What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plesent weed...........

any one know which species this is? i almost kiled it as everything i found said grow it like a Hoya. it REALLY didnt like that so i took it out of the potting soil, threw it in some LFS and orchid bark as i was told to do on another forum and set it in the warm high humidity of my lowland nep tank and it took off. i must have a couple feet of vines going everywhere. wrapping around a Vanda and several Neps.

The plesent weed

heres another pic of one of the vines running below a nepenthes pitcher

Once again I cant see the pics.
confused.gif
smile_h_32.gif

yes, it is Dischidia pectenoides, one of the "ant plants". Ants live in the hollow leaf-like structures in the wild and the plant grows roots in to extract nutrients. very nice!
I find it grows vigorously in lowland conditions but rarely produces "bladders". it grows best for me in an open perlite-rich compost on sunny windowsills at normal house temps. it can take down to near freezing for short periods (if hardened off!!!!), but stops growing below about 15C

so you think its pectenoides. ok ill throw that on the tag then. it didnt have a tag when i purchased it. i may try window sill culture with some cuttings. since it likes it in the lowland tank i dont really want to move it.

the only ant plant i have produces food for the ant species, not shelter. some species of acatia that produces nutritos carrot-like growths from the tips of its leaves. i collect'em and feed those things to my plants occationaly, and compost the rest into the best compost i have ever used. but, it did kill the spider plants
confused.gif

Back