

That stinks man, I am really sorry to hear this, why do crummy things have to happen to such good people???

Don't give up, though, man, hopefully you will have a nicer surprise on returning, maybe a bit of stres might have been good for a couple of plants?
confused.gif

ARG!  Pyro, that SUCKS!  I really hope the spring back to life....As SP says, many of these guys are tough little buggers, and will eventually recover from the shock.

Last year we lost electricity (and therefore heat) in the old condo on the coldest night of the year....HIT NEGATIVE 35!!!!!!!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif
  Luckily the plants were tucked away so deep in the basement room, they only experienced about 50 degrees before the electricity came back.

Whew, i thought you meant negative 35 in your house! I guess that was outside.

SunPitcher is right, some of these turn out to be really tough. My N. macrophylla looks like it will pull through after losing almost all of it's growth from heats stress.

Pyro, Sorry to hear that. When you get back from your 2 week deal, let me know what you lost. I have a decent collection of mexi pings... maybe not all the rare ones that you have but i'll share any I have that you need... Plants, leaves... whatever I got. Good luck!
Andrew

darn sorry to hear that ...how cold does it get there anywayz btw?

So sorry to hear that!
I too dislice winter and the cold temps it brings.:(

Thats sucks Travis.Let me know what you lost and I can see what I can send you.The pings you sent me are growing good,maybe I can start some leaf rootings this weekend.

Jerry

Ditto what Andrew and Jerry said. My ping collection isn't big, but if I have something you lost let me know & I'll send leaves or plants if I have them.

We will not let you throw in the towel. When you get back, let us know what you lost and we will see what can be done. It will be Christmas a little.

Back