What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia-flytrap-sundew terrarium

Hope everybody had a great holiday - here it was cold and rainy almost all weekend, but had a good time anyway!

Okay, I just received as a gift one of these cube-shaped terrariums like they sell at Lowe's, etc. It has in it:

-Venus Flytrap
-Drosera adelae (not labeled as such, but clearly is an adelae)
-Sarracenia (labeled as "rubra" but picture on label looks more like a "purpurea"; plant looks like a "rubra" (actually it looks just like a leucophylla I had a long time ago, but this is smaller and doesn't have the white translucent markings))

My question is about separation. They are all healthy-looking right now. It is winter here, but since the flytrap has probably just come from a nursery, do you think it will need dormancy this year? Or at least drier conditions? While the D. adelae probably needs it a bit wetter. I am not sure how the sarracenia factors in because it has been a while since I have had one...

Right now they are still in the original container in my office under a standard office fluorescent light. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, John

It's getting a bit late to be putting them down now, but since they just came out of TC general wisdom is that they can go without dormancy this year.

Just invest in a good Compact Fluorescent bulb to give them enough light until spring comes, or keep them by a sunny (but still relatively warm) windowsill.

I haven't seen you around here before, so forgive me if you alreayd know, but I assume you kow the rules on watering and soil? In case you don't, just stick them in a mix of sphagnum moss and sand/perlite, and water with distilled/RO water.

Good luck with your new plants!
smile.gif

Yes, I hang around here and duck in and out, mostly "in" in the springtime.

That's what I was assuming (or hoping) - that they were probably just out of tissue culture or nursery conditions and wouldn't need the dormancy this year.

Should I think about getting the D. adelae in wetter conditions than the other two need right now?

Thanks!

Back