What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't edit anything.... ?

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're doing. Son of a AUGH!!!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! my post got deleted!!!! NNNNNOOOOO!!! stupid "you are not logged in" thing. ok fine but WHY do you delete it?
(ehem... anyway)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It only appears that an evolved animal BECAME another species because WE NAMED IT something different.
Do you know the definition of a species?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a scientific fact that every human being has an amount of "dead" genes in their DNA that are unused for no apparent reason AND that we only use 10% of our brain capacity. What if a person actually was born with the ability to USE those extra genes and that other 90% of their brain?
what kind of wicked scientific world do you live in???
first of all, Junk DNA is useless. the whole purpuse of DNA is to code for proteins. Junk DNA does not code for proteins so it is utterly useless (except for allowing for new information!... even Junk DNA is proof of evolution)
secondly, I had already told you about the brain thing.
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]While for the people who repeat that myth, it's probably true, the rest of us happily use all of our brains.
LOL I love that quote. (no offense)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Many homosexuals are born with male AND female reproductive organs. I see that as a step forward in evolution
being a "hemaphrodite" has NOTHING to do with homosexuality.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]why do we insanely care so much about how we came about or how anything came about so long ago?
Because I'm sick of people thinking other animals (besides humans) are stupid mindless idiots that don't think and only react (cough cough... no offense. at least you were talking about bugs) and that we are superior to everything in the universe (besides god/angels) and that we can go and destroy everything and we have the right to mess with everything because god put everything here for us. (not saying any of you outright think this...)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Think of bugs. Bugs don't think or debate, only REACT
Try telling that to Jumping spiders that have to think and remember where and how to go get prey (there are experiments when a spider is put in a platform and a prey item is put in another platform. The spider can't jump from one to the other though. The spider has to trace back the tube and remember which one to climb. (there are dead-end tubes) and when the spider is in the ground it can't see the spider so it has to remember the path to take.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you know the definition of a species?

Yes. It's a classification of different types of animals, and that calssification was created by HUMANS, not GOD.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what kind of wicked scientific world do you live in???

The one with individual thinking.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]first of all, Junk DNA is useless. the whole purpuse of DNA is to code for proteins. Junk DNA does not code for proteins so it is utterly useless

Scientists have no choice but to think that because they haven't yet encountered anyone who has made use of junk DNA. Key word: YET.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]being a "hemaphrodite" has NOTHING to do with homosexuality.

I didn't say homosexuals were the ONLY ones to be born hemaphrodite, now did I.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Because I'm sick of people thinking other animals (besides humans) are stupid mindless idiots that don't think and only react (cough cough... no offense. at least you were talking about bugs) and that we are superior to everything in the universe (besides god/angels) and that we can go and destroy everything and we have the right to mess with everything because god put everything here for us. (not saying any of you outright think this...)

Yeah, well, me too, but debating viciously with each other about evolution isn't going to solve that problem. Nothing is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Try telling that to Jumping spiders that have to think and remember where and how to go get prey (there are experiments when a spider is put in a platform and a prey item is put in another platform. The spider can't jump from one to the other though. The spider has to trace back the tube and remember which one to climb. (there are dead-end tubes) and when the spider is in the ground it can't see the spider so it has to remember the path to take.

I never said they didn't have memory. What I meant was that they don't waste their time aimlessly pondering the mysteries of the universe that they KNOW they're never gonna know. I wasn't being degrading to bugs. I meant it as a good thing. They're simple and only think about what they NEED to think about and don't waste their time on anything else. I meant that we should be more like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes. It's a classification of different types of animals,
eeehh...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a category of biological classification ranking immediately below the genus or subgenus, comprising related organisms or populations potentially capable of interbreeding, and being designated by a binomial that consists of the name of a genus followed by a Latin or latinized uncapitalized noun or adjective agreeing grammatically with the genus name
so I guess god would consider individuals (opposite sex) who can't interbreed the same species?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeah, well, me too, but yelling at each other about evolution isn't going to solve that problem
Who's yelling? I haven't "heard" anyone yell in the whole entire thread.
oh yeah
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I didn't say homosexuals were the ONLY ones to be born hemaphrodite, now did I.
But you made it seem like they were related somehow (which they're not)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]eeehh...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a category of biological classification ranking immediately below the genus or subgenus, comprising related organisms or populations potentially capable of interbreeding, and being designated by a binomial that consists of the name of a genus followed by a Latin or latinized uncapitalized noun or adjective agreeing grammatically with the genus name

Gee, sorry for giving you a watered-down version instead of the most detailed definition in the universe. My apologies for ruining you day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Who's yelling? I haven't "heard" anyone yell in the whole entire thread.

