What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

About grow lists... about cp software...

Hmmm, I think I could fit a few of the smaller boys in a decent sized footlocker quite nicely.  It would be snug but I'm thinking it is doable.  Two stragglers though.  Our oldest is over 6' tall and then there would be the issue of what to do with my husband. Is this where the chains come into play? Do I handcuff those two together and chain them to the footlocker and toss the key to the padlock? The anchoring in concrete was a nice touch. I like that.  At least I'd know where they were all the time.

By the way, what software do you use to keep track of all that you have?

Looks good on paper.

Ya might want to try bungy cords in conjunction with duct tape and coat hangers.

Trouble is that Social Services tends to frown on such practices.
smile_m_32.gif
Spoiled sports. What can I say!? They DO rather relish paperwork!

I done got me one of those fancy calendars for Christmas where each day had a new use for duct tape. I'll have to flip through my new calendar to see what they say about small children.  Ya, know... I've tried to child proof this house BUT they still get in.

On a serious note, I am thinking of biting the bullet and hiring somebody to create a data base for me. I don't see any software out there that does all I want it to do. I put feelers out yesterday and let's see what I come up with. Here's hoping it will be affordable.

LOL i know what your dealing with. im living with my fiance's two lil terrors from her first marrage. as unruly as they are i have managed to get through their heads that to touch a plant(inside atleast) or to open a critters cage is something they REALLY dont want to do and have yet to have anything bad happen, inside. no picked flowers, no uprooted or spilled pots, no chinchillas running full board through the kitchen. outside is a different matter and they seem to be attracted to my tiger lilys and poppys but the geese are about as bad as them so i cant get mad at them and not the geese. as to throwing stuff away when Darla cleans she insists that im right beside her and she questions anything that isnt hers before she throws it. good luck on the software, if yah find anything really interesting let me know
smile_m_32.gif

Sheridan, I found a programmer. Not exactly affordable but oh well.  She's going to use Access and she thinks she can whip something up in a few days.  Do you want whatever she comes up with?  I will own it as I'm paying for it so I can give it away free to anyone who wants it.  She gardens a little bit so she sort of understands what features I'm looking for in this type of an application.  A major want is the ability to add photos within a plant entry.

Let me know if you want the Access application.

lol you may be mad at me for mentioning this but i just asked Darla if she was familiar with Access she was curious as to why and read the jist of this thread........apparently she is quite familiar with the program, infact she is quite comfortable programing with it and has done programing in it in the past. in fact she described the last complicated program she did and i was a bit confused as to why she wasnt actually using it as it would make my life easier here at work. i forget sometimes as to what her college degree is as it has nothing to do with what she does. had it dawned on me and had i been paying more attention she could have came up with what you were looking for apparently.

tell yah what, ill trade yah some more plants for it(when its warm enough to ship) and if you decide yah need something tweaked with it we'll bug Darla to do it. sound like a plan?

Lemme see here... check #6748 in the amount of $300 tendered a few hours ago.  I'm used to being a day late and/or a dollar short so don't fret.  It grows on ya after a while.  As far as the application, I should have the basics in a few days as the gal was off work this whole week and gleefully started right in on my little project a few hours ago.  Lucky me, a motivated person who jumped right in!

I'll be more than happy to send you what she comes up with and please let Darla have a go at tweeking it as I strongly suspect what ever she comes up with will need it. I am already learning that the gal I hired is not all that familiar with horticulture.  She sent me an e-mail and spelled botany "botney" and it wasn't a misspelling either- scary, very scary.  She likes roses.  Lots of roses.  Climbing roses, tea roses, iceberg roses, and all kinds of roses. Roses are foo foo plants that require a lot of chemicals to maintain in my zone.

$300? im in the wrong buisiness. i told Darla and she about put her head through her desk.........guess she thinks shes in the wrong buisiness too
smile_m_32.gif
oh well you will probably get it faster through your gal and we can tweak it. its the end of the month and Darla is busy with billing for the paper so it would be a week or more before she would have even started on it. Darla says she has a black thumb and isnt much of a plant person. however she likes flowers so as long as i keep some orchids, Utrics and Pings in bloom she is happy and tollerant of the rest of them.

Tell Darla she's in good company because I felt like doing a face plant on my desk too. Do you have hi speed or dial up?  I can send you the fruits of this gal's labor tomorrow.  So far I have an initial sample of her work product.  She input her first plant.  Under the botanical name she entered the word "Weed" and under the common name she entered the word "Yuck".  Oh Lordie Lordie Lordie!  What have I done? Shame she isn't a 501 © (3) or I'd write her off.

Glad you got it!  Glad you aren't laughing about it too!  It did look as if it had great potential once tweeked!

Did anyone ever check into whether we could have a place to post grow lists here or not possibly in the future?

I had trolled for interest in an online grow/trade database a while back, and didn't get a lot of response, so i ran out of steam part way through development.  The partially finished system is accessible through the NECPS website.  If there is enough interest in it, i will see if i can pick up where i let off.  The framework is there, but there aren't many features actually accessible now.  Let me know what the features are that are essential (what was missing from the other software, for example).  I had a pretty ambitious plan, because it's easier to plan everything in advance, so it would be good to know what i've overlooked.

Alvin Meister said he would give it a try with Mr. Crane.

Back