What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tsunami in Sri Lanka

In response to the many messages we have received this morning, we were not directly affected by the tidal waves in Sri Lanka although two of our staff who live on the coast are not contactable, hopefully only because the phone lines there are down. Of course with a death toll of 4,000 and rising, Sri Lanka is a sad place today.
smile_h_32.gif

glad you're allright, i hope you can get in contact with them soon!

I saw this on the news, it looks like a bad scene. I'm glad that you're ok, I hope the same for your staff.

I just heard about this today! I really hope your two staff members are ok...And I'm sure glad you're ok!

I'm very glad to hear you are ok.

Is there anyone who knows about Troy Davis?? I have been worried sick since I heard of the tsunami. He is in Bali. I have been out of town and pretty much out of touch with the news in detail so I don't know if Bali was affected. If anyone knows Troy and has any information on his situation, I'd appreciate knowing how he is.

confused.gif

Rob,

Glad to hear that you are alright. I hope the recovery is not a trial for you.

On a related note, has anyone heard from Troy Davis (fatboy on the forums)? Or Charles Clarke for that matter?

Glad youre O.K!
smile_m_32.gif

I hope Troy is O.K too.

Last I heard, the death toll was 21,900, with thousands still missing. This has got to be one of the worst disasters in human history.

Thank you everyone. It's a terribly difficult time. 10,000+ people in a country this small means that many people know someone who died. One of our lab workers went home today to the funeral of her Uncle and his two children. Thankfully, all our staff are safe, the ones that were on the coast on Sunday just couldn't get in touch with us as communications were all down.

I haven't ehard anything about Troy Davis. Charles Clarke should be OK as so far as I know he's in Australia.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there anyone who knows about Troy Davis??

On the CP listserv it was reported that contact has been made with Troy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have heard from Troy Davis and he says that he is fine having felt no
effects at his home.

Is there anybody else that has not been accounted for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Dec. 30 2004,12:56)]they expect death tolls to be over 100,000
By tomorrow it will be. There was just another earthquake about 40 minutes ago, and a smaller tsunami is likely headed towards them right now
smile_h_32.gif

What?!!

Where did you hear that??

Thanks Joseph, that's a really useful site!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Dec. 30 2004,2:32)]What?!!

Where did you hear that??
It waz on Fox Newz earlyer...
smile_h_32.gif
They said there was an aftershock earthquake, and they THOUGHT a tsunami might have been made from it.. Here is a reference:

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041230-022844-9544r.htm

Aftershocks from the main earthquake Sunday are believed to be causing huge wavez, nearly small tsunami sized by the time it reaches them...
confused.gif
and by now, that will do damage...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Dec. 30 2004,4:34)]This real-time link to seismic activity world-wide does not seem to indicate this (I hope I am not mistaken). Check for yourselves:
USGS Earthquake alertness program
I'm afraid you are
smile_h_32.gif
The map indicates two 5.9 magnitude earthquakes within the last few hours:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Magnitude 5.7 - NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
2004 December 29 21:12:59 UTC
Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

A moderate earthquake occurred at 21:12:59 (UTC) on Wednesday, December 29, 2004. The magnitude 5.7 event has been located in NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA. The hypocentral depth was estimated to be 26 km (16 miles). (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Fortunately, the Richter scale is logarithmic which means that the 5.9 aftershock is 1000 times smaller than the original quake and is not likely to create a devastating Tsunami thank goodness!

Back