What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone stand in regards to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm just too tired to post right right now :p

Look what happens when I dun look at the forum for a day...(15 pgs!)
ok...You can't "prove" either side, which I believed was mentioned early in this discussion.
I think, like some other people said that by God creating every animal, it could have been through evolution. The seven days? symbolic... we all know the entire animal population was not made in seven days. Maybe seven periods of time, etc.
So like somebody said earlier (sorry I'm not quoting anybody, hard to look back to every post) with the sculpture similie, if you say, make a program that copies itself, then you could say that you made all the copies as well. So God makes an animal, and it evolves and changes to become other animals... he made them all.
Now this Noah's arc thing...Who knows? Since God can make the
galaxy we believe... I"m sure he can make some water, get all the animals into a boat which he makes sure is sealed, preserves the plants in the brackish, distributes the animals back ...
The site is against the story in SCIENTIFIC reasoning, not in reasoning by faith and the power of God...even though it's against a story about the power of God.
The book for athiests which I think would be good...it uses reasoning that an atheist would find logical and very simple to comprehend is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis...
well that's enough for now
goodnight....have a day full of wonderful luck and happy encounters

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Dec. 28 2004,11:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you just contradicted yourself with that magnetic bone thing... its probably true too
right... and I'm also the devil trying to make you abandon your faith and come and join me in hell.
Thats rediculous...

Ok the link works now, but im just gonna act like you and john and ignore wat it says and act like i never saw it. just like your signature.

smile_m_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]people ignore facts that are inconvenient to them & believe ideas that are convenient to them

Funny thing is both you and john do dat
confused.gif

Droseradude, you're me only in scientific language! (see usernames lol)
I believe it states somewhere in the Bible that one day is 20,000 years to God... Er somethin like dat
confused.gif

I haven't read the whole thread, but I have a few cents to throw in...

Regarding Noah's Ark... beware of stories that require a lot of leeway and manipulation to become believable. Those stories reek far too much of human fabrication to ignore. I think it's reasonable to assume that a perfect being infinitely more powerful and aware of the workings of the world would have a much "cleaner" way of getting things done. Certainly it wouldn't be so flimsy that even today's school children could recognize critical flaws in the story, would it? I have to go with Ockham's Razor on this one.

There's a human signature on the ideas about Satan too, I think. When the comic book people came up with Superman, they soon realized a hero that could do anything unheeded didn't make for much of a story... the world would be cleaned up in no time. They needed a weakness to make the stories work, so kryptonite was born. Somewhat similarly, there's a very obvious conflict in the idea of an all-powerful all-loving God watching over a world filled with disaster and pain. To reconcile such a conflict and continue feeling like we were really being loved and taken care of, God had to have a weakness. People absolutely had to find this weakness or entire belief systems would be falling apart left and right. And naturally God would have to have this weakness willingly, or the "all-powerful" title would be rendered meaningless. So it isn't hard to envision how people's beliefs would consequently develop. I can't know either way, but personally it feels like a distinctly human story to me… things still don’t really add up.

Anyway... a general comment. A person can say "the universe is only 4000 years old and God made it appear that things have been around for billions of years", and no, technically there's no way to "prove" such a thing wrong. But the idea that the world is flat and propped up by giant turtles is equally feasible/probable/undisprovable as long as the turtles can somehow obscure our perception to make the world appear round. This is why the burden of proof is always on the person making the claim. Such statements may not be disprovable, however they can't validly be considered knowledge either… not remotely.

As far as I know no one here said the earth was 4000 years old thankfully, but this applies to some of the statements and "what ifs" I remember reading.

The main problem with all of the above is top-down thinking... i.e. determining the conclusion first and seeking out the evidence that supports it last. If you aim to prove something correct, you will. If you aim to prove the exact same thing false, you will. You'll favor (even just subconsciously) evidence supporting your theory and you'll devalue evidence against it. Any scientist who operates this way should have their credentials taken away from them. Real science is simply seeking truth, and being indifferent to what that truth may end up being. Solid results will lead to conclusions naturally with no fabrication required. If these religious beliefs are true, they are entirely scientific because science is merely the exploration of reality.

So no matter how logically and rationally you think you’re being (a general ‘you’, I’m not talking to anyone in particular)… if you’re using top-down thinking you’re failing miserably to think scientifically. Believing in God and angels and demons and then insisting on proving to yourself that they do in fact exist is not thinking scientifically. If evidence doesn’t support something very solidly and specifically on its own, there’s no reason to pick one conclusion over any of the other billion plausible conclusions. I’ve found that the ability to identify what is and isn’t top-down thinking alone can change your life, because it seems to be a very prevalent problem in the intellectual world.

So it’s ok to believe things that aren’t or can’t be proven (I believe plenty of them)… we’ve barely begun to figure out the world and life is too short to put our beliefs on hold until science gives the ok… but I feel you have to be very vigilant in not filing these things under “fact” in your mind, especially when you’re teaching them to someone else. It’s ok for these ideas to float in a place of uncertainty. By their nature they have to.