Fine... scratch "yelling", insert "DEBATING VICIOUSLY".. I'll edit it right now.. chop chop!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But you made it seem like they were related somehow (which they're not)

Well, I didn't, so I guess that's just the way you saw it.

I'll go edit that right now, too, and make it oh-so-politically-correct! *skips off merrily*

for those of you who wanted to know more about what I believe and stuff,
go here: (edit: OOPPSS... here: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/whatis.htm )
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The need for the comfort of supernatural protection can nullify the need for proper evidence. Natural effects may be misread as super-natural.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This Atheist would also say that we know nothing of the above, but we do know that it, they or whatever does not react to human wants, desires or needs, has never ever exposed itself to humanity in such a manner that could leave any doubt, and is therefore irrelevant to us.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We must choose rationalism over wishful thinking.

Not everything in that page applies to me but 90% of it does.
Just telling you what I think...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll go edit that right now, too, and make it oh-so-politically-correct! *skips off merrily*
LOL!!! isn't sarcasm the best?

Where does everyone stand in regards to..., colors? I like green.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Jan. 01 2005,10:51)]Where does everyone stand in regards to..., colors? I like green.
Glad to see the rules i posted are proving helpful.

hemaphrodites actually have their own group, they're not homosexual, theyre, "tri"
smile.gif

Whoa, this is spinning out of control.

The only reason I care about this issue is because school boards in some backwards locations are actually pushing non-scientific theories as science upon helpless school children who don't know the difference.

Religion is a personal issue, and it's not really the subject of this debate. The origin of species as a factual matter, and the teaching of real science is the issue. Religion has no place in science, and science doesn't trump religion. That's why they've been kept separate all these years, and why they should stay that way. We are undermining the credibility of future generations of Americans by teaching them junk science that is really religion in a thin disguise. Real Universities, research institutes, pharmeceutical companies, and anyone else that hires scientists are going to scoff at students who've been taught creationism in place of science.

Personal beliefs and "greater truths" are the proper domain of religion. Science is about hard, cold facts. They are not substitutes for one another.

Capslock

There are many different kinds of hermaphrodite, and they're usually infertile as one sex, if not both. Both sex organs are rarely fully formed, if ever.

Besides, most of human evolution is basically over with in the conventional sense. That's what happens once you start modifying your environment rather than adapting to it. Things will develop medically, technologically, culturally... but in human society few if any traits are more useful than others in allowing someone to survive long enough to create offspring. If anything we're devolving because now negative traits are rarely weeded out (no, I'm not advocating eugenics here... just speaking objectively).

I believe the only conventional evolution we're currently undergoing is that our bodies are putting less and less energy into unnecessary features (like the jaw thing she mentioned, if it's true).

Would you call Rivulus marmoratus an exception to that?

Sorry, I meant human hermaphrodites specifically.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Jan. 02 2005,2:21)]Besides, most of human evolution is basically over with in the conventional sense. That's what happens once you start modifying your environment rather than adapting to it. Things will develop medically, technologically, culturally... but in human society few if any traits are more useful than others in allowing someone to survive long enough to create offspring. If anything we're devolving because now negative traits are rarely weeded out (no, I'm not advocating eugenics here... just speaking objectively).
I agree with you, totally.

Capslock,

Other schools are teaching things another theory. What's the diff?

Peter

God has created the simple to confound the wise. Looks like its workin'. Still no proof. You can point at someone else's work all you want and call it truth, but it doesn't mean that it is. God knows, we don't. We speculate and search, but it is still just ideas and speculation. The Bible was written by man, and therefore unacceptable to the scientist? Well, who wrote their work? God? I don't think so. Therefore, their work should be unacceptable to me? Keep speculating Alpha. Still no proof. I am waiting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Still no proof. I am waiting.
what about you?
Where's YOUR proof? I'm waiting. I've asked people multiple of times to give us proof and so far all people have come up with is to attack evolution with easily explainable things.
How are vestigial structures, fossils, embryos, DNA, etc. ALL TOGETHER "speculation"?
how is SEEING evolution "speculation"? people have SEEN speciation.
If you don't count that as proof and say that's "speculation" then I'm sorry but you're just living in lala land.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Bible was written by man, and therefore unacceptable to the scientist? Well, who wrote their work? God? I don't think so
yes... the simple to confound the wise...
look at the big picture and what we all have said. Don't just take one PART of a sentence and try to say that's what we stand for.

I didn't say that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back