Anyway… I’m done rambling. My apologies to whoever actually waded through all this.
smile.gif
 I’m glad there are people who appreciate epistemology on this board. They’re very hard to find on most of the boards I’ve been on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Dec. 29 2004,12:31)]I believe it states somewhere in the Bible that one day is 20,000 years to God... Er somethin like dat
confused.gif
One more little comment I feel I have to add.
smile.gif

Time is a component of space-time... the fabric that makes up the material world. It's a very physical thing.

So I'm always curious to know why people feel that a being above/outside the physical world experiences time (beyond the obvious fact that a realm where time doesn't exist is often too alien for people to envision). Believing that the being exists temporally would make as little sense as believing it exists materially, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't an all-knowing being outside of time be "observing" all of time/reality in its entirety (including the eons we haven't experienced yet) within a single eternal "moment"?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mike King @ Dec. 28 2004,5:44)]Hey Dino,
   I think you are very much mistaken to say the Salvation army don't do much. Most of mankind's problems like Bosnia, our country etc are pretty much self inflicted.
   How do you expect God to help you when all you can do is stick your finger up at him?
I have lived there, and my grandmother lives there full time, I think I do know how it works.
All they do is peacekeep, we carry on the struggle ourselves.
If they really want to help, they should give us food and jobs.
They should lift the law that children have to pay to go to hospital.
And whats god done for us? Nothing. Nothing at all.
Thats why I odnt believe he exists. If he did exist, he would have helped us.

And back on topic.

Mutations do occur, and they are signs of evolution.
Dont you see a mutated ping flower?
Or how about a deferoned and mutated sundew leaf?
They are all signs of evolution.

Ah, nothing like a good ol' bipolar discussion to provide about 20 minutes of good reading, much like the political threads about 6 weeks ago. This is one of those topics that has no right or wrong answer. No one knows the truth yet. Your opinion on the matter is largely shaped by your upbringing and education. Science and religion both "evolved" by the same mechanism: a basic human need to understand that which they don't understand. Personally, I pretty much will always side with science. However, I don't agree that evolution is based on fact. It's based on theory, just as creationism is. No one really knows. Scientists just take the information they have and formulate theories based on this information, much like the creationist side. There's really no concrete facts that prove or disprove either side of the arguement. Just look at how much science has changed in the past couple of hundred years - where will we be at a couple of hundred years from now. Look at the study of human evolution: it's been probably altered more than anything over the past couple of decades. We are actually kind of an enigma, evolutionarily speaking. We've gone from primitive ape-men to the civilizations of Egypt in an extremely short period of time, evolutionarily speaking. Science has yet to come up with a logical explanation for this. Perhaps aliens came down and did some "breeding". I think it's just as plausible as any other explanation. No one really knows at this point in time. Spending 8 years in college and grad school studying science, I pretty much will believe what science says. But who's to say there is or isn't a God. There is certainly less evidence in favor of creationism, but perhaps the science end has yet to discover this evidence. For the most part, they certainly don't want to look for it and would much rather be proven right than proven wrong, which is why science is biased in a way, and you shouldn't take everything science says as 100% fact. I guess when you die, you'll finally know whether or not there is a God in Heaven.

This is only to give you an idea of a possible time line. Remarkable agreement exits between the scientific view and the biblical view if you just simply make the "days" longer than a simple 24-hr day.

15-20 billion years ago (Genesis 1:1) The beginning

Initial creation of the universe (big bang if you will) where time space and matter are all brought into existence form the spoken word of God.
5-6 billion years ago (Genesis 1:2)

The earth and solar system were a mere nebula ("formless and void"). God moves/stirs the waters (nebula). The entire universe is made mostly of hydrogen, which is the main ingredient or element of water.
4.6 billion years ago (Genesis 1:3) 1st Day Starts

"Let there be light". God ignited the sun. With some nebula remaining - the earth would have been surrounded on all sides by light (reflecting off the gaseous glowing "clouds" of the nebula).
4.5 billion years ago (Genesis 1:4)

Separation of light from darkness. God cleared away the nebula, and allowed for there to be darkness for the 1st time on one side of the earth (the side facing away from the sun).
4 billion years ago (Genesis 1:6) 2nd Day starts

The earth cools... water in a liquid state becomes possible, crude atmosphere (air space between the water and thick clouds) starts to take shape.
2.5 billion years ago (Genesis 1:6) 3rd Day starts

The surface of the earth itself begins to take shape, dry land appears, the continents and seas form.
1-2 billion years ago (Genesis 1:11)

The first plants are created.
1 billion years ago (Genesis 1:14) 4th Day starts

The earth's atmosphere clears and clearly reveals the sun, moon, and stars. Now that they are visible, God designates them as timekeepers.
500 million years ago (Genesis 1:20) 5th Day starts

God creates animal life in the oceans, then insects, and then amphibians.
500 million years ago (Genesis 1:20) 6th Day starts

God creates reptiles and dinosaurs. A little later in the "day" he creates mammals.
10-50 thousand years ago (Genesis 1:26)

God creates Adam (modern man). Subsequently all the rest of the events of the Bible unfold

wow guys im leavin this thread....people are making posts that are way too long.....those make my brain hurt
smile_n_32.gif
. ill check in on it periodically though.....good luck guys
~bon

The only "flaws" in the story that children can find are ones based on scientific reasoning

Just like droseradude, I go a away for a few hours and 7 more pages go by. Fyresprite (Bonnie).... I'd like to introduce you Flytrapgurl (Tanya). You gals are cut from the same fun and refreshing mold.

As Mr. Chaos says (and FTG), there are a lot more born again Christians out there than ya'll realize that don't have a problem with creation accomplished by means of what we understand or perceive to be evolution. What it all boils down is to whether you accept that God is Creator.... or not. Who cares how long it took. So what if it took billions or trillions of years? Does that mean that God couldn't have done things that way? Why do we have to tell god what He can and can't do? The Genesis account merely tells us that God is THE Creator - and HE isn't limited by our limited understanding. check out the end of the book of Job, when God sets Job straight on things.

I beleive in Micro-evolution. I think there was probably only one species of horse,Nepenthes,Droseracae,etc... on the Ark and so that would make them fit much easier.....I mean Micro-evolution is self evident,just look at all the goldfish varietes,and chickens compared to there wild species!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ok the link works now, but im just gonna act like you and john and ignore wat it says and act like i never saw it. just like your signature.
heh.... what FACTS are WE ignoring?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you aim to prove something correct, you will. If you aim to prove the exact same thing false, you will.
Ecolution was the other way around. First came fossils, finches, etc.... and then darwin and others thought up Evolution.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally, I pretty much will always side with science.  However, I don't agree that evolution is based on fact.  It's based on theory, just as creationism is
Evolution is a SCIENTIFIC theory and creationism is not even scientific let alone a (scientific) theory!
How is evolution not based on fact? Look at fossils, structures, mutations, etc... You can actually SEE and TOUCH those things (they are facts). Every time you get goosebumps you are using vestigial structures that a logical "creator" wouldn't have put there.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Scientists just take the information they have and formulate theories based on this information, much like the creationist side
What is creationism based on? (creationism is an example of the top-down thinking you're talking about... Evolution isn't) a book written by PEOPLE over a thousand years ago?
You can actually see and feel and experiment with evolution.
Creationism is not based on facts.
Stop comparing the two like that because it's completely different.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There's really no concrete facts that prove or disprove either side of the arguement.
true... since apparently a LOT of the bible is metaphors... but There are things that disprove what the bible says in writing..... If you want someone to believe something, tell them what to believe.

I guess people don't understand what I'm talking about...
cre·a·tion·ism
Function: noun
: a doctrine or theory holding that matter, the various forms of life, and the world were created by God out of nothing and usually in the way described in Genesis

let me emphasize "created by God out of nothing"... I don't know how you (you as in you all... I'm not singling out anyone) would twist it but to me that means that there is nothing before and you create something. If there's a horse-like thing that mates and gives birth to a horse that is NOT creating a horse out of nothing.
PondBoy... There are many species of nepenthes, etc.. so If you believe there was only one and then they branched out into everything then you believe in macro-evolution as well as micro-evolution.
Macro-evolution is when one species evolves to become another. (Ie. red wolves and gray wolves are different species... decendant of a single species)
Micro-evolution is when one species branches out and becomes subspecies (Ie. dogs are a subspecies of graywolves)

Nice to meet ya Tanya....i hope u didn't take any of my arguements personally. And if you did i apologize. lol JS i havent heard from you in a while. and Tanya if you ever want to talk just feel free to pm me or something. And really I don't see why it matters what people believe as long as they believe in something postive. And those of you that may have been offended by anything I've said...just so you know I respect your beliefs I just struggle to comprehend them.
~bon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Dec. 29 2004,5:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ok the link works now, but im just gonna act like you and john and ignore wat it says and act like i never saw it. just like your signature.
heh.... what FACTS are WE ignoring?
If you don't already know, I pity you
smile_m_32.gif

Just about anything that contradicts what you say. You respond to the posts, but you conveniently forget the one paragraph that proves you wrong...

Amen to Bonnies post...

well you can pity me all you want but just tell me what "facts" I'm ignoring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunDoode182 @ Dec. 29 2004,7:18)]If you don't already know, I pity you
smile_m_32.gif
Sounds like a cop out
you know that we aren't ignoring any facts, if you did know you would post them because it favors your argument.

Funny though. Darwin discounted his own theory before he died, and cared more about CP than anything else in the world. I am with Darwin on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back